• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogonomyrmex barbatus founding?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 23 2019 - 12:32 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Disclaimer: I know this will be controversial and I'm not here to start a huge argument over keeping exotic ants. So can we please be civil and answer the questions instead of trashing another thread? Thanks!

So basically I was able to get a pogonomyrmex barbatus queen from a freind here in canada who in turn got it from someone else and I have no idea where that person got it from. I have no experience keeping pogonomyrmex aside from what my freinds have told me about pogonomyrmex occidentalis so I came here to ask how to do it and if it differs from the common occidentalis. I know she's semi claustral and I have her in a setup consisting of 2 test tubes connected to an AC test tube portal filled with sand and seeds for food. If anyone could give me advice on how to improve the setup and how to properly found this species that would be great!
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#2 Offline Roy3 - Posted August 23 2019 - 1:13 PM

Roy3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Hey bro. I don't hate on that. Anyways, I think that you should be fine. They as well as all Pogonomyrmex and other ant species need other foods with protein. Not just grass or weed seeds. I've seen Pogonomyrmex eat bees, and other dead insects. So for sure offer insects. My p.californicus love the egg whites from when I make myself unseasoned and unsalted sunny side up eggs for breakfast. Sometimes they eat or lick up the juices from sandwich slices of ham. So those are some good ideas for food. Add a heating cable close to the test tube set up you have or keep her warm in whatever way you can. Warm garage. A far off master closet that doesn't get cold air in it, and you should be fine. Good luck. Mine don't like eating freshly killed spiders for some reason. Picky Pogonomyrmex. But have fun. Any other questions.....just shoot!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#3 Offline Silq - Posted August 23 2019 - 1:28 PM

Silq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA
Just make sure your crush any seeds that are too big for them and leave them alone if they are founding

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Ant Journal: http://www.formicult...-journal/<br> My colonies: C. Semitestaceus, P. Californicus, V. Pergandei, S. Xyloni.

#4 Offline Roy3 - Posted August 23 2019 - 2:02 PM

Roy3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Yeah and try half of a fresh unroasted unsalted sunflower seed. Crushed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users