• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New ID for California please

Best Answer dspdrew , July 30 2019 - 1:47 AM

That's a tough one.

Edit: Oh wait a minute, I know what that is. Pheidole gilvescens. I usually find tons of those every year.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BADANT - Posted July 28 2019 - 2:08 PM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX

Twentynine Palms, CA, USA
7/28/2019

Body:
1. Location of collection: Desert field, Twentynine Palms, CA, USA. I found them in a field within 10 foot of the street as I walked along the curb.

2. Date of collection: 7/26/2019, between 7PM and 10PM.
3. Habitat of collection: They were found in a vacant piece of land in the desert along a wash. There was desert type of plants, in the vacant piece of land.  The piece of land was a long thin strip that ran between the wash and a house. This is the same location I was quite successful on the 23rd. I returned because of the heavy rain 36 hours previous.
4. Length: 6mm
5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture: She’s caramel colored over her entire body, looks smooth and glossy.

6. Distinguishing characteristics: She has her wings, so I couldn’t get a good shot of her petiole. You can see through her wings, and see that she has a petiole at least and possibly a post petiole.
7. Anything else distinctive: Not much different looking from underneath, as shown in photo 2.
8. Nest description: Unknown

9. Nuptial flight time and date: Unknown

#2 Offline AntPhycho - Posted July 28 2019 - 2:16 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Just guessing. I caught a queen that looked like this recently. Pheidole cerebrosior

Edited by AntPhycho, July 28 2019 - 3:45 PM.

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#3 Offline BADANT - Posted July 28 2019 - 2:18 PM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX

Just guessing. I caught a queen that looked liked this recently. Pheidole cerebrosior

Not I, young man. It would be nice to have a new species in my collection, if you stick with Pheidole cerebrosior

#4 Offline AntPhycho - Posted July 28 2019 - 3:35 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Not I, young man. It would be nice to have a new species in my collection, if you stick with Pheidole cerebrosior

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#5 Offline BADANT - Posted July 28 2019 - 3:48 PM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX

?

I haven’t caught one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 28 2019 - 6:27 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Looks like Temnothorax. Are you sure she is 6 mm? I guess it could be Pheidole too.

#7 Offline BADANT - Posted July 29 2019 - 12:26 AM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX

Looks like Temnothorax. Are you sure she is 6 mm? I guess it could be Pheidole too.

it might be 7mm

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 30 2019 - 1:47 AM   Best Answer

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That's a tough one.

Edit: Oh wait a minute, I know what that is. Pheidole gilvescens. I usually find tons of those every year.

Edited by dspdrew, July 30 2019 - 1:49 AM.

• Canadian anter and BADANT like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users