• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Found queens dead, revived after a few hours?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Silq - Posted August 1 2019 - 10:04 AM

Silq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Yesterday, I was working from home and I noticed my pogomyrmex californicus queens that were in their own individual test tubes were found dead (2 out of 4). I had 23 queens which I divided into large groups and there were 4 individuals left, that i put in their own individual test tube. I pushed the cotton too deep into the test tube being a newbie to this the other day and I noticed a lot of condensation in the two that had the dead queens. They were upside down and not moving (2). These had been grouped together when they arrived in 1 glass test tube but I decided to separate them into new plastic test tubes. I figured it was something I did wrong or the plastic so I moved them into a test tube-formicarium setup and I noticed after a few hours they were all alive and walking around. I was actually about to clean out the dead queens but I wanted to see if they would move them into a trash area. Anyone experienced this? I would have taken pictures or video but didn't expect this.

Ant Journal: http://www.formicult...-journal/<br> My colonies: C. Semitestaceus, P. Californicus, V. Pergandei, S. Xyloni.

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted August 1 2019 - 10:25 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Either it's the second ant third coming of ant Jesus, or they weren't dead to begin with. Perhaps they are weak and dehydrated

• rbarreto likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline Silq - Posted August 1 2019 - 10:56 AM

Silq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Either it's the second ant third coming of ant Jesus, or they weren't dead to begin with. Perhaps they are weak and dehydrated

Well I realized they weren't dead after the fact but I can't figure out why they were upside down, not moving, in a coma-like state. I read that ants sleep in like 2 minute bursts but they were upside down and not moving for at least 2 hours, probably a good bit more. 

As for the dehydrated part, I would think the total opposite since they were in a test tube that had too much water seeping through the cotton thus the condensation on the test tube.

Edited by Silq, August 1 2019 - 10:57 AM.

Ant Journal: http://www.formicult...-journal/<br> My colonies: C. Semitestaceus, P. Californicus, V. Pergandei, S. Xyloni.

#4 Offline giraffedom - Posted August 1 2019 - 2:28 PM

giraffedom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ
I’ve actually seen this with several queens. Look totally dead and won’t move but next day they walk around fine. In my case I always assumed they were playing dead due to the stress of being jostled, moved, having lots of vibrations in the environment. They “woke up” after a day or two of being left alone. But I don’t know if your queens were experiencing abnormal stress.

#5 Offline Silq - Posted August 1 2019 - 4:50 PM

Silq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

I’ve actually seen this with several queens. Look totally dead and won’t move but next day they walk around fine. In my case I always assumed they were playing dead due to the stress of being jostled, moved, having lots of vibrations in the environment. They “woke up” after a day or two of being left alone. But I don’t know if your queens were experiencing abnormal stress.

It is a possibility since they were all moved and separated into their own test tubes. I saw recently a well known South American Ant YouTuber feeding his ants a cricket and the soldier ant lost a limb and was down and not moving. After a worker tended to it, the soldier got up and walked around normal. Not the same situation but kind of made me think about my situation.

I figured the coma like state had to do with too much humidity exposure over a long time since these are desert ants but that's just a guess. This was 2 out of 23 but 2 of 4 in test tubes, the rest moved to 3D printed formicariums attached to a test tube

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

#6 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted August 20 2019 - 7:52 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania
Yesterday while at the beach, I caught 4 Cyphomyrmex queens. 3 of which did not move but one was still alive and moving. I caught all of these in the water, which I’m sure the saltwater have to have some effect to them but I kept the one live queen and she got better. This caused some serious amazement because I live in Va where they don’t live, which means she drift from, probably, North Carolina (if not then more) all the way to Northern Va without drowning or dying of over salt exposure but also the waves and currents. It was Yellow flag the day I caught them so it was too bad but still bad. The endurance and ability these creatures have to survive are crazy amazing! Also, I’m keeping the queen right now and she regurgitated her yeast, which also hadn’t died so I’m amazed to a whole new level!
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 20 2019 - 8:34 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Yesterday while at the beach, I caught 4 Cyphomyrmex queens. 3 of which did not move but one was still alive and moving. I caught all of these in the water, which I’m sure the saltwater have to have some effect to them but I kept the one live queen and she got better. This caused some serious amazement because I live in Va where they don’t live, which means she drift from, probably, North Carolina (if not then more) all the way to Northern Va without drowning or dying of over salt exposure but also the waves and currents. It was Yellow flag the day I caught them so it was too bad but still bad. The endurance and ability these creatures have to survive are crazy amazing! Also, I’m keeping the queen right now and she regurgitated her yeast, which also hadn’t died so I’m amazed to a whole new level!

Journal and pics time!

#8 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 20 2019 - 9:18 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Oxygen deprivation and solvent inhalation are both known to cause ants to assume a comatose/lifeless state, only to be revived after a number of hours in fresh air.  Were these test tubes sealed tight with a plastic or rubber plug?  That would cause it.  Also fungi and aerobic bacteria consume a lot of oxygen, so decomposing foodstuffs could also cause oxygen deprivation in a poorly ventilated space.

I also recall a time when dspdrew fed a colony of Solenopsis molesta some blue food I sent him, which contained ethanol.  He fed them in an enclosed space, the entire colony passed out as some of the ethanol evaporated, and he thought they were dead.  After a bit of fresh air, they all woke up.

Fun fact: If you gently fill a container of ants with "canned air," the ants will drop almost instantly, and will come back to life after some time if fresh air is introduced.  However, canned air contains nasty tasting chemicals to deter abuse, and these can really screw up the ants ability to communicate using scent.  So don't do that except for experimental purposes.

Edited by drtrmiller, August 20 2019 - 9:21 AM.

• TennesseeAnts and Silq like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#9 Offline Silq - Posted August 20 2019 - 9:26 AM

Silq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Oxygen deprivation and solvent inhalation are both known to cause ants to assume a comatose/lifeless state, only to be revived after a number of hours in fresh air.  Were these test tubes sealed tight with a plastic or rubber plug?  That would cause it.  Also fungi and aerobic bacteria consume a lot of oxygen, so decomposing foodstuffs could also cause oxygen deprivation in a poorly ventilated space.

I also recall a time when dspdrew fed a colony of Solenopsis molesta some blue food I sent him, which contained ethanol.  He fed them in an enclosed space, the entire colony passed out as some of the ethanol evaporated, and he thought they were dead.  After a bit of fresh air, they all woke up.

Fun fact: If you gently fill a container filled with ants with "canned air," the ants will drop almost instantly, and will come back to life after some time if fresh air is introduced.  However, canned air contains nasty tasting chemicals to deter abuse, and these can really screw up the ants ability to communicate using scent.  So don't do that except for experimental purposes.

Yes, the test tubes were sealed with a tight plastic lid that came with the test tubes. It makes sense now. I no longer use them and use cotton but I did not realize that was it. I figured it was too humid since the test tubes were on a heated pad and there was a lot of condensation when I saw them past out. Since there were 5 queens per test tube and 25 queens, I placed most of them in new plastic test tubes individually with the top so they were in a new and clean environment but idiotically plugged up. Luckily, I didn't throw out the queens.

#10 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted August 20 2019 - 9:46 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland

Not ants but with beetles. On two occasions I have found one D. tityus and one Lucanus capreolus that were both obviously dead, probably from exhaustion. I decided to try and prepare them fr spreading by running them under hot water to soften their limbs and lo and behold, both sprung back to life! I don't know how ths works and t also seems to work for ants, so anyone got some insight on this?

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#11 Offline Canadant - Posted August 20 2019 - 1:29 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Lol! 🎶 "Always look on the bright side of life." 🎵
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#12 Offline Roy3 - Posted August 20 2019 - 3:10 PM

Roy3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

They suffered from lack of oxygen. The cotton wad on the dry end was to tightly compacted and not letting adequate air flow.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#13 Offline AntsBC - Posted August 20 2019 - 3:32 PM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

For your own sake, please show some respect for Christianity.
  • ANTdrew likes this

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Formica planipilis (Parasitic sp.)

Instagram // YouTube 

#14 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 20 2019 - 3:53 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

For your own sake, please show some respect for Christianity.

I don't see anything wrong with his post...
  • Canadian anter likes this

#15 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 20 2019 - 6:13 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Isn't this illegal. Currents are illegal.

#16 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 20 2019 - 6:16 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

:lol:

#17 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted August 21 2019 - 4:11 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania

Well, there’s no stopping them😂 plus currents don’t give crap about what a country’s laws are, they gust go with the flow!

Edited by VenomousBeast, August 21 2019 - 4:12 AM.

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users