• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is it possible to introduce a foreign queen to a queenless colony?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Derpy - Posted March 31 2019 - 11:57 AM

Derpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationSan Jose CA

Is it possible to introduce a queen of the same species to a mature queenless colony? Lets say I have a colony of Camponotus Maritimus and the queen dies. Is there any way I could introduce a new queen to the colony, in hopes to keep the colony alive? If you repeat this could you technically have an immortal colony? I know that in most cases they will fight, but I have seen some journals, in which the merge was succesful.

-1x Parasitic Formica Sp. Colony

-1x Pogonomymrex Californicus Colony

-1x Camponotus Hyatti Colony

#2 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted March 31 2019 - 5:04 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Not sure about mature but I have done it with a small Camponotus hyatti colony.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted April 1 2019 - 6:06 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Yes, but you need a few months (so the scent of the original queen can fade out) and there's never a guarantee that it actually works with a specific queen and colony (it's a bit of a gamble).

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#4 Offline dermy - Posted April 1 2019 - 12:08 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

A mature colony seems a little risky. I know with newer colonies you can try to add a new queen to them and they will sometimes accept her. It really works well for young colonies whose workers are still young enough that they haven't developed a colony scent yet (like callow workers that haven't fully darkened up).

I guess you could try to chill them down a bit before you introduce a new queen after a few weeks/months of them being queenless and see if that helps out the situation out any, but I wouldn't hold your breath too much..... Most of the people [notably http://www.formicult...er/12-Crystals/] who have added new queens to a colony that has lost their Queen do so in the first year or two when the colony is still small.

I know from my own experience that adding new queens to Myrmica colonies is sometimes successful.

#5 Offline Derpy - Posted April 1 2019 - 3:34 PM

Derpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationSan Jose CA

thanks for all the replies!

-1x Parasitic Formica Sp. Colony

-1x Pogonomymrex Californicus Colony

-1x Camponotus Hyatti Colony

0 user(s) are reading this topic