• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Kansas City - 06 Sept 2019

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline fdiwen - Posted September 6 2019 - 5:18 PM

fdiwen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOlathe, KS

1. Location of collection (ie: park/area, city/town, state/province, country).

• Plastic pipe from irrigation system (near broken head - they got in the crack)

2. Date of collection (more important for ID's of queens).

• July 6, 2019.  Collected as a small colony (Queen + 80-100 each of workers and egg/larva/pupa).  There were more workers/brood, but I was unable capture all of them as they'd started moving some brood to safety after I disturbed their nest site.

3. Habitat of collection (ie: desert scrub, oak forest, riparian, etc.).

• Suburban landscaping - woody and wet, but may not indicate much about habitat

4. Length (to the nearest millimeter or 1/16th of an inch.)

• 2.5 to 4 mm (workers).  Queen - hidden

5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture (ie: dark redish-orange head, velvet-like gaster, translucent, hairy/bald, shiny/dull, etc.).

• Almost totally black. Thorax may be slightly reddish, but very slight.  Some photos show fairly enlarged gasters - they just devoured a huge mound of honey yesterday and are quite full.  Not all specimens have that large of gaster.

6. Distinguishing characteristics (ie: one petiole node/two petiole nodes, length and orientation of any spines or bumps on the thorax or waist, head shape, eye size, shape of mandibles, number of antennal segments, etc.)

• Hard to say - only have 15x phone macro lens

7. Anything else distinctive (ie: odor, behavior, characteristics relative to others in the colony, etc.).

• Love honey, sugar-water is largely ignored, fruit (grapes, cherries, mango, etc) are accepted but not with the gusto of honey.  Eats pretty much any protein I offer.

8. Nest description (if you can find the nest, and you're sure it belongs to the ant you collected) (ie: rotted log, volcano-shaped mound of coarse gavel 10cm in diameter, etc.).

• see collection - plastic pipe

9. Nuptial flight time and date (if you witnessed the ant or it's colony having a nuptial flight or caught an alate you are confident was flying that day or time)

• n/a

10 . Post the clearest pictures possible of the top, side, and face of the ant in question, and if possible, their nest and the habitat they were collected in.

• No photo available of the queen - she's camera shy.  Workers attached.  Sorry for the low quality.  That is a toothpick cross-section in the picture for scale as well.

Ant Id

Edited by fdiwen, September 7 2019 - 3:40 AM.

#2 Offline rbarreto - Posted September 6 2019 - 7:44 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
Can you try to embed your photos. Most of us don't want to click on random links.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 7 2019 - 6:31 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Tapinoma sessile. Highly polygynous and fast growing.

#4 Offline ForestDragon - Posted September 7 2019 - 6:39 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

I +1 on that tapinoma sessile, they produce more queens for the colony as they get older i have a 9 queen colony atm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users