• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Camponotus Species Journal

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#101 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted June 3 2020 - 8:29 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Any clue if or when C. castaneus are going to fly?

I still see alates in the nest(as of 2 days ago), so I'm pretty confident they haven't. It's super hot today, so I'm hoping to catch some at the blacklight tonight. My colony is failing right now, and I really don't want to be stuck without any of these.

• ANTdrew and Antkid12 like this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#102 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 3 2020 - 8:32 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Good deal. I'll do some more searching tonight, too.

• FeedTheAnts and Antkid12 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#103 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 3 2020 - 8:33 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Subbarbatus seem to be easier than other Myrmentoma. I have seen many people who have successful colones (not all on this forum), but I don't know how many tries it took to get a successsful colony.

#104 Offline Antkid12 - Posted June 3 2020 - 9:52 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

I saw tons of castaneus alates under rocks. They will fly very soon.

• ANTdrew likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#105 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 3 2020 - 10:16 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Subbarbatus seem to be easier than other Myrmentoma. I have seen many people who have successful colones (not all on this forum), but I don't know how many tries it took to get a successsful colony.

Most people don't realize Camponotus subbarbatus are polygynous. I bet that's why not many are successful. I believe most Myrmentoma are polygynous, actually.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, June 3 2020 - 10:17 AM.

• CatsnAnts, ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

#106 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 3 2020 - 10:35 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
We do have some nearcticus around here. They and pennsylvanicus are the most prevalent Camponotus in suburban environments.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#107 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 9 2020 - 9:46 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 6-9-2020

Things are progressing well for these new queens. It probably helped a lot that our AC was disconnected for five days and indoor temps shot up to 89.9 degrees!

Camponotus subbarbatus:

These queens look so cool. Both of them have pupa cocoons now. I really hope to have success with these.

Camponotus chromaiodes:

These queens are doing great as well. Both of them have pupae now. I'll probably end up selling both of them.

Here is my incubator set up, which hangs about nine feet up in my kitchen, the hottest spot in my home. Heat and common sense is all you really need to be successful in this hobby.

• AnthonyP163, FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts and 3 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#108 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 10 2020 - 5:06 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 6-10-2020

New queens alert! I've spent hours upon hours the past few weeks walking about in wooded areas looking for the elusive Camponotus castaneus queens. Lo and behold, last night they came to me! I had just ordered a 25W CFL black-light bulb, which I screwed into a porch light on my patio. Around 9:30pm two of these beauties landed near by and many dozens of males started swarming the light:

I'm pretty stoked to once again be a part of "Team Castaneus."

• Canadant, AntsDakota and DDD101DDD like this

#109 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 10 2020 - 6:15 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Wow. The only thing that gets that colorful around here is parasitic Lasius. Hope they do well!

However, I just acquired a few Camponotus queens myself of several species, will update my journal in a couple days.
  • Canadant and ANTdrew like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#110 Offline Canadant - Posted June 10 2020 - 7:21 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Update 6-10-2020

New queens alert! I've spent hours upon hours the past few weeks walking about in wooded areas looking for the elusive Camponotus castaneus queens. Lo and behold, last night they came to me! I had just ordered a 25W CFL black-light bulb, which I screwed into a porch light on my patio. Around 9:30pm two of these beauties landed near by and many dozens of males started swarming the light:

I'm pretty stoked to once again be a part of "Team Castaneus."

There we have it. Black lights work. That's awesome. Congrats on the finds. I bet it's great for collecting delicious ant food too! My ants love june bugs.
  • ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#111 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 10 2020 - 7:57 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
They do work! I got a Nylanderia queen, too. She’s maybe 1/10th the size of the big mamas.
Here’s what I used:
https://www.amazon.c...ob_b_asin_title
Time will tell if the queens are mated.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#112 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 23 2020 - 11:19 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update: 6-23-2020

Three of these new queens got their first nanitics at some point this weekend. On Monday morning, I opened up their box and found that one of the C. subbarbatus and two of the C. chromaiodes each had 2-3 nanitics with more on the way soon. I pulled their tubes out of the box and fed them some Sunburst soaked in a paper towel piece.

Pics of the subbarbatus: The nanitics are the size of a Crematogaster worker, so pretty adorable.

The C. nearcticus has pupae now, and the other subbarbatus may already have nanitics.

Camponotus castaneus:
I have a feeling that only one of these girls is mated. She is the one that shed her wings and now has a tidy egg pile. The second one still has her wings and no eggs, and she really freaks every time I open the box. I may just release her.

• FeedTheAnts, CatsnAnts, AntsDakota and 1 other like this

#113 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 23 2020 - 11:27 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

Update: 6-23-2020

Three of these new queens got their first nanitics at some point this weekend. On Monday morning, I opened up their box and found that one of the C. subbarbatus and two of the C. chromaiodes each had 2-3 nanitics with more on the way soon. I pulled their tubes out of the box and fed them some Sunburst soaked in a paper towel piece.

Pics of the subbarbatus: The nanitics are the size of a Crematogaster worker, so pretty adorable.

The C. nearcticus has pupae now, and the other subbarbatus may already have nanitics.

Camponotus castaneus:
I have a feeling that only one of these girls is mated. She is the one that shed her wings and now has a tidy egg pile. The second one still has her wings and no eggs, and she really freaks every time I open the box. I may just release her.

I really wish I liked bigger ants more, but those C. subbarbatus are looking really good I have to say! Maybe I’ll try them again this year ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Spoiler

#114 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 23 2020 - 11:37 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Subbs are too big for you? Lol! I like little ants, too.
  • CatsnAnts likes this

#115 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 23 2020 - 11:46 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

Subbs are too big for you? Lol! I like little ants, too.

Haha ya, I’d say the biggest ant that I would enjoy keeping would be any Lasius sp. (with the exception of Colobopsis sp. and other larger species with small colonies). I prefer to have small workers, queen size doesn’t matter much to me. I simply like to make “compact” setups, and smaller species tend to develop faster, which I like since I have 0 patience lol :lol:
  • TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and Antkid12 like this

Spoiler

#116 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 24 2020 - 10:48 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 6-24-2020

The second of my Camponotus subbarbatus got her first nanitic yesterday. You can see the standard news print in the photo for a sense of scale showing how minute she really is! I fed all the new queens several pre-frozen fruit flies, and they crushed them!

In the bad news department, I had found a Camponotus pennsylvanicus queen randomly about ten days ago. She was a dealate roaming about in the middle of the afternoon, which was pretty odd. Well, it turns out something was wrong with her because I found her curled up dead last night. RIP

• FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts, CatsnAnts and 2 others like this

#117 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 3 2020 - 9:58 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 7-3-2020

All of these new queens are doing very well so far, but I sold one of the C. subbarbatus last weekend.

The biggest news is that my C nearcticus finally got her first workers this week. I got to see her opening up the second worker's cocoon last night. She crushed a mealworm piece I put in her tube last night.

• CatsnAnts, AntsDakota, DDD101DDD and 1 other like this

#118 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 3 2020 - 11:49 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Nice!  (y)

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#119 Offline Polyacanthus - Posted July 6 2020 - 8:49 PM

Polyacanthus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
Supposedly we have subbarbatus here in Michigan but I can't say I've ever seen one, let alone a queen. Very cool though.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#120 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 7 2020 - 3:17 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Subbarbatus would be really easy to miss, but they’re worth looking for. I always see them on the common milkweed plants in my yard (Asclepias syriaca).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users