• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Native Plants and Ants Journal

native plants

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#61 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 30 2019 - 8:20 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 11/30/2019

Humans aren't the only ones feasting on pumpkin these days. Even though it's been quite chilly around here, Prenolepis imparis ants have been very active in my yard. I was impressed the other night to see a bunch of them chowing down on my Halloween pumpkin, which I had thrown in my compost bin. It was about 49deg F! I definitely hope to find more queens of this species next year. They're just so weird!

Here is the actual pumpkin pre-decomposition:

I carved it while listening to the Washington Nationals win game seven of the World Series on the radio. :D

• Martialis and DDD101DDD like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#62 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 9 2020 - 11:46 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 1-9-2020

My garden was blanketed in snow a few days ago, and everything is in deep dormancy. I used some of my extra free time over the holidays to plant a lot of new native plants seeds. Most of these seeds I either gathered off my garden plants or from wild plants in my area. Some special new seeds I found were dawn redwood seeds. This is a species of redwood that was once found in North America, but was thought extinct until being rediscovered in a remote Chinese valley about 60 years ago. There is a nice specimen growing in downtown Leesburg, VA, so I decided to give it a shot. How cool would it be to have a redwood in your yard? It was once native here, so I feel ok growing it.

The other species I planted are:

Echinacea purpurea (purple coneflower)

Rudbeckia laciniata (cutleaf coneflower)

Rudbeckia fulgida (black eyed susan)

Asclepias syriaca (Common milkweed)

Apocynum canabinum (dogbane)

Campsis radicans (trumpet creeper vine)

Parthenocissus quinquefolia (Virginia creeper vine)

Eupatorium fistulosum (hollow stem Joe Pye weed)

Pinus Virginia (Virginia pine)

I hope to continue planting some more species soon. These are all native species that I've documented benefiting ants and other insects in this journal.

I do a simple process of winter sowing because the majority of these seeds need a cold, damp period of a month or more before they will germinate. The easiest way to do this is to sow the seeds in pots, cover them with shade cloth, and leave them outdoors all winter. It's ridiculously easy to get hundreds of seedlings this way. Buying all these plants at a nursery would set you back a couple hundred bucks in no time.

Here are the pots protected under shade cloth. This helps keep rodents from raiding the seeds, and it will protect tender seedlings once they emerge come spring.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#63 Offline BeginnerAntKeeper - Posted March 17 2020 - 7:36 PM

BeginnerAntKeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
Update?
  • ANTdrew likes this

#64 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 18 2020 - 2:16 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update?

I’ll put one together ASAP.

#65 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 18 2020 - 10:53 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-18-2020

Another spring is here in Virginia and it's one like no other. The natural world seems to be the only thing that hasn't been closed, quarantined, or suspended, so my plants are a welcome diversion. None of the native plants have bloomed yet - they're not so easily fooled by false starts. I am getting some germination in starting in my seed trays, however.

Two new species I planted this year are Zizia aurea, or golden alexanders and Apocynum canabinum, aka dogbane. Both have started to germinate, which is exciting. Dogbane is a plant I've wanted for a long time because insects love it like no other! It is a cousin of the milkweeds and much loved by pollinators of all kinds. You can make out a tiny bit of green in this photo, which is a seed germinating:

I also planted a lot of purple coneflowers (Echinacea purpurea), and pretty much all of those seeds have germinated:

My spring beauty (Claytonia virginica) seeds have also germinated after almost a year of waiting. I put these in an old plastic salad box and keep them moist all summer and all winter to meet their germination requirements. Their box doubled this year as a home for my springtails and a bit of moss I propagated up in the corner.

Finally, an elm tree I've been training in a half a**ed manner as a bonsai is starting to leaf out. I started training this tree in 2016, the year my son was born. One of these days I'll get it a legitimate bonsai pot.

Edited by ANTdrew, March 18 2020 - 11:09 AM.

• Martialis likes this

#66 Offline Martialis - Posted March 18 2020 - 1:20 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Have you ever tried any of the spring ephemerals? I think those would be nice!

Spoiler

#67 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 18 2020 - 1:30 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Affirmative. Virginia Bluebells and the spring beauty in my post up above. They’re really easy using my salad box technique. The only tricky part is gathering seeds before the plants disappear.
  • Martialis likes this

#68 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted March 18 2020 - 5:47 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

You should grow some native orchids, they are amazing!

Plants r cool

#69 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 19 2020 - 2:09 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That would be out of this world, but incredibly more complicated. Most orchid seeds need symbiotic fungi to survive and germinate. The ones you see in the grocery store are propagated via tissue culture cloning.

#70 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted March 21 2020 - 8:16 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

That would be out of this world, but incredibly more complicated. Most orchid seeds need symbiotic fungi to survive and germinate. The ones you see in the grocery store are propagated via tissue culture cloning.

I know, but natives are a bit easier as long as you are willing to start from a bit more than seeds. Like starting from a flask which is much easier.

Plants r cool

#71 Offline FSTP - Posted March 22 2020 - 2:17 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

One of my favorite journals

• ANTdrew likes this

#72 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 22 2020 - 5:27 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

My dad grows a bunch of greens in the basement. He grows wheat grass, spinach, and a bunch of other plants that only he could name lol

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#73 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 22 2020 - 5:44 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Twist his arm to grow natives, too.
  • Da_NewAntOnTheBlock likes this

#74 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 22 2020 - 6:27 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I'll try, he said he wanted to grow some plants in a really fertile corner of our backyard, so I'll suggest he grows natives as well

• ANTdrew likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#75 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 22 2020 - 7:49 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
What would Illinois natives be considered? Just curious.
  • ANTdrew likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#76 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 22 2020 - 8:53 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Here's a search, as I wouldn't be able to name them all (https://www.google.c...=active&ssui=on)

• ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

#77 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 22 2020 - 9:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The majority of the plants mentioned in this journal are native across eastern North America.
Great plants to start with would be milkweeds, black-eyes susans, echinacea, and beebalm.

#78 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 22 2020 - 9:26 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

What would Illinois natives be considered? Just curious.

This company is based out of MN. Everything they sell would be native throughout the midwest. Some of the prairie plants are not native as far east as I am, however.
https://www.prairiemoon.com

Edited by ANTdrew, March 22 2020 - 9:26 AM.

#79 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 22 2020 - 10:01 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

The majority of the plants mentioned in this journal are native across eastern North America.
Great plants to start with would be milkweeds, black-eyes susans, echinacea, and beebalm.

I used to grow all these! Lots of Lasius in that garden. I believe some were even brevicornis, and I also got some americanus, besides the ever so abundant neoniger. Had a couple claviger colonies, as well.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#80 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 22 2020 - 11:03 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Why did you stop growing them?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: native plants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users