• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Imagine an ant (now with PINKOMYRMEX)

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Manitobant - Posted October 16 2019 - 12:08 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Forelius unstoppabilis

The newest threat to the worlds ant fauna, this destructive pest is one of the worst invasives on the planet, even surpassing solenopsis invicta. It was originally from the atacama desert in Chile, one of the driest places on earth. Because of this, the species evolved many absurd survival traits, such as being supercolonial, which allows colonies to share the scarce amount of food. Unfertilized queens are capable of producing tons of males to fertilize them, as well as to fertilize other queens in other nests through massive nuptial flights. Because of all these traits, they have become extremely invasive and spread to almost every part of the world, including cold climates, where they take advantage of the colder and wetter temperatures as well as the new abundance of food. They can nest in just about anything, from cracks to soil and even electronics. They also split extremely often and have many nests with hundreds of queens. Queens themselves also produce hundreds of new queens and males in a single batch of eggs. Newly mated queens often produce these queens In the same batch as their first nanitics, allowing for unimaginable growth in captivity. Their huge appetite is also bad for other ants, as they will easily outcompete them and raid their nests for even more food in the form of their brood and even queens. They can use chemicals to passify their prey and then easily kill them. No solutions to the problem have come up as they always seem to bounce back from everything we throw at them.

Edited by Manitobant, October 16 2019 - 12:10 PM.

• Mettcollsuss, Wa.Va, DDD101DDD and 1 other like this

#62 Offline Broncos - Posted October 16 2019 - 4:15 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California

Pogonomyrmex Hypotheria
This ferocious ant from the tundra are capable of withstanding temperatures well below 0 hence their name. They harvest seeds like the normal pogonomyrmex but often have to substitute them with insects like mosquitoes and other hardy insects when it is winter. But to prevent this struggle to find seeds, they climb to the tops of every tree and plant to find and keep the seeds in their massive chamber (mainly in spring, summer, and the beginning of fall)! To make temperatures more suitable, they close the nest, then shake their bodies extremely fast and create an amazing temperature of about 80 degrees. These ants are polygonous and also polymorphic. They have minors, super majors, repletes for the winter, and a specialized ant for shaking and creating heat in the nest! This amazing ant has only been spotted once but we know its out there somewhere...

Why in the world would a harvester ant evolve repletes?
Bruh "Imagine an ant" plus repletes are amazing.

Edited by Broncos, October 16 2019 - 4:15 PM.

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#63 Offline Broncos - Posted October 16 2019 - 4:17 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Pogonomyrmex Hypotheria
This ferocious ant from the tundra are capable of withstanding temperatures well below 0 hence their name. They harvest seeds like the normal pogonomyrmex but often have to substitute them with insects like mosquitoes and other hardy insects when it is winter. But to prevent this struggle to find seeds, they climb to the tops of every tree and plant to find and keep the seeds in their massive chamber (mainly in spring, summer, and the beginning of fall)! To make temperatures more suitable, they close the nest, then shake their bodies extremely fast and create an amazing temperature of about 80 degrees. These ants are polygonous and also polymorphic. They have minors, super majors, repletes for the winter, and a specialized ant for shaking and creating heat in the nest! This amazing ant has only been spotted once but we know its out there somewhere...

Found once, but we know everything about its biology?
Let's just say that the find was very lucky and scientists studied it for months.???

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

#64 Offline ponerinecat - Posted October 19 2019 - 8:19 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I think one criteria should be that it's semi realistic. Harvesters don't eat liquid food, so no point in repletes.

• Ferox_Formicae likes this

#65 Offline Manitobant - Posted October 20 2019 - 3:08 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
Neivamyrmex canadensis

Neivamyrmex canadensis is unique among army ants, and the dorylinae as a whole, for its ability to permanently live in cold climates. It can be found as far north as southern canada, where it routinely raids other ant colonies. It is not commonly collected because of its subterranean habits, with workers being almost completely blind and relying on touch and pheromones to locate prey. Throughout the warmer months, it acts like most other neivamyrmex, performing raids under the cover of darkness, but when winter kicks in is when things get interesting. This species doesnt hibernate like other ants in its range, and instead burrows deep underground and raids hibernating ant colonies by digging into their nest from below. This strategy is insanely effective as the prey barely reacts to the presence of the army ants, and even entire formica obscuripes colonies can be massacred. They are exceptional diggers, often traveling many meters in a single day. They also don't require as much food as other army ants, which means that if they don't have any luck finding an ant colony to break into, they won't die.

Edited by Manitobant, October 20 2019 - 3:14 PM.

• Somethinghmm, Antennal_Scrobe and DDD101DDD like this

#66 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 20 2019 - 3:14 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Neivamyrmex canadensis

Neivamyrmex canadensis is unique among army ants, and the dorylinae as a whole, for its ability to permanently live in cold climates. It can be found as far north as southern canada, where it routinely raids other ant colonies. It is not commonly collected because of its subterranean habits, with workers being almost completely blind and relying on touch and pheromones to locate prey. Throughout the warmer months, it acts like most other neivamyrmex, performing raids under the cover of darkness, but when winter kicks in is when things get interesting. This species doesnt hibernate like other ants in its range, and instead burrows deep underground and raids hibernating ant colonies by digging into their nest from below. This strategy is insanely effective as the prey barely reacts to the presence of the army ants, and even entire formica obscuripes colonies can be massacred. They are exceptional diggers, often traveling up many meters in a single day. They also don't require as much food as other army ants, which means that if they don't have any luck finding an ant colony to break into, they won't die.

This sounds like the kind of species that evil scientists make and ends up accidentally destroying the ecosystem. 

• TennesseeAnts and Manitobant like this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#67 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 20 2019 - 4:31 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Tbh sounds like discount Solenopsis molesta
  • Somethinghmm likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#68 Offline Manitobant - Posted October 20 2019 - 4:32 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts

they raid in winter?

#69 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 20 2019 - 4:34 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

they raid in winter?
No but they raid at pretty low temperatures too
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#70 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 20 2019 - 8:03 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Has anyone noticed that half of these are about nearctic versions of tropical or subtropical species that ant keepers are just fantasizing about keeping? I mean, an arctic Attine? Canadian Cephalotes? High north Neivamyrmex? Not trying to be mean, just sayin'...  :lol:

• TennesseeAnts, Manitobant and DDD101DDD like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#71 Offline ponerinecat - Posted October 22 2019 - 2:54 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Has anyone noticed that half of these are about nearctic versions of tropical or subtropical species that ant keepers are just fantasizing about keeping? I mean, an arctic Attine? Canadian Cephalotes? High north Neivamyrmex? Not trying to be mean, just sayin'...  :lol:

stop flaunting your amazing diversity which lets you sell psuedomyrmex and makes me sad

• TennesseeAnts and Ferox_Formicae like this

#72 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 22 2019 - 4:56 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

stop flaunting your amazing diversity which lets you sell psuedomyrmex and makes me sad

What do you mean? Cali has way more species than SC! Though, like a quarter of that is made up of Strumigenys alone...

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#73 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 22 2019 - 5:56 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

What do you mean? Cali has way more species than SC! Though, like a quarter of that is made up of Strumigenys alone...

In California, you can't find Colobopsis queens on your garden fence.  Also, it is harder to find ants(with the exception of L. humile in coastal So Cal without driving quite a few miles.  Sometimes more than 100. 

• Broncos likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#74 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 22 2019 - 6:14 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

In California, you can't find Colobopsis queens on your garden fence.  Also, it is harder to find ants(with the exception of L. humile in coastal So Cal without driving quite a few miles.  Sometimes more than 100. 

You do have a point. I actually used to live in SoCal. Granted, I was five when I moved, but I still remember quite a good deal of it. Lots of wildfires, my backyard being covered in ash, this one big river up in the mountains, a cool looking garter snake. Quite a few cool thing. I don't remember the ants though.

• TennesseeAnts and Broncos like this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#75 Offline FSTP - Posted October 22 2019 - 7:13 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I imagined an ant and then it stung me.

#76 Offline Broncos - Posted October 23 2019 - 8:51 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

I think one criteria should be that it's semi realistic. Harvesters don't eat liquid food, so no point in repletes.

My P. Californians chugs sugar water and sunburst ant nectar.

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

#77 Offline Broncos - Posted October 23 2019 - 8:54 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Your so right L. Humble is the most annoying ant because it replaces all of the cool ants we used to have. IE, pogonomyrmex, camponotus, and pheidole.
Although pheidole navigans is still around but being displaced by brachymyrmex patagonicus. ☹️

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

#78 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 23 2019 - 9:53 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Your so right L. Humble is the most annoying ant because it replaces all of the cool ants we used to have. IE, pogonomyrmex, camponotus, and pheidole.
Although pheidole navigans is still around but being displaced by brachymyrmex patagonicus. ☹️

Pheidole navigans is also invasive. They live hear too, and they're becoming more and more prevalent, though they really don't have too much effect on native ants, usually living in very close proximity in Pheidole bicarinata.

• TennesseeAnts and Broncos like this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#79 Offline ponerinecat - Posted October 23 2019 - 3:48 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

california has amazing diversity. we have syscia, psuedomyrmex, stigmatomma, strumigenys, acromyrmex, cyphomyrmex, proceratium, dolopomyrmex, etc. It just so happens that all of these are rare, obscure ants that live in specific conditions and/or have only been found on several occasions.

#80 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 23 2019 - 4:45 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

california has amazing diversity. we have syscia, psuedomyrmex, stigmatomma, strumigenys, acromyrmex, cyphomyrmex, proceratium, dolopomyrmex, etc. It just so happens that all of these are rare, obscure ants that live in specific conditions and/or have only been found on several occasions.

*clears throat* Well we've got at the very least 19 unique species of Strumigenys, at the most over 27! You guys have got three. Sorry... Just wanted to rant over how Strumigenys are rare out west. That's the reason I don't really want to go back to Cali. You guys have got like no Strumigenys! I feel bad for western states...

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users