• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2450 replies to this topic

#1581 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted July 22 2019 - 4:43 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

the radar I'm looking at is past 24 hr precipitation

#1582 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 22 2019 - 4:45 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Pretty sure all those red spots would need to sit in one area for several hours before any flights would happen.

I've seen light rainfall trigger flights.

fyi those areas have been drenched for like 2 hours so far.

2 hours wouldn't be enough.  The ground has to be soaked down at least 6-12 inches to make it worthwhile for the larger species.  Light rainfall can trigger flights, yes, but the worthwhile trips are with huge amounts of rain.

I'm thinking it will end up being good for flights, but I'm just saying that is what is recommended for a large amount of queens.

Edited by Zeiss, July 22 2019 - 4:46 PM.

#1583 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted July 22 2019 - 4:51 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Thanks Zeiss, I think I'll stay home then.

#1584 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 22 2019 - 5:02 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Thanks Zeiss, I think I'll stay home then.

Keep watching the radar, it could definitely keep raining in those areas or huge storm cells could appear.  Going out for a long drive is still fun in my opinion, haha.

#1585 Offline wrestlerbill89 - Posted July 22 2019 - 5:56 PM

wrestlerbill89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
found p. subnitidus queens all over my front yard in victorville area. not much rain hit the ground despite the monsoon weather.
found p. subnitidus queens all over my front yard in victorville area. not much rain hit the ground despite the monsoon weather.

#1586 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted July 22 2019 - 8:32 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Did you see this today? If so I think I'll go see if I can get some tomorrow, wish I checked this sooner, I could've gone tonight. Also if you did see it today, do you know any good spots for me to find this species like hiking trails nearby or something?

Edited by AntsCalifornia, July 22 2019 - 8:52 PM.

#1587 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted July 22 2019 - 8:32 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Tommorow will be your best bet for 29 palms. I'll be heading out tommorow night.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#1588 Offline BADANT - Posted July 23 2019 - 9:56 AM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX

How do you pick a good area in the desert like that?

Id' like to go out and give it a try as well

are we talking black light, I had assumed that trails and roads was what he meant?

Edited by ANTMOON, July 23 2019 - 9:57 AM.

#1589 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted July 23 2019 - 10:03 AM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

How do you pick a good area in the desert like that?

Id' like to go out and give it a try as well

are we talking black light, I had assumed that trails and roads was what he meant?

watch weather radar for heavy rains.  some ants don't need rains though and a sudden spike in temps can trigger alot of formicines- i just caught some random Formica from ortega hwy last night and it didn't rain but the weather was really humid

• BADANT likes this

#1590 Offline BADANT - Posted July 23 2019 - 10:48 AM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX
Yeah, I’ve prepared a map of the area and circled the areas that were red the best I could tell. I need a better weather satellite website, so I can do better overlays or comparisons. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1591 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted July 23 2019 - 11:11 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Anywhere where it rained in that area will have queens. Just pull off of a road and stay off of private property

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#1592 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted July 23 2019 - 11:28 AM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Just find like a little pullover area and walk around? Also are honeypots probably going to fly tonight? 

#1593 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 23 2019 - 12:01 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

There’s also rain forecast for big bear. Wondering if there might be some late season campos afterwards.

No Camponotus, but maybe Formica.

#1594 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 23 2019 - 12:06 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, I’ve prepared a map of the area and circled the areas that were red the best I could tell. I need a better weather satellite website, so I can do better overlays or comparisons. Thank you

Use this site (https://www.iweather...urs-to-72-hours). It does all the work for you, you don't even need to keep an eye on the radar, other than for fun. This site calculates the cumulative rainfall estimates based on the radar. You can choose to see how much fell from one hour ago to 3 days ago. Based on this map, 29 Palms got about 3 inches of rain in some spots. I'll be going out there tonight too.

• WestLA_DO likes this

#1595 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted July 23 2019 - 12:31 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Thanks so much for the map drew, so helpful.

So I was planning on going to Victorville to try and get those Pogonomyrmex and then go to 29 palms, but I was wondering, does anyone know if  p. subnitidus are in 29 palms, cause that would save like an hour and I would be at 29 palms at evening.

Also where is a good place in 29 palms, I'm looking at radar and it seems like off Mesquite Springs Road is the best place.

Edited by AntsCalifornia, July 23 2019 - 1:01 PM.

#1596 Offline BADANT - Posted July 23 2019 - 1:04 PM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX
AWESOME, thanks everybody

#1597 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted July 23 2019 - 5:31 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

I see rain around joshua tree national park now too, is that the acromyrmex place?

#1598 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted July 23 2019 - 8:24 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
Well I went to Victorville on a first anting trip to try and catch the Pogonomyrmex, but didn't find even one. Now I get the frustrating feeling of wasting so much time and gas and getting nothing out of it...😢

Edited by AntsCalifornia, July 23 2019 - 9:14 PM.

#1599 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted July 23 2019 - 9:42 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Well I went to Victorville on a first anting trip to try and catch the Pogonomyrmex, but didn't find even one. Now I get the frustrating feeling of wasting so much time and gas and getting nothing out of it...

did you go at the right time?  most Pogonomyrmex are diurnal fliers.  generally i have more luck locating foundress colonies with fresh queens excavating

• BADANT likes this

#1600 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted July 24 2019 - 2:02 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

I went evening to night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users