• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2450 replies to this topic

#1401 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted March 18 2019 - 6:26 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Times like last night are why I have the truck I have. I was plenty comfy. Lots of room (of course I'm short too so that helps), climate control, remote start, and high sensitivity carbon monoxide detector. :D

About the gate... I had to be to work 40 miles away at 8:00 AM. The sign says the gate is opened at 6:00 AM. Two hours at 6:00 AM would have been plenty time to make it home (work is at home now :)). Well I sat there until almost 7:00 AM. Needless to say I was pretty pissed. Called the sheriff department and after listening to the woman on the phone try to blame me for their failure, she finally said "Okay we'll send someone." and hung up. I must have interrupted her morning donuts. A few minutes later some grumpy old man that looked like he just woke up comes driving up and unlocks the gate. She told me it's the residents that open the gate. Not exactly sure where the accountability is, but it doesn't sound like anyone there cares.

Why the [censored] do they lock it then, so dumb.

Edited by StopSpazzing, March 18 2019 - 6:27 PM.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#1402 Offline Dargus - Posted March 18 2019 - 6:40 PM

Dargus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

I may be up for going today since I missed yesterday. Anyone else? I've never been to this particular place.

I'm going around 8pm. Ill be at the gate. Anyone who wants to join are welcome. Trhe more the less scarier

Crap I was out hiking and just got reception on my phone. Don't know if I can make it there by 8 but I'll definitely head down.

#1403 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 18 2019 - 6:41 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Times like last night are why I have the truck I have. I was plenty comfy. Lots of room (of course I'm short too so that helps), climate control, remote start, and high sensitivity carbon monoxide detector. :D

About the gate... I had to be to work 40 miles away at 8:00 AM. The sign says the gate is opened at 6:00 AM. Two hours at 6:00 AM would have been plenty time to make it home (work is at home now :)). Well I sat there until almost 7:00 AM. Needless to say I was pretty pissed. Called the sheriff department and after listening to the woman on the phone try to blame me for their failure, she finally said "Okay we'll send someone." and hung up. I must have interrupted her morning donuts. A few minutes later some grumpy old man that looked like he just woke up comes driving up and unlocks the gate. She told me it's the residents that open the gate. Not exactly sure where the accountability is, but it doesn't sound like anyone there cares.

Why the [censored] do they lock it then, so dumb.

Probably an easier solution to problems than the cops doing their job.

• StopSpazzing likes this

#1404 Offline anttics - Posted March 18 2019 - 6:57 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
Wow. Hey guys. I suggest dumping your girlfriends for ant season. I'm heading back home. Women stuff. Since i took sunday antting. I have to go out with her.

#1405 Offline Dargus - Posted March 18 2019 - 7:13 PM

Dargus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Wow. Hey guys. I suggest dumping your girlfriends for ant season. I'm heading back home. Women stuff. Since i took sunday antting. I have to go out with her.

Cool, thanks for the heads up I was about to head out.

#1406 Offline gcsnelling - Posted March 19 2019 - 2:27 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Such a shame, I fondly recall the days of 24 hour access.

#1407 Offline anttics - Posted March 19 2019 - 2:18 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
I'm gonna check a spot today. Where a friend told ne he saw large ants with wings. I think they are camps. I have never been there its called caballero cayon trail. In reseda blvd. Its 10 minites from home. It might be too late to find any. But at least ill take pics of species.

#1408 Offline liquidbee - Posted March 21 2019 - 10:56 AM

liquidbee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationWoodland Hills 91367
@Anttic, post if you see anything flying.

Might check out Serrania Ridge Trail on Sunday when it’s warmer. It’s connect to the Cabarello trail that you mentioned but more towards topanga

#1409 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 21 2019 - 2:24 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Damn, If they’re so lazy, why is there a gate. Just make it a open ticket course thing.

#1410 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted March 25 2019 - 5:27 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Spring break and I can finally go out looking whenever I want. Got my drivers license and am good to go. Looking like something might fly this week? Really jealous of you channey trail folks!

#1411 Offline anttics - Posted March 25 2019 - 7:17 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
Caballero trail. Is at 64 degrees at 8pm. Me and liquiid bee went yesterday. It was at 60 degrees. The strage thing is we did not even see workers of any species. It was dead. There were dead bees not a single ant trying to get it. It was trippy. I won't go today. Since no workers are even foraging. If tomorrow it gets warmer i will go check it out. I hope today they fly.

#1412 Offline TheAntGuy - Posted March 29 2019 - 2:45 PM

TheAntGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationMoreno Valley California
Anyone planning on heading out this sunday? Conditions look good for some flights
Check out my journals, instagram, and youtube channel.

Insta: @theantguy17

Youtube: The Ant Guy

#1413 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted March 30 2019 - 8:01 AM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Hot as f this weekend, what are we doing, going? Think blacklighting will bright anything out?

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#1414 Offline Somethinghmm - Posted March 30 2019 - 1:15 PM

Somethinghmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

I dug up a dorymyrmex sp. queen from a founding chamber. I think they flew today.

#1415 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 30 2019 - 1:29 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I wouldn't be surprised if D. insanus flew today.

#1416 Offline Zeiss - Posted March 30 2019 - 7:08 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Nurbs senses are tingling.

#1417 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 30 2019 - 11:24 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Nurbs senses are tingling.

I heard he's out collecting them right now.

#1418 Offline Stickerino - Posted March 31 2019 - 9:59 AM

Stickerino

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I’m going to Baldwin Hills Overlook today to see if I can get any action.

#1419 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 31 2019 - 10:11 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'll probably go to Trabuco Canyon tonight and then maybe up to Chaney Trail later.

#1420 Offline JasonD - Posted March 31 2019 - 10:26 AM

JasonD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

I'll probably go to Trabuco Canyon tonight and then maybe up to Chaney Trail later.

What do you think will fly? Probably Liometopum occidentale and maybe Camponotus? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users