• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Temnothorax spp. Journal (chandleri worker!)

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#61 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 9 2020 - 12:49 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Moved colony one, they lost 4 brood. They have 2 workers that are over half the size of the queen. Here are photos of them, and Colony 2. Colony 2 has 17 brood, as well as 4 workers, with 3 different color workers. Sadly they won't stick together, so no hreat photos of them all.
Colony 1:

Colony 2:

• AntsDakota likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#62 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted December 10 2020 - 7:49 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

I have a colony of Temonthorax smithi (Urbani) which I just love.  Small colony but beautiful ants!

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#63 Offline AntsDakota - Posted December 10 2020 - 7:58 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Temnothorax are on my list for this year.

• Ants_Dakota and M_Ants like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#64 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 10 2020 - 9:25 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Temnothorax are on my list for this year.

mine too!

• M_Ants and Devi like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#65 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 21 2021 - 3:47 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

These ants once again have shown their worth. The colony that had a bunch of brood, went without water for weeks :whistle: and also food too. Being amazing Temnothorax though, they managed to keep their brood alive, and didn't lose a single worker. As a reward for being good ants, and because I needed to give them a nest that I could hydrate better than a test tube, I made a formicarium out of an old california live oak twig. I flattened one surface of the twig, and, using my pocket knife, carved a little chamber. I then use two globs of hot glue to attach it to the side of a 4x4x4 inch amac box. The plan here is when/if the colony outgrows the twig, I will simply add another twig. And when I do so, I will do it on the other side of the outworld, so it will be more like a satellite nest. I am not 100% sure what this species nests in in the wild, but I am pretty certain that they nest in the roots of sagebrush. And, when the colony from last year escaped, they nested inside the sides of a cardboard box, so I think they like wood.

When I dumped them into the box, they, like any normal ants would do, ran around a bit. Then, the queen(yes, this is the first time I have ever seen a queen be smarter than her children) decided that the twig would be a better home, and decided to move in. The other workers, besides one, havent caught on yet, and are storing the brood near the entrance of the twig. Pictures will come soon.

• M_Ants likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#66 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 21 2021 - 3:49 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

funny that you made another post on this today, because I just read through all this today. maybe I should read all the journals I want people to update...

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#67 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 21 2021 - 3:51 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Lol. Methinks my Pheidole journal will be the next updated.....

#68 Offline M_Ants - Posted January 21 2021 - 4:08 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Pics!

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#69 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 21 2021 - 4:47 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Sorry for the terrible quality. As soon as I find my macro lens, I will post better pictures.

#70 Offline M_Ants - Posted January 21 2021 - 4:59 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

That's rad. They don't need moisture?

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#71 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 21 2021 - 5:29 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I put a few drops onto the wood. They nest in very dry areas, so Ill give them a wet soaked cotton ball, and occasionally put a few drops of water onto the wood.

#72 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 21 2021 - 6:08 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

wow!!! you mimicked their natural habitat! that's awesome!

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#73 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 24 2021 - 4:03 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Pictures!

20210124 153857
20210124 153716
20210124 155213
20210124 155057

Edited by NickAnter, January 24 2021 - 4:03 PM.

#74 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 24 2021 - 4:12 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Oh, and I have changed my mind again on the ID of these ants. After reading up on the tricarinatus group, which they are undoubtedly in, I have come to the conclusion that these may be T. rudis. I will need to get a specimen under the microscope to be sure, but I have always wondered at the relatively light color of these ants, and supposedly, rudis are generally lighter than nevadensis. Of course, color isn't a great way to ID ants, so, once a worker dies, I will put it under the microscope to inspect the petiole, which is the key difference between rudis and nevadensis.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#75 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 26 2021 - 11:10 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

ozGiP6oXCJfmIiEU55RZOz9em3D0Ybz9sa8lA-qVPiKlmn9W5N1rf7tK7oBD9kDqh1DwfhKpOWuikDHj

Image on the left is nevadensis, the right, rudis. To me, rudis looks much more similar. What do you think?

Edited by NickAnter, January 26 2021 - 11:11 AM.

#76 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 26 2021 - 11:27 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I would also go with T. rudis.

#77 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 28 2021 - 9:49 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Colony 1 is in a twig formicarium now too! On this one, I have put cotton inside the chamber, so that when hydrated, it will stay humid for longer. Colony 2 have been digging out some more of the chamber, and can now completely hide 1 or two workers. They have used these particles to completely seal the gap between the twig and the acrylic. Next year, I will make more of an effort to hibernate these. Hopefully they will produce more brood again. If not, I will have to try some way to give them cooler temps(I think I can using an ice chest) can't use a wine cooler, as there is not enough room in there for the acrylic boxes. I am pretty sure these can get large colonies, if the one colony I found was anything to judge them by.

#78 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 28 2021 - 12:52 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I love this! I may copy you with elderberry twigs this summer.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#79 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 28 2021 - 12:55 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Sounds good! Plan to put curvispinosus in it? Would love to see them founded in it too.

#80 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 28 2021 - 12:58 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I love this! I may copy you with elderberry twigs this summer.

Amur Honeysuckle have nice hollow branches, and my T. curvispinosus love it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users