• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID Request Paintsville, KY (Posted 7/8/2019)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline DJoseph98 - Posted July 8 2019 - 2:50 PM

DJoseph98

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationCentral Kentucky

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Paintsville, Kentucky

2. Date of collection: 7/7/2019 @ 8 PM nearing sunset
3. Habitat of collection: Low elevation mountain area near some forest but in the suburbs.
4. Length (from head to gaster): 6 mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Gaster looks yellowish with brown bands with thorax light brown and head a darker brown.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: N/A
7. Distinguishing behavior: They were grooming each other in a group of five without any aggression.
8. Nest description: N/A

9. Nuptial flight time and date: 7/7/2019 as it was getting darker and approaching sunset.

Sorry about the resolution, I had to zoom in quite a bit since these are so small. The background you're seeing are the fibers of my jeans if that gives you a better idea of how small the details on these girls are.

PnllRMR.jpg

dLoEp6S.jpg

pSYN9ct.jpg

o8Qr36X.jpg

Edited by DJoseph98, July 8 2019 - 2:50 PM.

Current Colonies

1 x Camponotus nearcticus (Monogynous), 1 x Crematogaster cerasi (Monogynous), 1 x Formica cf. subsericea (Polygynous Two-Queen), 1 x Formica cf. pallidefulva (Monogynous, single worker),

1 x Lasius cf. americanus (Pleometrotic Founding, now Monogynous), 1 x Tetramorium immigrans (Monogynous)

Current Founding Units

1 x Formica cf. subsericea (Monogynous)

Up-To-Date as of 9/15/2020

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 8 2019 - 2:55 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Solenopsis molesta

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 8 2019 - 4:28 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Now this is a nice ID Request.

• Martialis and AntsBC like this

#4 Offline DJoseph98 - Posted July 8 2019 - 5:31 PM

DJoseph98

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationCentral Kentucky

Solenopsis molesta

Thanks for the ID! I'm never quite certain when it comes to separating Solenopsis spp. from Pheidole spp.

Thanks I do my best

Current Colonies

1 x Camponotus nearcticus (Monogynous), 1 x Crematogaster cerasi (Monogynous), 1 x Formica cf. subsericea (Polygynous Two-Queen), 1 x Formica cf. pallidefulva (Monogynous, single worker),

1 x Lasius cf. americanus (Pleometrotic Founding, now Monogynous), 1 x Tetramorium immigrans (Monogynous)

Current Founding Units

1 x Formica cf. subsericea (Monogynous)

Up-To-Date as of 9/15/2020

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 9 2019 - 5:02 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Solenopsis molesta

Thanks for the ID! I'm never quite certain when it comes to separating Solenopsis spp. from Pheidole spp.

Thanks I do my best

Pheidole will always have a large head compared to it's body size. Solenopsis have a more oval shaped head.
  • DJoseph98 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users