• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2450 replies to this topic

#861 Offline Zegorzalek - Posted September 8 2017 - 5:20 PM

Zegorzalek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

< still pretty new at knowing what flies and when. I simply enjoy watching ants.. always have. I know what to look for with queens and founding chambers, so will keep my eyes open for what may be available here. Honeypots would be cool... and Pogonomyrmex tenuispinus looks a lot like the ants I have here.. still too much a novice to understand the nuances of body build... I will just watch and catch what I can if anything is flying ;p

#862 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 8 2017 - 5:24 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

< still pretty new at knowing what flies and when. I simply enjoy watching ants.. always have. I know what to look for with queens and founding chambers, so will keep my eyes open for what may be available here. Honeypots would be cool... and Pogonomyrmex tenuispinus looks a lot like the ants I have here.. still too much a novice to understand the nuances of body build... I will just watch and catch what I can if anything is flying ;p

There is a chart on here that shows when species fly during the year and if you go through the posts, it describes the weather and other stuff around it.  

#863 Offline Pleming - Posted September 8 2017 - 5:30 PM

Pleming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

When you heading out?

#864 Offline Zegorzalek - Posted September 8 2017 - 6:40 PM

Zegorzalek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Went for a walk with dogs this evening, and there are a bunch of these flying about. Walked through several swarms. They are beautiful and glossy, though pretty small. Fire ants maybe?

Edited by Zegorzalek, September 8 2017 - 6:45 PM.

• rdurham02 and bonlelew like this

#865 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 8 2017 - 6:43 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Went for a walk with dogs this evening, and there are a bunch of these flying about. Walked through several swarms. They are beautiful and glossy, though pretty small. Fire ants maybe?

https://imgur.com/lnuZRtW

If you want an ant identified, you need to post int he Ant ID thread and follow the instructions on how to post. 

• Martialis likes this

#866 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted September 8 2017 - 6:48 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

I've caught those too. Also, I would like to put out there that my very first colony has finally had its first workers after 3-4 months. I'm so happy!!!! Now I realized that taking care of so many colonies is gonna take a lot of work. I have over 50. I don't know the species of any of them, but forgot to take pictures. Next Saturday I'll take pictures. Afterwards, does anyone know where I should sell them? I'm hoping I earn enough money to get on of Drew's myrmecocystus mexicanus colonies. Also got my first blacklight! It is the Kobra 100 led. I have a question for Drew. When I was at the punchbowl visitor center, it turned out they had a myrmecocystus mexicanus. Once the person there saw my fascination, she told me to leave my name and number and maybe she could get me a queen cause she said someone came around and caught queens. I realized recently, though the pics are limited, the setup they were in looked like it might be Drew's that he sells with his myrmecocystus colonies, but maybe not, Drew's pics of his enclosures he sells with his ants are limited. Could she have been talking about you Drew?

Edited by AntsCalifornia, September 8 2017 - 6:54 PM.

#867 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 8 2017 - 6:52 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

I've caught those too. Also, I would like to put out there that my very first colony has finally had its first workers after 3-4 months. I'm so happy!!!! Now I realized that taking care of so many colonies is gonna take a lot of work. I have over 50. I don't know the species of any of them, but forgot to take pictures. Next Saturday I'll take pictures. Afterwards, does anyone know where I should sell them? I'm hoping I earn enough money to get on of Drew's myrmecocystus mexicanus colonies.

You can sell them through this forum on the general market place, just remember, do not ship them.  People should come to you to pick them up, probably best to meet in a public area.  

#868 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 9 2017 - 6:40 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Pheidole. Most likely P. gilvescens or P. xerophila.

I've caught those too. Also, I would like to put out there that my very first colony has finally had its first workers after 3-4 months. I'm so happy!!!! Now I realized that taking care of so many colonies is gonna take a lot of work. I have over 50. I don't know the species of any of them, but forgot to take pictures. Next Saturday I'll take pictures. Afterwards, does anyone know where I should sell them? I'm hoping I earn enough money to get on of Drew's myrmecocystus mexicanus colonies. Also got my first blacklight! It is the Kobra 100 led. I have a question for Drew. When I was at the punchbowl visitor center, it turned out they had a myrmecocystus mexicanus. Once the person there saw my fascination, she told me to leave my name and number and maybe she could get me a queen cause she said someone came around and caught queens. I realized recently, though the pics are limited, the setup they were in looked like it might be Drew's that he sells with his myrmecocystus colonies, but maybe not, Drew's pics of his enclosures he sells with his ants are limited. Could she have been talking about you Drew?

My friend was telling me about that colony years ago.

#869 Offline Zegorzalek - Posted September 10 2017 - 7:01 PM

Zegorzalek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Well, between work and availability, did a little looking in the desert NE of Barstow. Found some chambers, most had 2-3 workers of what I believe are veromessor (small black harvester in abundance out here) in them, no queens.

I did find two of these ladies this afternoon as we were riding down a dirt road... one with wings literally flew into my hat, and another in the short grass beside the road 20 feet later. Here is a pic of the one without wings.

Edited by Zegorzalek, September 10 2017 - 7:08 PM.

• OniMonkey likes this

#870 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted September 11 2017 - 8:26 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Turns out my anting trip (aka scouting trip  :D) will have to wait till October and will end up being in el mirage. It seems July is when the bulk of flights happen, but will anything still fly in October? If so, what?

*Actually, I have a trip every month, but not in the desert where the best ants are. So that would leave the question, Is there a chance of anything flying in Chantry Flats this Friday and Saturday?

Edited by AntsCalifornia, September 11 2017 - 8:31 PM.

#871 Offline OniMonkey - Posted September 12 2017 - 2:16 PM

OniMonkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Well, between work and availability, did a little looking in the desert NE of Barstow. Found some chambers, most had 2-3 workers of what I believe are veromessor (small black harvester in abundance out here) in them, no queens.

I did find two of these ladies this afternoon as we were riding down a dirt road... one with wings literally flew into my hat, and another in the short grass beside the road 20 feet later. Here is a pic of the one without wings.

Great find Zegoralek. I been looking to find these harvester queens. Can you tell me which area you found them at? You said NE of Barstow, is that by the Calico Ghost Tours or 20 mile toward fort Irwin? Thanks!

#872 Offline Zegorzalek - Posted September 12 2017 - 4:50 PM

Zegorzalek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Inside Ft Irwin, we had a big rain cell roll over us the other evening.

#873 Offline OniMonkey - Posted September 12 2017 - 4:58 PM

OniMonkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I see, can civilian get inside that area?

#874 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted September 12 2017 - 5:04 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Just hop the fence, no worries mate. :lol:

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#875 Offline OniMonkey - Posted September 12 2017 - 5:05 PM

OniMonkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Just hop the fence, no worries mate. :lol:

LOL

#876 Offline OniMonkey - Posted September 13 2017 - 9:13 PM

OniMonkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

So I was there today, but i didn't get pass the guard. I even tried going inside the visiting center, but they said I need to know someone inside to sign me in. In order to visit the base.

After that I just search around the surrounding desert area with no luck. I guess, I was late for the flight

Edited by OniMonkey, September 13 2017 - 9:15 PM.

#877 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 13 2017 - 9:38 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

So I was there today, but i didn't get pass the guard. I even tried going inside the visiting center, but they said I need to know someone inside to sign me in. In order to visit the base.

After that I just search around the surrounding desert area with no luck. I guess, I was late for the flight

All you need to do is bring a gun and provide a display of authority, they can't say no to that.

#878 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted December 10 2017 - 1:37 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Turns out that I'm going to mojave in January, so does anyone know what I might find flying up there at that time? 

#879 Offline gcsnelling - Posted December 10 2017 - 2:05 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

All you need to do is bring a gun and provide a display of authority, they can't say no to that.

Stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Nothing flying in January

Edited by gcsnelling, December 10 2017 - 2:04 PM.

#880 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted December 10 2017 - 8:59 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Nothing flying in January

Really? I could have sworn P. imparis flew in January. :thinking:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users