• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ferox's Ant Journals (Updated 05/22/2020) Polygynous Trachymyrmex + Tons of Other Stuff!

• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Aaron567 - Posted October 21 2019 - 1:30 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Pseudomyrmex leptosus are rather strange in that they seem to kill their ejectus host queen whereas other workerless inquilines would not, and therefore can survive off of their hosts for a much longer time. Perhaps P. leptosus may be on their way to evolving temporary parasitism.

• TennesseeAnts and Ferox_Formicae like this

#62 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 21 2019 - 1:33 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Sounds cool, you should open up a shop. No one has really explored artificially cavity formicariums

I've certainly been thinking about that.

• TennesseeAnts, Antennal_Scrobe and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#63 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 21 2019 - 2:16 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Sounds cool, you should open up a shop. No one has really explored artificially cavity formicariums

I've certainly been thinking about that.

well, its is certainly up to you.

• Ferox_Formicae likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#64 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 23 2019 - 5:44 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

The Strumigenys silvestrii queen has died.  :*(

The formicarium for my smaller Camponotus castaneus colony has been completed and the colony has been moved in. The exterior is a bit messy, but the inside looks pretty nice, especially when lit from the hole in the top. The ants are looking pretty happy in their new formicarium, and next time I find a wild nest, I will be collecting some pupa and boosting my colony. I will be showing pictures soon.

Two of the artificial cavity nests have been placed in the wild, one high up in a Water Oak tree where I've seen colonies of Colobopsis obliqua and Pseudomyrmex ejectus, and another partially buried at the base of an Eastern Redcedar where I've seen colonies of two species of StrumigenysS. membranifera and S. louisianae. I'm hoping that possibly colonies will move into these cavity nests, and many more will be placed over the next few weeks and I plan to leave them there until May or June, but no later than late July.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#65 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted November 7 2019 - 6:48 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I found the first ever Gnamptogenys triangularis ever found in South Carolina, and even better, she's a queen!!! I cannot believe it! They're rare enough as it is in Florida and other states where they've been introduced to, but here I am finding one in an entirely new state!!! I plan on housing her in a test tube with some soil in it and feeding her pre-killed greenhouse millipedes.

• TennesseeAnts and Antennal_Scrobe like this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#66 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted November 7 2019 - 6:56 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Sooooo jealous! I wish you the best of luck!

#67 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 7 2019 - 7:10 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yay, another new state record. Day in the life of Ferox Formicae. Next he'll find a population of nomamyrmex esenbecki in Canada. :D

• TennesseeAnts, Ferox_Formicae and Antennal_Scrobe like this

#68 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted November 7 2019 - 7:18 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Yay, another new state record. Day in the life of Ferox Formicae. Next he'll find a population of nomamyrmex esenbecki in Canada. :D

I wouldn't put it past him.... :lol:

#69 Offline camponotuskeeper - Posted November 7 2019 - 7:18 PM

camponotuskeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationWashington

I found the first ever Gnamptogenys triangularis ever found in South Carolina, and even better, she's a queen!!! I cannot believe it! They're rare enough as it is in Florida and other states where they've been introduced to, but here I am finding one in an entirely new state!!! I plan on housing her in a test tube with some soil in it and feeding her pre-killed greenhouse millipedes.

can you get a picture of the queen?

Edited by camponotuskeeper, November 7 2019 - 7:19 PM.

#70 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted November 7 2019 - 7:27 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I found the first ever Gnamptogenys triangularis ever found in South Carolina, and even better, she's a queen!!! I cannot believe it! They're rare enough as it is in Florida and other states where they've been introduced to, but here I am finding one in an entirely new state!!! I plan on housing her in a test tube with some soil in it and feeding her pre-killed greenhouse millipedes.

can you get a picture of the queen?

Yeah, here you go:

original (7)

• Karma, Antennal_Scrobe and camponotuskeeper like this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#71 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 7 2019 - 7:35 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

nice

#72 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted November 7 2019 - 7:39 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

I found the first ever Gnamptogenys triangularis ever found in South Carolina, and even better, she's a queen!!! I cannot believe it! They're rare enough as it is in Florida and other states where they've been introduced to, but here I am finding one in an entirely new state!!! I plan on housing her in a test tube with some soil in it and feeding her pre-killed greenhouse millipedes.

According to AntWiki this species is resistant to cyanide, being able to survive in a collection jar full of the stuff for 12 hours, while other ants died within 5 minutes. Apparently it's an adaptation to deal with millipede poison.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#73 Offline camponotuskeeper - Posted November 7 2019 - 7:50 PM

camponotuskeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationWashington

According to AntWiki this species is resistant to cyanide, being able to survive in a collection jar full of the stuff for 12 hours, while other ants died within 5 minutes. Apparently it's an adaptation to deal with millipede poison.
that sounds like an absolutely insane adaptation, I wonder if scientists could apply that to other organisms. They survived for 3 hours and we’re dead by 12 hours.

Edited by camponotuskeeper, November 7 2019 - 7:53 PM.

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

#74 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 7 2019 - 9:30 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Its because some millipedes will release a non fatal to humans version of cyanide gas. We have them here, and before I knew that I would handle them freely. Always did think they smelled odd. I'm pretty sure there's also some beetles which have become near immune to cyanide as a result of hunting millipedes.

• TennesseeAnts, Ferox_Formicae, Antennal_Scrobe and 1 other like this

#75 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted November 14 2019 - 3:17 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

How's the Gnamptogenys queen doing?

Currently keeping:

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#76 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted November 14 2019 - 4:09 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

How's the Gnamptogenys queen doing?

She seems to be doing very well and was eating the millipede I gave her.
  • Antennal_Scrobe likes this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#77 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted November 14 2019 - 4:45 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Any eggs yet? Gnamptogenys are a favorite of mine.

Currently keeping:

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#78 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted November 14 2019 - 7:04 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Any eggs yet? Gnamptogenys are a favorite of mine.
I’m not seeing any yet.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#79 Offline Aaron567 - Posted November 14 2019 - 7:19 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

How did you obtain the greehouse millipedes? I'm trying to use them as the food for my Gnamptogenys queen but am having trouble finding them.

#80 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted November 14 2019 - 8:46 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

How did you obtain the greehouse millipedes? I'm trying to use them as the food for my Gnamptogenys queen but am having trouble finding them.

Well I didn’t use a Greenhouse Millipede this time, but I find Greenhouse Millipedes to be common under objects, especially in moist areas. I don’t think you need Greenhouse Millipedes in particular.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users