• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Temnothorax spp. Journal (chandleri worker!)

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#21 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted September 27 2019 - 11:33 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Picturesssss
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

Spoiler

#22 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 27 2019 - 3:01 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
I will do pictures later. Right now my head hurts, and I need to clean my guinea pig's cage.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#23 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 28 2019 - 9:12 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Here are some pictures:

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#24 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 4 2019 - 3:06 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Here is a good picture. As you can see, they have a bit of brood:

I am going to wait until all of their brood ecloses to put them in hibernation, unless they don't grow any more.

#25 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 14 2019 - 6:26 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Well, somehow, the cotton fell out, so a worker was lost. They have since gained another worker, and it is of the darker color. They have two more pupae. And about 8 more larvae. Once everything is ecloses, I shall put them in hibernation. Doing well overall.

#26 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 17 2019 - 4:59 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
They have a fourth worker. It is a bit bigger, and is of the orange version. This means that they probably were two species, so a new scientific discovery! Once a worker of both varieties dies, I will put them under a microscope to be sure. They still have quite a lot of larvae, and one pupa. Probably my favorite ants, they are so cool looking. Here is a pic of the new worker hiding under the queen:

#27 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 21 2019 - 6:00 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Worker number five has eclosed. It too is of the lighter morph. Oh yeah, and two days ago, I fed them a drywood termite soldier. They loved it.

Edited by NickAnter, October 21 2019 - 6:13 AM.

#28 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 26 2019 - 7:21 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Dang it. When feedimg them honey I accidentaly squished a worker in the cotton when I tried to close it, as it was on the underside of the cotton. Back down to 4 workers. At least they have 3 more pupae on the way.

#29 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 4 2019 - 6:50 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

The cotton was found unlugged.  I have no idea how, I never opened it for days, and checked yesterday, and they were fine.  They are all gone, and had 12 brood and 8 workers.  And they were my favorite colony.  I have set up some test tube setups in my room to hopefully coax them into, wherever they are.  :*( :*(  I will probably find more next summer though, they are super common in a place I go in the Eastern Sierras. :D 

#30 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 5 2019 - 7:25 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Found the queen, a pupa, two larvae, and 3 workers inside a carboard box, in the walls of it, so I had to peel it apart. All in all, 3 is better than none.
  • Antennal_Scrobe likes this

#31 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 5 2019 - 9:56 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Same thing happened to me in August. There was a small hole in a nest I made my huge Temnothorax curvispinosus colony. They had 3 queens and upwards of 200 workers. They moved into a hollow stick I had sitting on my desk. It was FUN getting them out.

#32 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 5 2019 - 3:05 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Well you probably ended up with more than 1/4 of the colony.  But I can't even imagine trying to get them out of a stick.

#33 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 5 2019 - 3:29 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
It was painful, that's for sure. I got maybe 125 workers back, but got lucky and got all 3 queens.

#34 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 22 2020 - 8:01 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Okay, so here is the current situation, and past events.  They lost the third worker.  They then gained it back, with then no brood.  Then, two workers decided to drown themselves in honey.  Then, they were able to get another worker a week or so ago. They also now have a sizable pile of eggs and larva, so, I have hope for them yet.  And, they seemed to have no problem without hibernation, which I find very interesting, as heir home area is covered in snow right now.  Has anyone else had this experience with Temnothorax?

#35 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted January 23 2020 - 2:06 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Ants oftentimes will do fine without hibernation, however, they won’t produce as much come summer as those that have been hibernated.
  • NickAnter likes this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#36 Offline FSTP - Posted January 23 2020 - 2:14 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

lets hope you don't have any more issues with cotton

• NickAnter likes this

#37 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 23 2020 - 4:07 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I sure hope so.  I still have no idea how that happened.  It was in there tightly.

#38 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 16 2020 - 5:09 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

The queen died. The workers slowly died off, and the lone queen refused all foods. I will hopefully find more of these in the Sierras when I go on August 9th. This time, I'm going to find as many as I can.

#39 Offline M_Ants - Posted July 16 2020 - 5:26 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

:(

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#40 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 21 2020 - 11:20 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

In terms of the ID I'm almost 98% sure this is nevadensis, based on the propodeal spines, and the fact that the antwiki page was updated, to show a queen which looked exactly like mine.

And. Another highly interesting thing is that these are known for plesobiosis. Which could possibly explain the two similar, yet different things.

Edited by NickAnter, July 21 2020 - 11:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users