• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hibernation - can the brood survive?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PaxxMantid - Posted October 26 2018 - 8:52 AM

PaxxMantid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPetamluma, CA

hi all -

I have a Camponotus pennsylvanicus, lasius niger, and tetramorum c. colony going, and they are all seeming to slow down a bit lately, so I think it's close to hibernation time. The Camponotus is actually still pretty active, but the others are mostly just hangin out in the nest, not feeding much, etc

But, they all have brood, apparently at all stages - eggs, and nearly mature pupae as far as I can tell. 

Can they hibernate with the brood? Will it survive? Or is there some way I should try and time it so the new workers emerge before hibernation?

thanks!

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 26 2018 - 9:01 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

This is a really detailed post on the Tarheel Ants blog that focuses especially on Camponotus:

http://tarheelants.b...-for-your.html

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 27 2018 - 3:27 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You need to scroll down to the Oct 17th entry “Inducing Diapause.”
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline CampoKing - Posted October 28 2018 - 9:15 PM

CampoKing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationColorado
Long story short, larvae serve several functions in a colony besides saying "Feed me!" They will hibernate with the workers just fine. In a sense, they are "needed" by the colony at all times for some complicated reasons.
Pupae might be a casualty, but it's ok. They'll make more next year :)

Edited by CampoKing, October 28 2018 - 9:17 PM.

• ANTdrew likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users