• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2453 replies to this topic

#121 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 18 2015 - 8:13 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Is that Formica francoeuri? Can you post better pictures of the queens?

• PogoQueen and Thebrute99 like this

#122 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 18 2015 - 8:25 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Oh wow, that Mormon Rocks place is right next to the fire station where Chromerust and I go anting a lot. There's a lot of Formica francoeuri around there, but I would think this is a bit early for Formica to be flying.

#123 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 19 2015 - 8:14 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Drew, what time of day were you out there?

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#124 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 19 2015 - 11:22 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

If you're talking about the fire station spot, we have been there all different times of day.

#125 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 19 2015 - 3:20 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

I was wondering about the time of day you found them wandering. Also any speculation on the time of the flight for the species you found alates/queens?

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#126 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 19 2015 - 4:11 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Sounds like you are referring to Foogoo's post. I'm not the one that found the Formica queens.

#127 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 19 2015 - 5:12 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

yeah, got my posts mixed up.

#128 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 20 2015 - 7:40 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Is that Formica francoeuri? Can you post better pictures of the queens?

I'll try tonight, tubes are the worst when it comes to glare. I actually decided to visit Mormon Rocks based on your anting map, it's a great tool! 

I was wondering about the time of day you found them wandering. Also any speculation on the time of the flight for the species you found alates/queens?

I probably reached the first stop where one was wandering and a queen and drone fell out of the sky around 11:30am. I stopped by the creek after that and was at the Rocks around 2-3pm. I think they flew in the morning. My friend was plucking drones out of the creek when we were there around noon.

Out of the 7, they all seem healthy and one alate removed her wings. I'm trying to move them into THA housings before the cotton has a chance to mold or flood, some queens have already began ripping at it. One of the queens refused to leave the tube gently so she landed with a *plop*. She still looks healthy, but boy that was an unsettling sound  (n) .

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#129 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 20 2015 - 8:51 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Can you post the GPS coordinates to where you were finding most of them? Also, would you describe these queens as hairy or bald?

#130 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 20 2015 - 11:08 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Can you post the GPS coordinates to where you were finding most of them? Also, would you describe these queens as hairy or bald?

I'll extract the EXIF data and post it to your Ant Map thread. My initial impression is bald except for a velvety gaster, which is why I thought they were L. occidentale. A closer look at some of the close ups in the ID thread seems to confirm my impression.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#131 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 20 2015 - 1:07 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Also, would you describe these queens as hairy or bald?

That sounds really funny now that I read it again.

#132 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 20 2015 - 8:41 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Also, would you describe these queens as hairy or bald?

That sounds really funny now that I read it again.

I feel like a lot of things we say here can sound pretty weird out of context. :lol:

Here's are a few half-decent pictures I got with an actual camera and magnifier. One of the queens already laid 4 eggs and was pulling another out of her ... uh, gaster. The queen in the Talus has also laid eggs. They seem really adamant on digging whether that means tugging at the cotton or the glued down sand. I'm thinking a founding container with sand, similar to what Gregory posted in the other thread is the way to go.

DSC02789
Album: Formica
22 images
0 comments

#133 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 21 2015 - 4:25 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I think they are Formica francoeuri. I can see they're covered in white pubescence and short hairs. This would make sense, as there is a LOT of them around that area, especially along the 138 East of the 5 freeway. Over there they are almost the only ants you can find. I also see you found one actually at the fire station. I haven't see any other Formica over there but Formica francoeuri, so I am pretty confident that's what you have there. This is great because now I can add them to the mating chart.

#134 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 21 2015 - 9:51 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Sunday's looking good. I think I might go up in the San Jacinto Mountains, and check out some of the desert-ish areas off the 78, closer to Palm Desert as well.

#135 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 21 2015 - 11:17 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Sunday's looking good. I think I might go up in the San Jacinto Mountains, and check out some of the desert-ish areas off the 78, closer to Palm Desert as well.

Keep us posted! I'm taking some time off soon and will likely try to hit up the places I can never find the time to visit.

#136 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 21 2015 - 4:21 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Looks like it poured rain in a few places out by Landers and Amboy. I'm hoping some closer spots get some too.

#137 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 21 2015 - 8:11 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Up here as well near Santa Clarita. However, will be under 70F tomorrow. Doesn't seem warm enough to make the drive worth it does it?

#138 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 21 2015 - 11:09 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It poured rain in Santa Clarita?

#139 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 22 2015 - 6:27 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

one of the weather apps I was looking at showed rain for the area, Wunderground did not. So, I don't know.

#140 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 22 2015 - 6:59 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Are you talking about radar, or recorded rainfall totals?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users