• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant ID from Yucatan, Mexico (July 5, 2019)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline rbaezam - Posted July 5 2019 - 6:01 AM

rbaezam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

I'm pretty sure she's a Camponotus sp queen, just want to be completely sure and also know the specific sp if possible.

1. Location of collection In the sidewalk of street with big trees

2. Date of collection June 3, 2019
3. Habitat of collection a lot of big trees, very humid weather after two days of rain
4. Length 11-12mm
5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture black shiny body with a slight reddish coloration in the head
6. Distinguishing characteristics She is smaller than most Camponotus queen I've caught
7. Anything else distinctive 
8. Nest description

9. Nuptial flight time and date morning around 11am
10 . Post the clearest pictures possible of the top, side, and face of the ant in question, and if possible, their nest and the habitat they were collected in.

Pics below including some photos of the first worker.

vQruSjD.jpg

CmhKZBY.jpg

3Qzg5LB.jpg

CXkfQc3.jpg

ROzbY28.jpg

07at7by.jpg

hCe8hgZ.jpg

vMUg54F.jpg

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 5 2019 - 6:04 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Yea, Camponotus.

#3 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted July 5 2019 - 8:35 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Could be Colobopsis as well.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#4 Offline rbaezam - Posted July 5 2019 - 8:59 AM

rbaezam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Actually that was one of my options when I saw the queen the first time. It has a long and thin body (compared to most Camponotus with thicker body) and also the mandibles are somewhat different. But after some weeks I noticed she had pupae and I think the Colebopsis genus doesn't make pupae, but probably I'm wrong.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#5 Offline Martialis - Posted July 5 2019 - 9:28 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

This isn't Colobopsis.

• TennesseeAnts likes this
Spoiler

#6 Offline rbaezam - Posted July 5 2019 - 3:14 PM

rbaezam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Actually that was one of my options when I saw the queen the first time. It has a long and thin body (compared to most Camponotus with thicker body) and also the mandibles are somewhat different. But after some weeks I noticed she had pupae and I think the Colebopsis genus doesn't make pupae, but probably I'm wrong.

Here I meant to say that as far as I know, Colobopsis doesn't make cocoons in the pupae stage.

So any idea about the specific sp?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users