• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

DDD101DDD's Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 10 2019 - 12:50 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I put the colony in my garage for hibernation today.

Keep a extremely close eye on those gals then. The risk with their environment not being climate controlled is if you aren't careful enough, you can possibly kill off your entire colony
there would be a natural cool down in a garage.

#22 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 11 2019 - 7:18 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Keep a extremely close eye on those gals then. The risk with their environment not being climate controlled is if you aren't careful enough, you can possibly kill off your entire colony
But if it drops below 45 there will most likely be avoidable casualties

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#23 Offline Mdrogun - Posted October 11 2019 - 7:36 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

As the myrmecologist James Trager once said, if I'm recalling correctly, pretty much all Camponotus this far north can survive sub 32F temperatures. His garage will never get below freezing. They'll be fine. You must understand that Camponotus pennsylvanicus stay in the wood year round. That doesn't offer them any protection from extreme cold. When we hit -60F up here last winter, the Camponotus were at the same temperature. They will be fine.

• TennesseeAnts, TheRealAntMan and Chickalo like this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#24 Offline Boog - Posted October 11 2019 - 7:40 AM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Camponotus pennsylvanicus is know to produce an anti-freeze compound, glycerol, that can protect them from low temperatures. My colony was able to overwinter in high 30s with no casualties. As long as there is gradual cool down to allow the ants to build up their cold resistance they should be fine. I'll be putting my Camponotus colony in a garage for this winter again but I do check on them at least twice a month.

My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#25 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 11 2019 - 11:57 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Camponotus pennsylvanicus is know to produce an anti-freeze compound, glycerol, that can protect them from low temperatures. My colony was able to overwinter in high 30s with no casualties. As long as there is gradual cool down to allow the ants to build up their cold resistance they should be fine. I'll be putting my Camponotus colony in a garage for this winter again but I do check on them at least twice a month.

I have had a couple workers die in some of my colonies when it dropped to or below freezing

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#26 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 11 2019 - 12:15 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
Like I said, a garage would have a natural cool down which would allow the anti freeze in the ants to work.

#27 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 11 2019 - 12:20 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Like I said, a garage would have a natural cool down which would allow the anti freeze in the ants to work.

I cooled them down, dropping them 5 degrees every seven days (it took a day or two to actually drop the 5 degrees) until they were down to a little over freezing. So maybe I didn't do it gradually enough? 

#28 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 11 2019 - 1:01 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

I cooled them down, dropping them 5 degrees every seven days (it took a day or two to actually drop the 5 degrees) until they were down to a little over freezing. So maybe I didn't do it gradually enough?
Is your garage a little warmer than the outside temperature? You don’t cool them you just leave them in the garage and let the temperature outside cool your garage.

#29 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 11 2019 - 5:03 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Is your garage a little warmer than the outside temperature? You don’t cool them you just leave them in the garage and let the temperature outside cool your garage.

I use a wine cooler because my garage is full of some of my belongings

#30 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 11 2019 - 7:04 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York
kewl ants

This is what they currently look like.

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#31 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 12 2019 - 6:49 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Looking good, where are the other ants though?

#32 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 12 2019 - 7:09 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Looking good, where are the other ants though?

The other 2 are out of the picture.

#33 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 12 2019 - 7:14 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Okay, making sure because it would be weird to have the nanitics die so soon

#34 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 12 2019 - 7:35 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York
ANTSg
More can be seen here.

Also, they covered their nestmate with sand. Would this be a problem?

Edited by DDD101DDD, October 12 2019 - 7:36 AM.

#35 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 12 2019 - 7:37 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois
No, there can be two reasons why. They are suffocating mold or just prepping for hibernation
  • DDD101DDD likes this

#36 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 12 2019 - 7:45 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

No, there can be two reasons why. They are suffocating mold or just prepping for hibernation

Ok, thanks. I hope its for hibernation and not mold. Also, should I take it out and clean it, just in case there is mold?

#37 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 12 2019 - 1:55 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Ok, thanks. I hope its for hibernation and not mold. Also, should I take it out and clean it, just in case there is mold?

If it's mold, it's likely on the nest mate. Even if it it mold you have nothing to worry about, as they would easily be able to suffocate it. You can cotton the nest mate area up and see if the nest mate has any mold on it. If so just tell me and I can help you with damage control of needed.

#38 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 12 2019 - 2:09 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

If it's mold, it's likely on the nest mate. Even if it it mold you have nothing to worry about, as they would easily be able to suffocate it. You can cotton the nest mate area up and see if the nest mate has any mold on it. If so just tell me and I can help you with damage control of needed.

Ok, thanks.

• Da_NewAntOnTheBlock likes this

#39 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 12 2019 - 2:12 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I don't see any mold growing in this picture, but the lighting could be better. I don't think it's mold anyways. Ant species plug up their nest entrances during hibernation, so it's probably the case here. However you can never be too careful.
  • DDD101DDD likes this

#40 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted November 2 2019 - 3:29 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

So I may have a problem. My garage actually feels warmer then the rest of my house. Should I move them to my shed, which is outside?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users