• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pill bugs

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 3 2015 - 10:26 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Do any of you use pill bugs in your formicaria to control mold/mildew?

• Gregory2455 likes this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#2 Offline ToeNhi - Posted March 3 2015 - 10:51 PM

ToeNhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationBayArea, CA, USA
I use them in a THA's formicarium I keep Linepithema humile in, and they do an awesome job cleaning out the mold.
  • Gregory2455 and BugFinder like this

-ToeNhi

#3 Offline antmaniac - Posted March 4 2015 - 12:45 AM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

I actually thought about this and put one in with my Polyrhachis Sp. The queen just keep attacking the bug so I had to remove the pill bug.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 4 2015 - 5:32 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Springtails really work the best for this. I never see mold again in anything I put them in.

#5 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 4 2015 - 11:06 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Where do you suggest I can get springtales?

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#6 Offline dean_k - Posted March 4 2015 - 1:19 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

Where do you suggest I can get springtales?

From dspdrew. :)

• BugFinder likes this

#7 Offline antmaniac - Posted March 4 2015 - 1:28 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Maybe somewhere moldy under the pots, but ants may eat them.

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 4 2015 - 2:55 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Well, I'm not even sure where mine originally came from, but I have them in any container that is kept very wet. Some of them I purposely put the springtails in. If you find a piece of rotting wood, and you put it in a container and keep it wet, you'll probably end up with some springtails. I actually recently made some springtail cultures that are just containers for nothing other than growing springtails. I find that they grow the best in wet sphagnum moss. The nice thing about sphagnum moss is that it has antimicrobial properties, partly because of how it acidifies its surroundings, so you don't end up with that nasty rotten egg smelling anaerobic bacteria after it sits saturated in water for a long time. You can also buy springtail cultures.

#9 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 4 2015 - 9:19 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

How much could I pick up one or two from you for?

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#10 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 4 2015 - 9:22 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

You should be able to find isopods and other detritivores under most any rock in a moist, partly-sunny garden.  

They need lots of moisture, and so they aren't likely to be beneficial to Pogonomyrmex or other dry ant habitats.

Edited by drtrmiller, March 5 2015 - 1:37 AM.

• BugFinder likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 4 2015 - 11:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I haven't sold any springtails before, but I supposed I could. I don't think shipping them in CA would do any damage to them. Let me see if I could ship you some. I'll get back to you on this.

#12 Offline Mercutia - Posted March 5 2015 - 6:18 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

If you go to any reptile/amphibian info, they usually sell springtails as food for smaller amphibians.

• BugFinder likes this

#13 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 5 2015 - 1:11 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

This is the first time I'm hearing they can be used to control mold. You don't have any issues with the ants hunting all of them down?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#14 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 5 2015 - 1:18 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

This is the first time I'm hearing they can be used to control mold. You don't have any issues with the ants hunting all of them down?

Springtails are easy pickings for smaller ants, but isopods are generally left alone.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#15 Offline Miles - Posted March 5 2015 - 2:59 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Springtails are easy pickings for smaller ants, but isopods are generally left alone.

When I have placed isopods near and in ant colonies, the ants often panic and attack them, without relent. I'm not sure how it would go in captivity (non myrmecophile species).

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#16 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 5 2015 - 3:02 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

It is species and environmentally dependent.

• BugFinder likes this

#17 Offline AntTeen804 - Posted March 5 2015 - 10:40 PM

AntTeen804

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationVirginia

What about a Pseudoscorpion for mites?

nvm ants would eat that

If you ain't got a dream, you ain't got nothing.

#18 Offline Miles - Posted March 5 2015 - 10:41 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

What about a Pseudoscorpion for mites?

nvm ants would eat that

I find them frequently coexisting with ants.

Edited by Miles, March 5 2015 - 10:41 PM.

• BugFinder likes this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users