• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ferox's Ant Journals (Updated 05/22/2020) Polygynous Trachymyrmex + Tons of Other Stuff!

• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

#201 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 16 2020 - 2:08 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
I was in a Lasius cf. neonigerflight last summer. One was on my shirt and another was in my hair. That was a crazy day. I should’ve expected something like that seeing as they are the most prevalent ant in my area.
  • AntsDakota likes this

#202 Offline AntsExodus - Posted March 16 2020 - 6:13 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

At least you have cool ant species that are abundant. Solenopsis Invicta have so many queens in the summer I caught 300+ queens last year! Sold all of them through the GAN project. I'm not a big Solenopsis Invicta fan...

#203 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted March 16 2020 - 7:07 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

At least you have cool ant species that are abundant. Solenopsis Invicta have so many queens in the summer I caught 300+ queens last year! Sold all of them through the GAN project. I'm not a big Solenopsis Invicta fan...

Who is? Honestly, the only good thing about RIFA is that wherever they are, Cyphomyrmex rimosus colonies can't be far away.

Edited by Ferox_Formicae, March 16 2020 - 7:08 PM.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#204 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 16 2020 - 7:18 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I bet the GAN kids in your state threw their devices and ran out the door to your location when they saw your offer.

• TennesseeAnts and Ferox_Formicae like this

#205 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 17 2020 - 2:25 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,427 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
A few more winters like the one we had this year, and VA will be lousy with RIFA. Our average temps were more in line with what was expected for Atlanta twenty years ago. Scary.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#206 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 17 2020 - 4:24 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

yikes...

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#207 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 17 2020 - 5:01 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Our door is always open if the south gets to warm for y’all.
  • TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#208 Offline madbiologist - Posted March 17 2020 - 5:41 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio
Nah, move to Ohio.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
  • ANTdrew likes this

#209 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 17 2020 - 6:16 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,427 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Ya’ll are next, Ohio. I’ll be going further north than that if the $hit hits the proverbial fan.
  • AntsDakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#210 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 17 2020 - 6:52 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Come to Illinois lol

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#211 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 17 2020 - 6:57 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Ya’ll are next, Ohio. I’ll be going further north than that if the $hit hits the proverbial fan.

I'm staying right where I'm at lol. Maybe even buy a couple thousand acres in Alaska. If these people are right (highly doubt they are) I'll have prime real estate by 2030!

• AntsDakota likes this

#212 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 17 2020 - 7:15 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

lol

#213 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 17 2020 - 9:14 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Cali's a little wierd. Nor is too cold for rifa, So is perfect for em.

• AntsDakota likes this

#214 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 17 2020 - 12:56 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Nah, move to Ohio.

Nah, come where the real estate’s cheap and there’s no state income taxes. Certain rural areas have stunning scenery, and there’s no air pollution and few traffic jams. The largest cities even have flights to Chicago, Phoenix, San
Diego, among a few dozen more I can’t think of right off hand, along with malls, movie theaters, diverse shopping, historic tourism, and phenomenal health care! We even have multiple minor league sports teams! MUCH MORE THAN FARMLAND AND MOUNT RUSHMORE PEOPLE!

Edited by AntsDakota, March 17 2020 - 12:59 PM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#215 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 17 2020 - 1:06 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

wow, you make a compelling case however you don't have gangs of ants unlike chicago (sorry I had to make that joke)

• AntsDakota likes this

#216 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted March 17 2020 - 2:55 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Guys guys, I'm sure that you're all forgetting that in South Carolina we have 4 species of Pseudomyrmex, 4 species of NeivamyrmexGnamptogenys triangularis, 12 species of Camponotus, 13 Aphaenogaster, 2 fungus-farming Attines, 12 species of Pheidole, the only dimorphic Pogonomyrmex in North America, 18 Strumigenys, and it's almost guaranteed we have at least 1 species of Odontomachus.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#217 Offline madbiologist - Posted March 17 2020 - 2:57 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

Guys guys, I'm sure that you're all forgetting that in South Carolina we have 4 species of Pseudomyrmex, 4 species of Neivamyrmex, Gnamptogenys triangularis, 12 species of Camponotus, 13 Aphaenogaster, 2 fungus-farming Attines, 12 species of Pheidole, the only dimorphic Pogonomyrmex in North America, 18 Strumigenys, and it's almost guaranteed we have at least 1 species of Odontomachus.

But what you don't have is 26 species of Formica.

#218 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 17 2020 - 3:01 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

wow, you make a compelling case however you don't have gangs of ants unlike chicago (sorry I had to make that joke)

We do have a few gangs and violent crimes, yet not nearly as bad as Chicago.

Here's what we do have-

The Badlands are a very arid and very beautiful region.              The Black Hills is a forest/mountain range with its own species of evergreen, which is the state tree. 

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis love this area.                                The mountains here  are higher than anything in the Appalachains. Lots of ant diversity here.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTXQkd9JRRViv48wVZF-        images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTIWaI8LtgFiboSxPcrJ       images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcS3sTlMa8R5dPAiea7EJ

Sioux Falls is the largest city in the state, with almost 200,000 inhabitants. It is scenic, historic, and a shopping center. It has dozens of parks, encouraging a plethora of ant diversity as well.

The Falls                                                                                                                                                               Skyline

220px-Falls_Park%2C_Sioux_Falls%2C_SD.jp                                                      250px-Downtown_Sioux_Falls_from_6th_St_B    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTFY4f4YsKKCOwmaPvbB

Just north of Sioux Falls is the beautiful Palisades Park. I'm sure there's plenty of ant species here, as well.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQEMI37aaU9-kkwPWSjw

Great state to live in, great ants to keep, lots of nature to see.

Edited by AntsDakota, March 17 2020 - 3:25 PM.

#219 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted March 17 2020 - 3:06 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Guys guys, I'm sure that you're all forgetting that in South Carolina we have 4 species of Pseudomyrmex, 4 species of Neivamyrmex, Gnamptogenys triangularis, 12 species of Camponotus, 13 Aphaenogaster, 2 fungus-farming Attines, 12 species of Pheidole, the only dimorphic Pogonomyrmex in North America, 18 Strumigenys, and it's almost guaranteed we have at least 1 species of Odontomachus.

We have 12 though, though the only common species are anything in the Formica pallidefulva species group and ants of the Formica fusca-group further north. However, Formica aren't exactly the coolest ants out there. I mean, there's a reason Mark Deyrup refers to them as the "Classic Northern Ants". Sure they can make large mounds out of collected plant materials and can raid other species, steeling their brood to keep as their own, but can they snap their mandibles shut at nearly 200 mph? Can they farm fungus that grows nowhere else in the world? Do they have cultures of bacteria that grows on their prosternum that are used as a natural weed control for that fungus? Do they have a coloration that makes you think they're a tropical species at first sight? Do people freak out in jealousy when they find out you have them? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????????

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#220 Offline madbiologist - Posted March 17 2020 - 3:08 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

We have 12 though, though the only common species are anything in the Formica pallidefulva species group and ants of the Formica fusca-group further north. However, Formica aren't exactly the coolest ants out there. I mean, there's a reason Mark Deyrup refers to them as the "Classic Northern Ants". Sure they can make large mounds out of collected plant materials and can raid other species, steeling their brood to keep as their own, but can they snap their mandibles shut at nearly 200 mph? Can they farm fungus that grows nowhere else in the world? Do they have cultures of bacteria that grows on their prosternum that are used as a natural weed control for that fungus? Do they have a coloration that makes you think they're a tropical species at first sight? Do people freak out in jealousy when they find out you have them? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????????
I mean if you had any parasitic species, yeah, I would.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users