• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Polygynous Lasius americanus Journal(Over 250 workers!)

lasius eastern sierras

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#141 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 22 2020 - 3:00 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,414 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It’s been three months now in 80 degree temps and still waiting for my Nerdbox neoniger to get workers.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#142 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 22 2020 - 3:15 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

That's not normal. She might not be fertile. Or you could try more hibernation, I guess.

Edited by NickAnter, April 22 2020 - 3:15 PM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#143 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 22 2020 - 3:35 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,414 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Crap. Maybe time to pull the plug on that one then.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#144 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 22 2020 - 3:37 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I would feed her protein and sugars.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#145 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 22 2020 - 3:57 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

That's not normal. She might not be fertile. Or you could try more hibernation, I guess.

Yeah, queens usually lay within a week of capture. There are not many hardier species out there.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#146 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 22 2020 - 4:46 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,414 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Just to clarify, she has a brood pile, some of which are larvae, but it’s going absurdly slow.

#147 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 22 2020 - 4:55 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Oh, then she's fine. Just wait it out.

#148 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 23 2020 - 9:06 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Video of the winged queen's colony:

• AntsDakota and mantisgal like this

#149 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 23 2020 - 9:12 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

That is one physogastric queen. :)

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#150 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 23 2020 - 9:57 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Yep! She is always like that, more so than other queens. Same with Queen 4.

• AntsDakota likes this

#151 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 23 2020 - 10:02 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Yep! She is always like that, more so than other queens. Same with Queen 4.

Mine was like that even before she got workers:

wPWoyxT.jpg?1

• Karma likes this

#152 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 24 2020 - 7:39 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

The second generation of workers has begun! Queen One got her first, larger, second gen worker last night! I will make a video later today, and post it here. And she is skinnier today, as she has laid about 15 eggs. She is turning into the most productive queen. Queen Four seems to be the least productive.

• AntsDakota likes this

#153 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 24 2020 - 9:52 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,414 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
So looking back in my journal, I realized my neoniger didn’t lay eggs until early March, so it’s been actually seven weeks or so. I’m still perplexed why she is taking so much longer than the Formica and Crematogaster queens I had in the same incubator box, all of which have thriving colonies now.
  • AntsDakota likes this

#154 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 24 2020 - 10:02 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Lasius are very slow in the beginning. I think neoniger are especially so.

• ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

#155 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 24 2020 - 10:16 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

But it'll be worth it. Some of those large colonies are amazing, especially if they have an extremely physogastric queen (of which Lasius are capable of).

• ANTdrew likes this

#156 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 24 2020 - 10:20 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

They are so quirky too, with their little jumps, as seen in my videos.

• AntsDakota likes this

#157 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 24 2020 - 10:21 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

They are so quirky too, with their little jumps, as seen in my videos.

I love that about them! Their callows are also SO CUTE!!!

#158 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 25 2020 - 11:22 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

It turns out I completely missed the first second generation worker of Queen Two. She probably hatched on the same day Queen One's did. They now have eleven workers. So here is another reason I think they are different species. Queen One's gaster expands backwards, and not so much upwards. All the others seem to expand in a more symmetrical fashion.

Also, I really need to put The Trio in an outworld Its getting harder and harder to feed them. And, they have so much brood, its almost impossible to pick up the tube, and not knock over a bunch of brood.

• AntsDakota and mantisgal like this

#159 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 8 2020 - 1:30 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Video of the Trio. All of the colonies of these love THA ant juice, whereas my Nylanderia could care less, unless it is just the sugar, as seen in this video.

Edited by NickAnter, May 8 2020 - 1:30 PM.

• AntsMaryland, AntsDakota and mantisgal like this

#160 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 8 2020 - 1:48 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,414 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Nice. My Nerdbox neoniger has larvae now, but they’re still tiny. It’s ridiculous how long this is taking.
  • AntsMaryland and AntsDakota like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius, eastern sierras

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users