• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

All My Strumigenys louisianae Died! Why?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 28 2018 - 4:35 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

So if you read my most recent post, you will know that I collected a large colony of Strumigenys louisianae, with workers about 100 strong, from under a rock. I put them all into a small vial and left them overnight. I planned to make a new setup for them overnight. This morning when I woke up, they were all dead. This isn't the firs time this has happened with Strumigenys. When I owned a colony of Strumigenys membranifera, the exact same thing happened! Does anyone have any idea why this could be? They seem like very sensitive ants. I am very sad that I lost this colony. It was like having a mini colony of Trap-jaw Ants with their spring-loaded mandibles. They even do that thing where they shut their jaws against a surface and fly back. I really need to know why they died so that next time I don't make the same mistakes.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#2 Offline Scrixx - Posted October 28 2018 - 8:50 AM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSan Bernardino County, CA.

That sucks to lose a colony like that. They might have dried out if they were in a collection tube without any source of moisture.

• DaveJay likes this

ScrixxAnts Queen Adoption

YouTube: View my ants

Keeping: Camponotus sansabeanus - C. vicinus - Formica francoeuri - Liometopum occidentale -  Pogonomyrmex californicus - P. rugosus - P. subnitidus - Solenopsis molesta - S. xyloni - Tapinoma sessile - Temnothorax sp.

Journals: Camponotus sansabeanus & C. vicinus | Pogonomyrmex californicus & P. rugosus | Solenopsis molesta & S. xyloni

Discontinued: Pogonomyrmex subnitidus

#3 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 28 2018 - 8:55 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

That sucks to lose a colony like that. They might have dried out if they were in a collection tube without any source of moisture.

That would make sense. And yeah, it does suck. They were so cool looking and I was excited to make a nest out of firebrick for them so I could see them better and watch their movements.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#4 Offline GeorgeK - Posted October 28 2018 - 10:11 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

That would make sense. And yeah, it does suck. They were so cool looking and I was excited to make a nest out of firebrick for them so I could see them better and watch their movements.

I would suggest you actually contact AntsAreUs over PM. He should know ALOT about them

• AntsBC likes this

#5 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 28 2018 - 1:18 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I would suggest you actually contact AntsAreUs over PM. He should know ALOT about them

Okay. I'll do that.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#6 Offline DaveJay - Posted October 29 2018 - 1:35 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
I found out pretty quickly that ants die if left in a collection vial/tube overnight without adding something damp, even a bit of wet tissue works okay. No airholes is not a problem but lack of moisture/humidity kills them within hours.

#7 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 29 2018 - 3:32 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I found out pretty quickly that ants die if left in a collection vial/tube overnight without adding something damp, even a bit of wet tissue works okay. No airholes is not a problem but lack of moisture/humidity kills them within hours.

I kind of figured it had something to do with moisture. Thanks for confirming!

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#8 Offline DaveJay - Posted October 29 2018 - 8:47 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

I found out the hard way, thinking I'll set up test tubes in the morning for the queens I collected rather than before going to bed but most were dead by morning. Then I did it again another time after a hectic evening, I thought of it once in bed but thought what difference would a few hours make? It made a lot of difference! After that I sat down and added water dams at the end of a dozen test tubes and put them away so they were ready for any queens I find. This was in cool weather too, nights around 10c in the loungeroom, I think in warm weather I'll put damp sphagnum moss in the collection tubes while still out looking. Live and learn I guess.
  • sweetgrass likes this

#9 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 29 2018 - 11:34 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I found out the hard way, thinking I'll set up test tubes in the morning for the queens I collected rather than before going to bed but most were dead by morning. Then I did it again another time after a hectic evening, I thought of it once in bed but thought what difference would a few hours make? It made a lot of difference! After that I sat down and added water dams at the end of a dozen test tubes and put them away so they were ready for any queens I find. This was in cool weather too, nights around 10c in the loungeroom, I think in warm weather I'll put damp sphagnum moss in the collection tubes while still out looking. Live and learn I guess.

Ahh, now I'll know for next time.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users