• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Solenopsis Molesta and Brachymyrmex depilis question

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PacificNorthWestern - Posted August 20 2019 - 9:48 PM

PacificNorthWestern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

Are this 2 ants (polgynes?). i have 9 queens in my Solenopsis molesta colony and 4 queens in Brachymyrmex colony and really don't want to lose this guys. Thank you guys for the responses.

sorry bout the double post. said i didn't have permission for the first one so i posted it again

#2 Offline Mercutia - Posted August 20 2019 - 10:07 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Yes to Solenopsis molesta.

Can't remember about Brachymyrmex.

• PacificNorthWestern likes this

#3 Offline Canadian anter - Posted August 21 2019 - 12:25 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Both are polygynous
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 21 2019 - 2:11 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Half my solenopsis killed each other, neatly cutting the head off, so I guess it depends.

#5 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 21 2019 - 2:24 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Some Solenopsis molesta are polygynous, some are dead not, and will rip each other to shreds.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#6 Offline PacificNorthWestern - Posted August 21 2019 - 2:51 PM

PacificNorthWestern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Well it's been about one day, and not one has died. so i guess they are polygynous.

#7 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 22 2019 - 6:32 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Well it's been about one day, and not one has died. so i guess they are polygynous.

One day doesn’t prove anything. They could wait however long they want or until workers come to kill each other.

#8 Offline PacificNorthWestern - Posted August 22 2019 - 8:00 AM

PacificNorthWestern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

true, but they said they either would rip each other apart or are polygynous. hopefully when i get workers no queens die...

#9 Offline Silq - Posted August 22 2019 - 1:13 PM

Silq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

maybe some are pleometrotic..

Pleometrosis is a behavior observed in social insects where colony formation is initiated by multiple queens primarily by the same species of insect. This type of behavior has been mainly studied in ants but also occurs in wasps, bees, and termites. This behavior is of significant interest to scientists particularly in ants and termites because nest formation often happens between queens that are unrelated ruling out the argument of inclusive fitness as the driving force of pleometrosis.[1] Whereas in other species such as wasps and bees co-founding queens are often related.[2] The majority of species that engage in pleometrosis after the initial stages of colony formation will reduce their colonies number of queens down to one dominant queen and either kill or push out the supernumeracy queens.[3] However there are some cases where pleometrosis formed colonies keep multiple queens for longer than the early stages of colony growth.[3] Colony Formation can help to speed through the early stages of colony growth by producing a larger worker ant population faster which helps to out-compete other colonies in high colony dense areas.[3] However forming colonies with multiple queens can also cause intra-colony competition between the queens possibly lowering the likelihood of survival of a queen in a pleometrosis colony.[2]

from Wiki

Edited by Silq, August 22 2019 - 1:14 PM.

• PacificNorthWestern likes this

Ant Journal: http://www.formicult...-journal/<br> My colonies: C. Semitestaceus, P. Californicus, V. Pergandei, S. Xyloni.

#10 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 22 2019 - 2:44 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
In my experience, the one in HB, cooperate for some time, but eventually but eventually, before the get workers it seems, they will fight. They most often use beheading.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#11 Offline Mercutia - Posted August 23 2019 - 3:53 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
For Solenopsis at least, I have kept colonies of multiple queens and they surpassed far beyond founding so in at least their case, I don’t think they are pleometric.

#12 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 23 2019 - 8:49 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I have heard that polygyne in this species depends on region. Colonies on the East Coast are, and West Coast are not. Colonies here are most definitely polygynous. 

Edited by AntsDakota, August 23 2019 - 8:50 AM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#13 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 23 2019 - 8:51 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

In my experience, the one in HB, cooperate for some time, but eventually but eventually, before the get workers it seems, they will fight. They most often use beheading.

West Coast.

For Solenopsis at least, I have kept colonies of multiple queens and they surpassed far beyond founding so in at least their case, I don’t think they are pleometric.

East Coast.

Edited by AntsDakota, August 23 2019 - 8:52 AM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#14 Offline Mercutia - Posted August 23 2019 - 10:39 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

I have heard that polygyne in this species depends on region. Colonies on the East Coast are, and West Coast are not. Colonies here are most definitely polygynous. 

That's actually a very interesting observation. Do you have any more studies that back this up? Even anecdotally (other than what was just discussed here)?

I wonder if it might have something to do with less hospitable conditions. Perhaps the harsher climates force them to be a little bit more amicable to each other whereas more temperate climates mean they can be more aggressive with each other? I'm just speculating and theorizing here.

#15 Offline Mdrogun - Posted August 23 2019 - 11:16 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

We cannot tell you anything about the ants you're keeping with confidence unless you give us the full identification. Some Brachymyrmex are polygynous, some are not, some Brachymyrmex have replete-like workers.

Solenopsis molesta in my experience has been facultatively polygynous, although I am aware this can range from flat out monogyny to full on polygyny depending on the location. Also, keep in mind, there are many species of "thief ant" and they all look very similar. It is even thought that Solenopsis molesta itself is a species group that needs further taxonomic work.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#16 Offline Mercutia - Posted August 23 2019 - 11:59 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

We cannot tell you anything about the ants you're keeping with confidence unless you give us the full identification. Some Brachymyrmex are polygynous, some are not, some Brachymyrmex have replete-like workers.

Solenopsis molesta in my experience has been facultatively polygynous, although I am aware this can range from flat out monogyny to full on polygyny depending on the location. Also, keep in mind, there are many species of "thief ant" and they all look very similar. It is even thought that Solenopsis molesta itself is a species group that needs further taxonomic work.

The title mentions Solenopsis molesta and Brachymyrmex depilis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users