• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pheidole major doesn't fit keys for Southeast US

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline bama_ants - Posted June 29 2019 - 8:16 PM

bama_ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMobile, AL
Pheidole major
Hello,

I have a Pheidole major that I collect in Southwest Alabama that doesn't key out.

It has sculpture on the entire head, similar to obscurithorax.  It has a shiny sides of the pronotum, similar to dentata.  It also has a light brown color.  

Unfortunately, the minors aren't helping out as I had it in a mixed collection with obscurithorax and I can't say for sure which one's belong to this major.  That being said, the minors of obscurithorax and dentata are very similar in appearance.

I have attached a photo of the major under my microscope.  I've compared to all other Pheidole known from the Southeast US, and I can't figure it out.

Edited by bama_ants, June 29 2019 - 8:20 PM.

• Martialis likes this

#2 Offline Martialis - Posted July 1 2019 - 8:25 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Can you get some other microscope pictures? Those could help with the ID.

Spoiler

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 1 2019 - 8:30 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I'm not the best with keys but to me that already looks like pheidole navigans

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 2 2019 - 7:08 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

How long is the major? If it is over 2.5mm, it is not Pheidole navigans.

Edited by NickAnter, July 2 2019 - 7:08 AM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline bama_ants - Posted July 4 2019 - 6:22 AM

bama_ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMobile, AL

Here are a few more photos.  Comparison with Pheidole obscurithorax, a full side view, and a top view of the petiole and post petiole.

Comparison
Full
Top view

• Martialis likes this

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 4 2019 - 7:18 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I’m now almost 100% sure that is pheidole navigans. Here is a picture of a magnified major and it looks almost exactly like yours: https://mississippie...le_navigans.htm

#7 Offline bama_ants - Posted July 4 2019 - 8:17 AM

bama_ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMobile, AL

That's a good guess Manitobant.  I use those keys for my ID'ing.  However, navigans is smaller than this major. Almost half as small.  See photo.

I find navigans quite often, and they never inhabit open areas with soil nests such as I found this major in.

Comparison2

#8 Offline AntsBC - Posted July 4 2019 - 11:47 AM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

According to AntMaps, there are 14 different Pheidole species present in Alabama: Pheidole adrianoi, Pheidole bicarinata, Pheidole bilimeki, Pheidole crassicornis, Pheidole davisi, Pheidole dentata, Pheidole dentigula, Pheidole floridana, Pheidole lamia, Pheidole metallescens, Pheidole morrisii, Pheidole pilifera, Pheidole tetra and Pheidole tysoni.

I bet if you went through every one of those species thoroughly, you would find a match. Try using these keys to help you out: http://www.antwiki.o..._to_US_Pheidole , http://www.antwiki.o...le_fallax_group and http://www.antwiki.o..._pilifera_group

Edited by AntsBC, July 4 2019 - 11:50 AM.

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Formica planipilis (Parasitic sp.)

Instagram // YouTube 

#9 Offline Martialis - Posted July 4 2019 - 12:30 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Do you have a length for her?