• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Colony alates ripping off wings?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 9 2019 - 4:46 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I have a camponotus novaeboracensis colony with alates and I'm noticing that some have been either ripping off their wings or the workers are ripping off their wings. What is going on and could this mean my supposedly fertile queen had her wings ripped off before I caught her?

#2 Offline Acutus - Posted June 9 2019 - 7:12 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I've heard that Alates in captivity that can't be released will turn into workers. :) Your Queen had to have wings to mate as they mate in the air. :D

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#3 Offline dermy - Posted June 9 2019 - 7:56 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I've found queen alates usually just turn into as Acutus said bigger workers. The males are usually just eaten/recycled because of how useless they are to the colony. If your queen was collected far away from any nests there is a good chance she was mated. Wings aren't always a sign of infertility either so if you find some queens during a nuptial flight running around on the sidewalk it doesn't mean they haven't mated. Chances are in a few days they'll shed their wings, or if for whatever reason don't they will have their first workers remove them for them assuming they haven't done so by the time they get nanitics.

• Canadian anter and TennesseeAnts like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users