• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Polygynous Lasius americanus Journal(Over 250 workers!)

lasius eastern sierras

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#101 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 29 2020 - 2:31 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Are you sure? I find it doubtful it would make that much of a difference. Except in the larval stage, where they prefer to spin cocoons? You would probably have to test it on hundreds of queens to be sure.

Edited by NickAnter, March 29 2020 - 2:31 PM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#102 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 29 2020 - 6:33 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Several people seem to think so. I'm still not quite sure myself, but they stake claims upon personal experience, if I'm not mistaken.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#103 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 31 2020 - 6:28 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
They have three workers! Very hard to photograph, but I did get one of a very light worker. One was still kind of curled up, so it must have just eclosed. Here it is:
  • ANTdrew, AntsDakota, TheMicroPlanet and 1 other like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#104 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 31 2020 - 7:00 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,427 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Awesome!
  • NickAnter likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#105 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 31 2020 - 7:02 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Stupendous!

• NickAnter likes this

#106 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 31 2020 - 8:17 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
I miss my queen......... 😢

Edited by AntsDakota, March 31 2020 - 8:18 AM.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#107 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 31 2020 - 9:59 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

4 workers now! I gave them a small piece of cotton soaked in honey sugar water. They are currently drinking from it. It look s as though the trio or Queen 4 will be the next to get workers. Queen 1's brood seems to develop slower than the rest, at least in the pupal stage anyway.

• AntsDakota likes this

#108 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 31 2020 - 10:31 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
I can prob get like 20 queens if I try this year. It’s just about having to wait till August and September.
  • AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

#109 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 31 2020 - 10:59 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Same here. They swarm like gnats.

#110 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 31 2020 - 11:30 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Here the only big flights are S. molesta, which you can see in the evening just above head level. Everywhere.

#111 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 31 2020 - 11:50 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Same here. I've also witnessed a large flight of Aphaenogaster rudis, but it was local and not widespread like Lasius and Solenopsis. I don't know for sure (because I don't get up this early in the summer  :lol: ) but Tetramorium may also have large flights. In certain areas (I'm not completely sure on this either, but I soon intend to find out), Prenolepis could fly en mass.

#112 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 31 2020 - 12:30 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

The queen is now so incredibly bloated with sugar water! It looks as though the workers haven't even drank any. Well, on the bright side, I won't have to feed them sugars for a while. I will probably feed them a small piece of mealworm in a few days.

• AntsDakota likes this

#113 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 31 2020 - 12:37 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
When I’ve kept Lasius in the past, the nanitics are at first too shy to explore and eat (even in the other side of the tube), and the queen eats for them.

#114 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 31 2020 - 3:47 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

5 workers now! They arent too scared of the light.

• AntsDakota likes this

#115 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 31 2020 - 3:52 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Lasius are the least photophobic ants I have ever kept. I can open up their tube and leave it on a table and queens stay inside ten times out of ten.  :)

#116 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 1 2020 - 11:25 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Queen 2 has 6 workers, and the Trio just had two eclose! Pictures will come soon!

• AntsDakota and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

#117 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 1 2020 - 1:38 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Queen 4 just got a worker! I recorded most of the eclosing. I just need to figure out how to get it on here.
  • Da_NewAntOnTheBlock likes this

#118 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 3 2020 - 5:02 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Queen 1) Two dark cocoons, 7 in all,as well as ten larvae.

Queen 2) 7 workers, 3? cocoons, as wellas about 15-20 eggs/small larvae.

Complete Invalid: No larvae. Likely infertile.

Trio) 5 workers, at least 12 cocoons, 25 eggs, and a few larvae

Queen 4) 1 worker, a few eggs, a couple larvae, and 5 cocoons.

I sure hope that I can wake tomorrow to see some workers of Queen 1, who is most certainly a different species. Also, are americanus queens usually darker than other Lasius, as this queen is darker than the rest and has a slightly larger head. Also, she is just slightly longer. I wonder if the others are all neoniger....

• AntsDakota and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

#119 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted April 3 2020 - 6:56 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

No flavus...

Plants r cool

#120 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 4 2020 - 5:36 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

No flavus...

Actually, Lasius flavus is not present in North America. It is strictly a European species. Its North American counterpart is known as Lasius brevicornis. Yet with that being said, Nick here had to travel to get even neoniger, which are much more common and conspicuous than brevicornis.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius, eastern sierras

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users