• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2450 replies to this topic

#1501 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 20 2019 - 6:04 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Here in HB, as it was fairly warm, I caught 5 more Monomorium ergatogyna queens in my pool yesterday.

Edited by NickAnter, June 20 2019 - 2:56 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#1502 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 20 2019 - 6:34 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
It looks like the 30th will be good in HB for Pogonomyrmex, with a predicted high of 78. In fact, it will probably be good everywhere, due to heat.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#1503 Offline AntPhycho - Posted June 20 2019 - 8:25 AM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Solenopsis truncorum are everywhere- if you have access to a pool you surely have caught them. 

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#1504 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 20 2019 - 2:06 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
They are not truncorum, they have a three segmented club. They are a Monomorium species, likely ergatogyna.

Edited by NickAnter, June 20 2019 - 2:56 PM.

#1505 Offline AntPhycho - Posted June 20 2019 - 2:12 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

They are not truncorum, they have a three segmented club. They are a Monomorium species, likely ergatognya.

Yours might be, but mine are much more comparable to Solenopsis truncorum. 

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#1506 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 20 2019 - 2:47 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

They are not truncorum, they have a three segmented club. They are a Monomorium species, likely ergatognya.

You are aware of what the name "ergatognya" means aren't you?

#1507 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 20 2019 - 2:49 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
I agree, yours do look different than mine. Your location also points away from M. Ergatogyna as well: desert.

You are aware of what the name "ergatognya" means aren't you?
Yes, it means they have ergatoid queens, right? Oh, and I spelled it wrong, the n is after the y.

Edited by NickAnter, June 20 2019 - 2:52 PM.

#1508 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 20 2019 - 2:59 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Correct. Now I may be making an assumption but if the ants in the pool are winged females they are by definition not M. ergatognya.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#1509 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 20 2019 - 3:09 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
So they definetly can't ever make winged alates? That would mean they are M. Minimum.

Edited by NickAnter, June 20 2019 - 3:11 PM.

#1510 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 20 2019 - 3:30 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

They are not known to ever produce winged females, however that does not necessarily make them M. minimum nor does it mean they do not. My father was more than half convinced that the winged desert species M. wheelerorum was a winged form of M. ergatogyna, an opinion apparently held by Barry Bolton as well. But until someone breaks down and does the DNA work who knows.. The genus contains numerous species and is still poorly understood even in the U. S.

#1511 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 20 2019 - 5:20 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Do you want a specimen, or three? So that you can do DNA testing? I have specimens in good shape still. I can put them in water or alchohol for shipping though, if you want them that is.

#1512 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 20 2019 - 5:51 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

I appreciate the offer but I am not in a position to undertake such a project, nor is anyone currently working on this genus as far as I know.

#1513 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 20 2019 - 6:16 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It looks like the 30th will be good in HB for Pogos, with a predicted high of 78. In fact, it will probably be good everywhere, due to heat.

You consider a high temperature of 78 warm for Southern CA in late June? :lol:

#1514 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 20 2019 - 6:40 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Where I live.

#1515 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 20 2019 - 7:12 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Where I live.

Do you live in Big Bear?

#1516 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 21 2019 - 7:00 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Of course not. But very close to the coast, it really only gets warm in July. It is already warming up. And because it is raining right now, I am hoping that rainx combined with a small amount of heat, will trigger Pogonomyrmex flights.

Edited by NickAnter, June 21 2019 - 7:02 AM.

#1517 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 22 2019 - 6:50 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
They changed the forecast, from the 28 to the first, it will be in the 80s! Also, Pheidole navigans is definetly in flight, seemingly every calm and humid night. Has anyone else found anything local?

#1518 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 22 2019 - 8:25 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

"Oh man there's a huge flight of every species you want here! Here is so great.  Lots here.  Here is the place to be right now."

<don't ask where "here" is because I won't answer>

Can the few of you doing that, please stop doing that?  please?

I caught all my ants, except C. Hyatti in Northern Hunington Beach.  Either walking around, in a pool, or on a black light. :lol:

Ah, nice one.  Thanks for sharing. 

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#1519 Offline wrestlerbill89 - Posted June 22 2019 - 8:56 AM

wrestlerbill89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
only solenopsis invicta and pogonomyrmex californicus in the Inland Empire. tommarow will be 91 degrees so I'm hoping for more flights then.

#1520 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 22 2019 - 9:13 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

only solenopsis invicta and pogonomyrmex californicus in the Inland Empire. tommarow will be 91 degrees so I'm hoping for more flights then.

Whereabout will you typically find Pogonomyrmex?  I've been spending some time in Duarte and would love to pop over somewhere for some anting this weekend.

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users