• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My new forceps

forceps

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 2 2015 - 9:25 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I just got these ultra-fine forceps and just had to share them. The tip is only .01 mm wide. It's amazing how precise they are at this size. I can literally pluck a hair out of an ant with these things. I should have no problem removing mites now.

med_gallery_2_137_362828.jpg

med_gallery_2_137_475554.jpg

• BugFinder likes this

#2 Offline Miles - Posted March 2 2015 - 9:26 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Where'd you get them?

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 2 2015 - 9:35 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

http://www.finescien...x?ProductId=350

What size did you guys use while dissecting ants at the Ants of the Southwest course?

#4 Offline Miles - Posted March 2 2015 - 9:38 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

I honestly don't remember. Probably a little bit larger than that. We only dissected large ants, and I don't remember having the points that precise.

Quite the price tag on that pair!

Edited by Miles, March 2 2015 - 9:39 PM.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 2 2015 - 9:48 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Quite the price tag on that pair!

Tell me about it. Not as bad as that $720 pair they sell. I would hate to drop those.

#6 Offline Ra3MaN - Posted March 2 2015 - 9:49 PM

Ra3MaN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationPretoria, South Africa

My colleague dissects ticks to get their salivary glands, so she also has a pair. They are quite handy when working these with small creatures, best to use in conjunction with a dissecting microscope -which is seems you have  (y)... 

IMG 5858

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 2 2015 - 9:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Wow, that sounds like a job for the .005 mm tip pair.

#8 Offline AntGuySA - Posted March 2 2015 - 10:07 PM

AntGuySA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa

Hi DspDrew 

you could pluck the hairs off an ant with those really amazing and $720 USD is crazy, that makes it R8444.30 ZAR that`s our currency here and way more then what some people earn  %)

still thanks for sharing this with us and as always awesome photo`s, Ra3MaN you said dissecting ticks as in the small red and big gray ones? may I ask what do they use it for?

Regards, AntGuySA

It`s not rocket science 

#9 Offline Ra3MaN - Posted March 2 2015 - 10:22 PM

Ra3MaN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationPretoria, South Africa

Sorry to invade your topic Dspdrew, 

Ra3MaN you said dissecting ticks as in the small red and big gray ones? may I ask what do they use it for?

Our Lab works on ticks known as Amblyomma herbraem, commonly known as the bont-legged tick, which transmits disease in animals the tick can swell up to 2.5cm when full of a blood meal. we use it for our research in the development of domestic animal vaccines. 

IMG 5858

#10 Offline AntGuySA - Posted March 2 2015 - 10:26 PM

AntGuySA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa

Hi Ra3MaN 

Thanks and wow I had no clue that we done this stuff here in South Africa, I must be living under a rock  :whistle:  and yes sorry for the sidetracked question in your post DspDrew  :blush:

Regards, AntGuySA

It`s not rocket science 

#11 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 3 2015 - 7:25 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

How would you hold a presumably live, squirming ant still to pluck things off her?

• Gregory2455 likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#12 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 3 2015 - 11:48 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

How would you hold a presumably live, squirming ant still to pluck things off her?

Cool them down until they are moving very slowly. Even still, it will be tough.

#13 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted March 3 2015 - 12:05 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Cool them down until they are moving very slowly. Even still, it will be tough.

I wouldn't have the patience to do that!

#14 Offline Mathiacus - Posted March 23 2015 - 9:31 PM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia
I am going to design the "byformica ant cradle" and have terry make it on my dime for you to test Drew.

May i ask the max clearance you have under your microscope?

#15 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 23 2015 - 9:41 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

150 mm. What do you need that for?

#16 Offline Mathiacus - Posted March 23 2015 - 9:46 PM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia
An elevated platform with multiple notches for "restraining belts" that you can add or subtract weight to. This will allow you to place your ant down on the bed then loop the belt (hair, fine cotton, steel cable or whatever ) over her to hold her still so you can safely (for you both) get to work. Interested?

#17 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 23 2015 - 9:54 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

An elevated platform with multiple notches for "restraining belts" that you can add or subtract weight to. This will allow you to place your ant down on the bed then loop the belt (hair, fine cotton, steel cable or whatever ) over her to hold her still so you can safely (for you both) get to work. Interested?

Is there no lab product that would serve a similar purpose?  I doubt many live, wiggling things are manipulated under a scope at that magnification, as even a vibration would throw it out of focus.

However, if such a product doesn't exist, it might be a good idea for the universities and research labs that purchase my products.

Edited by drtrmiller, March 23 2015 - 9:55 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#18 Offline Mathiacus - Posted March 23 2015 - 10:25 PM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia
Oh! This is happening! Unless it has been done before.. but you know we can do it for next to nothing.. you said "lab product" i read "overly expensive doodad"

Edited by Mathiacus, March 23 2015 - 10:26 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: forceps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users