• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2450 replies to this topic

#61 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 22 2015 - 2:35 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah definitely. I had no idea what they were.

#62 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 22 2015 - 2:54 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

You thought they were Neivamyrmex males at first! rofl

• Miles likes this

#63 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 22 2015 - 3:18 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Haha yeah. They're shaped just like them, and they have a relatively small head. AND Neivamyrmex males drop their wings. I don't know the specifics of this and how often, but they do it. The digging of founding chambers is what was really confusing us. :lol:

#64 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 22 2015 - 4:04 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

We have a major heatwave coming up. Already I'm planning to go to Trabuco Canyon Thursday and Angelus Oaks Friday to hopefully find some Camponotus laevigatus, which I really want. I only have one colony, and it's not doing to great.

#65 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 22 2015 - 4:47 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I am in on this one on Friday. ;)

#66 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 22 2015 - 6:19 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

We have a major heatwave coming up. Already I'm planning to go to Trabuco Canyon Thursday and Angelus Oaks Friday to hopefully find some Camponotus laevigatus, which I really want. I only have one colony, and it's not doing to great.

Are you trying to get them before the heatwave or does the heat make them fly? Unfortunately I work 6-6 and I've been burning too many sick days :( .

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#67 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 22 2015 - 6:29 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The heat triggers the mating flights.

#68 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 27 2015 - 5:14 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Well, Trabuco Canyon didn't have a whole lot going on. I did get lucky though and I found one Liometopum occidentale (Velvety Tree Ant) queen on my black light. I saw one male on the light too last night. I'm pretty sure it too was a Liometopum occidentale. The queen had her wings torn off by morning, so it's looking good.

Hopefully Angelus Oaks will be better than Trabuco Canyon was. There's usually WAY more going on up in the pine forest anyways.

#69 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 27 2015 - 7:49 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I don't know... A few Camponotus and at least one Liometopum would make it worth it. ;)

#70 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 28 2015 - 7:38 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It was a horrible night for collecting queens. Too cold in the higher elevation, and too windy in the lower elevation. Something went wrong with wunderground.com and I now realized what it was. Hopefully this won't happen again.

#71 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 28 2015 - 7:43 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

It was a horrible night for collecting queens. Too cold in the higher elevation, and too windy in the lower elevation. Something went wrong with wunderground.com and I now realized what it was. Hopefully this won't happen again.

That's a bummer, although I didn't know Angelus Oaks existed until you mentioned it. I was thinking when the weather behaves, that could make for a good weekend vacation/ant collecting trip.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#72 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 28 2015 - 8:15 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, it's just a teeny tiny little town. The spot we usually go to is another 10 minutes up the highway. We did however find quite a few all-black Camponotus vicinus queens while walking around that neighborhood once though.

#73 Offline AntsTexas - Posted March 28 2015 - 8:28 AM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

that's why i olny go to the official forecast site the national weather service, here's yours just find where u live on the map and click:  

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx/

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#74 Offline kellakk - Posted March 28 2015 - 8:43 AM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Whoops, I could probably have told you that conditions would be like that based on the night before.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#75 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 28 2015 - 9:15 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

thats why i olny go to the official forecast site the national weather service, here's yours just find where u live on the map and click:  

That's way too broad though. Wunderground.com normally chooses the closest weather station when showing the current conditions, but for some reason, sometimes it gives you the wrong weather station. This is the reason the current conditions will jump all over the place sometimes. I now realize you have to check the weather station and make sure it's the right one.

• AntsTexas likes this

#76 Offline AntsTexas - Posted March 28 2015 - 5:19 PM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

kool, whatever works!  :)

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#77 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 28 2015 - 5:56 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

that's why i olny go to the official forecast site the national weather service, here's yours just find where u live on the map and click:  

That's way too broad though. Wunderground.com normally chooses the closest weather station when showing the current conditions, but for some reason, sometimes it gives you the wrong weather station. This is the reason the current conditions will jump all over the place sometimes. I now realize you have to check the weather station and make sure it's the right one.

Just pick a specific weather station?

#78 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 28 2015 - 9:49 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah. That's what you have to do if it's not on the right one.

#79 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 1 2015 - 2:46 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Drew (and anyone else), what's your experience with desert camping around here? I'm already planning an Angelus Oaks getaway for a good combination of anting and fun and I'm thinking a desert camping excursion for late summer would be another good getaway and maybe find some summer flyers.

Aside from Joshua Tree, has anyone camped the BLM areas around Socal?

#80 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 1 2015 - 3:02 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The area we go to most is a designated camping spot just outside the gate of Joshua Tree National Park on BLM land. The Pinyon Pines area is a good anting area, and I think there are some camp grounds around there. Also, Box Canyon near Mecca, CA is an awesome camping spot, but probably not a place you want to be during the monsoon thunderstorms. I got stuck in a flash flood there. The road washes away every summer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users