• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID this queen from walla walla Washington

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Offline EchoMeter4 - Posted July 10 2019 - 8:37 PM

EchoMeter4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Tetramorium immigrans is established and poses no big threat now, Mdrogun

I believe this statement is false, as they are still fairly destructive to native ant populations.  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure they are still a problem.

Yeah, sorry I'm not familiar with the forum and didn't know you couldn't delete the posts... I wasn't serious with that one. I apologize ':|

#22 Offline rbarreto - Posted July 10 2019 - 8:47 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Invasive (meaning present, but not native) species shouldn't be outside of their natural habitat.  

You're seriously one of the most helpful and knowledgeable people on this forum, but I'm sorry, this is wrong.

species can be introduced but not invasive. They only become invasive when they are introduced, spread prolifically and destructively. It's kind of an arbitrary term, and I would definitely agree T. immigrans is invasive, but I just like to be a stickler to definitions  :wacko1: .

They've been here for 200 years so they're pretty much established at this point. Yes they are extremely dominant in urban environments but that's pretty much about it. Not to mention they actually kill Solenopsis invicta colonies.

http://entnemdept.uf...avement_ant.htm

Their dominance in urban and suburban environments is unparalleled and destructive to local populations of ants. If your house was burning down would you throw more matches on it cause "eh, it's already on fire, doesn't really matter."? Probably not.

I don't understand your argument that they're OK because they kill Solenopsis invicta. All that tells me is that Tetramorium immigrans is a more destructive and threatening invasive species than Solenopsis invicta.

If the house was on fire then throwing a few matches on it would literally do nothing. Which is my point. This fire has been raging for 200 years now, so its spread quite far and has plenty of fuel. While there's nothing you can do on about it on the large scale. You can still try what AnthonyP163 is doing and eradicate them on a small scale. His efforts have actually yielded positive results. As the article I linked mentions, the fact that they kill invicta colonies may deter the northward advance of invicta (well at least as northward as the climate permits).

What I'm getting at is that he doesn't need to kill them and if he wants he could start a colony. 

• TennesseeAnts likes this

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#23 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 10 2019 - 8:55 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

I believe this statement is false, as they are still fairly destructive to native ant populations.  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure they are still a problem.
In my area, though Tetramorium is very abundant in the dry environment that the sidewalks provide, anywhere near the grass is more dominated by the other species of ants. I know in Vancouver in particular Lasius americanus easily dominate over Tetramorium. At least in my area they seem more relaxed and don't harm the local species too much.
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#24 Online Zeiss - Posted July 10 2019 - 8:57 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

If the house was on fire then throwing a few matches on it would literally do nothing. Which is my point. This fire has been raging for 200 years now, so its spread quite far and has plenty of fuel. While there's nothing you can do on about it on the large scale. You can still try what AnthonyP163 is doing and eradicate them on a small scale. His efforts have actually yielded positive results. As the article I linked mentions, the fact that they kill invicta colonies may deter the northward advance of invicta (well at least as northward as the climate permits).

What I'm getting at is that he doesn't need to kill them and if he wants he could start a colony. 

Keeping them is better than just letting them live outside; killing is just the best option, out of them all, to deal with non-native things.

• rbarreto likes this

#25 Offline camponotuskeeper - Posted July 10 2019 - 9:06 PM

camponotuskeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationWashington
Wow I just wanted to now what my queen was never expected such a heated debate

#26 Online Zeiss - Posted July 10 2019 - 9:07 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I didn't think it was heated.  This usually happens fairly often, haha.  Everyone has different opinions on everything.

• TennesseeAnts and rbarreto like this

#27 Offline PacificNorthWestern - Posted July 10 2019 - 9:09 PM

PacificNorthWestern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

As you can see, ants mean a lot to us. this species should've been treated like fire ants when they entered the states. but they weren't and are destroying the local ant species in the Pacifica northwest and most likely in other parts of the states.

• TennesseeAnts and camponotuskeeper like this

#28 Offline rbarreto - Posted July 10 2019 - 9:09 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Not heated at all, just a friendly discussion.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#29 Offline camponotuskeeper - Posted July 10 2019 - 9:16 PM

camponotuskeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationWashington
Okay I may have to readjust my definition of a heated debate if this was a friendly discussion. But it was very interesting and cool to see everyone’s opinion.

#30 Offline camponotuskeeper - Posted July 10 2019 - 9:21 PM

camponotuskeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationWashington
So based on your guys discussion tetramorium immigrans is only a big threat to natives around cities?

#31 Offline PacificNorthWestern - Posted July 10 2019 - 9:30 PM

PacificNorthWestern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

So based on your guys discussion tetramorium immigrans is only a big threat to natives around cities?

no, but actually yes. Anywhere where we are, there is most likely tetramorium. in neighborhoods, around houses, in cities in your backyard. These are ants. They don't live in just cities they are wild creatures that live in the wild. They don't have a specific habitat, in the ground, under rocks, under logs in metal pipes, anywhere they can live, they will try to live in.

#32 Offline PacificNorthWestern - Posted July 10 2019 - 9:31 PM

PacificNorthWestern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

and if that means killing another ant colony, that other ant colony is as good as dead

#33 Offline camponotuskeeper - Posted July 11 2019 - 5:40 AM

camponotuskeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationWashington
Caught more of what I believe are tetramorium immigrans just wanted to make sure
32FAC1CB E100 41A8 B0D8 B2DC265939F5
3131B31E C140 4809 BF4F 361EF68C4FE8
3A7CE887 68BB 4090 80AB 8CE4839CE5C7

here are the pics

#34 Offline camponotuskeeper - Posted July 11 2019 - 5:41 AM

camponotuskeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationWashington
Found in walla walla Washington on a back patio
At about 6:30 I’m the morning

#35 Offline camponotuskeeper - Posted July 11 2019 - 5:46 AM

camponotuskeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationWashington
Coloration is black with paler under the gaster and bands around the gaster
Does not appear to have hairs on the abdomen

#36 Offline PacificNorthWestern - Posted July 11 2019 - 6:52 AM

PacificNorthWestern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

yup

#37 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 11 2019 - 9:53 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Not heated at all, just a friendly discussion.

:lol:
  • rbarreto likes this

#38 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted July 11 2019 - 12:52 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

In my area, though Tetramorium is very abundant in the dry environment that the sidewalks provide, anywhere near the grass is more dominated by the other species of ants. I know in Vancouver in particular Lasius americanus easily dominate over Tetramorium. At least in my area they seem more relaxed and don't harm the local species too much.

AntsCanada prefers to call them "naturalized invaders", yet I took a walk one early morning and saw this: https://www.youtube....h?v=IHsuI70SIs8

Not so naturalized.

• Mdrogun likes this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#39 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 11 2019 - 3:30 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I've heard that the species just finds its own niche in an ecosystem, and doesn't harm any native life. And besides- my friend's yard has the highest population density of Tetramorium colonies I've ever seen, yet it also has one of the highest density of native species I've ever seen.

Edited by AntsDakota, July 11 2019 - 3:31 PM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#40 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 11 2019 - 3:33 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

And why not just go ahead and keep them? They're not going to do the environment any harm in a formicarium (and they're not too specialized in escaping, either).

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users