• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello from Texas

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TobyRF - Posted March 17 2015 - 9:52 AM

TobyRF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationTexas
Hello my name is Toby,
I'm 31 and have recently started anting. I have had ant colonies and have helped friends catch and build ant farms when I was younger but I have never really done anything for my own fascinations. I had a fire ant colony in a formicarium I made but after trial and error I learned that they multiply way to fast for what I was intending so I released the colony after 5 months. It's warming up and I have seen many ant queens lately and last night I captured a Snaggletooth Queen Ant - Myrmecocystus -
And am excited to get home and get her to multiplying! Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated! I'm a welder and I build metal buildings. It requires me to travel a lot but I also get to see many different species of ants! Well if you would like to learn more just ask!!!

#2 Offline Ants4fun - Posted March 17 2015 - 11:18 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Welcome!

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted March 17 2015 - 11:36 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Welcome!

Look forward to seeing how your queen does.

I can imagine that you travel a lot.  I once spoke with an airline attendant - she said the only pets she could ever have was ants because they didn't mind being alone for a week at a time.  She paid the neighbors kid to drop a mealworm in every couple days.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted March 17 2015 - 12:40 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Welcome! :)

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 17 2015 - 1:32 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Welcome. Honeypot ants are awesome. Hope you get lucky and that one queen does well.

#6 Offline antsinmypants - Posted March 17 2015 - 1:38 PM

antsinmypants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Hi. Welcome to the best ant forum on the web.

#7 Offline William. T - Posted March 17 2015 - 1:41 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Hey there from Maryland! :)

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers