• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Looking to purchase Camponotus Americanus

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline alltheantswers - Posted August 24 2019 - 8:57 AM

alltheantswers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a valid PPQ 526 to receive a few species, including Camponotus Americanus. I live in Wake County NC and am looking to purchase a small Americanus colony. I'll provide the form number when a deal has been made.

#2 Offline Otter - Posted August 24 2019 - 9:16 AM

Otter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationBoston
Can you actually post the permit number now? Not that you arent trusted, but plenty of people claim that they have a permit for x species but they really don't. Quick question, what did you list as location and what did you put for disposal, and roughly how many weeks or days did it take to get accepted?
  • alltheantswers likes this

Check out my Youtube! 
https://www.youtube....ohUZtcyttLctSwA

I also have an Antstagram
https://www.instagra...otters_inverts/

#3 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 24 2019 - 9:31 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I have a small Camponotus americanus colony with 2 workers and some brood, if the permit is indeed valid.

#4 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted August 24 2019 - 9:37 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I do have a colony with 9 workers and a queen, but it's the only queen I've ever collected, so you'd have to trade for it. A list of the species I' willing to trade for can be found on my shop.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#5 Offline alltheantswers - Posted August 24 2019 - 10:51 AM

alltheantswers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Can you actually post the permit number now? Not that you arent trusted, but plenty of people claim that they have a permit for x species but they really don't. Quick question, what did you list as location and what did you put for disposal, and roughly how many weeks or days did it take to get accepted?

P526-190623-003 is the form number. I submitted a couple of different apps roughly around the same time just to gauge requirements and expectations. Obviously it is much more rigorous to get authorization to import ants from other countries or species not native to your state. The one I submitted for exotics would have required a potential visit for inspection,and I didn't receive a response for roughly 45-60 days. The form I possess now is just for some Camponotus spp like Americanus and Herculeanus both native to NC. That app was fully approved within a month and amendments have been processed within 10 days. I'm not sure what you mean by "location" specifically,I even reviewed my application and didn't see any specifics on that. As for disposal method I just selected freezing.

#6 Offline alltheantswers - Posted August 24 2019 - 10:54 AM

alltheantswers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I do have a colony with 9 workers and a queen, but it's the only queen I've ever collected, so you'd have to trade for it. A list of the species I' willing to trade for can be found on my shop.

I do have a Pogonomyrmex Badius but I'd be hesitant to trade her because she's been having a rough time founding and is easily stressed. She's already eaten her brood once so I'd hate to pass along that headache with the chance she might fail to found.

#7 Offline ForestDragon - Posted August 24 2019 - 11:27 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

I do have a Pogonomyrmex Badius but I'd be hesitant to trade her because she's been having a rough time founding and is easily stressed. She's already eaten her brood once so I'd hate to pass along that headache with the chance she might fail to found.

I don't think you can trade unless ur permit applies to pogonomyrmex badius

#8 Offline alltheantswers - Posted August 24 2019 - 11:29 AM

alltheantswers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I don't think you can trade unless ur permit applies to pogonomyrmex badius

That's also true but applying for an amendment is pretty simple.

#9 Offline kingz2015 - Posted August 24 2019 - 3:49 PM

kingz2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationFlorida
So your permit allows you to accept species native to NC, as long as they are camponotus spp and coming from the US?

#10 Offline alltheantswers - Posted August 24 2019 - 4:25 PM

alltheantswers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

So your permit allows you to accept species native to NC, as long as they are camponotus spp and coming from the US?

That's mostly correct but it's only Camponotus spp that I've requested clearance for. The three I currently have are Americanus, Herculeanus and Novaeboracensis.

#11 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted August 24 2019 - 5:40 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Oh my gosh, I've been looking to get my hands on Pogonomyrmex badius for so long now!!! I've raised up difficult colonies in the past, Trachymyrmex septentrionalis, I'm founding a pair of Strumigenys membranifera queens which just got their first eggs, and I've even successfully kept colonies of Cyphomyrmex rimosus before, which are extremely sensitive. I would gladly take a Pogonomyrmex badius queen for my colony of Camponotus americanus. I'm willing to take the risk.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users