• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Crematogaster Divas Journal -Reboot!

antdrew crematogaster journal divas

665 replies to this topic

#301 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 14 2020 - 4:33 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Probably well above 1,000, possibly even 2,000.

Edited by ANTdrew, May 14 2020 - 4:35 AM.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#302 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 19 2020 - 2:09 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Well, they did it again. The Divas chewed a new hole in the hot glue. I need to cover it with something more permanent. Any ideas???
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#303 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 19 2020 - 2:12 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Try 100% silicone. You can easily find at Lowes.

• ANTdrew likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#304 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 19 2020 - 2:48 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Would the fumes of that curing be harmful to them?
I have a tube already. Maybe I’ll plug their escape holes with hot glue, then cover everything with a thick bead of silicone? That will look lovely!

Edited by ANTdrew, May 19 2020 - 2:52 PM.

#305 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 22 2020 - 10:14 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Video update:
Here is a nice video showing my prize Divas:

https://drive.google...zh-gZynnAGvtj-H

Edited by ANTdrew, May 22 2020 - 10:27 AM.

• FeedTheAnts and Boog like this

#306 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted May 22 2020 - 6:58 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Would the fumes of that curing be harmful to them?
I have a tube already. Maybe I’ll plug their escape holes with hot glue, then cover everything with a thick bead of silicone? That will look lovely!

Silicone does not have any fumes, i think.

• ANTdrew likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#307 Offline Antkid12 - Posted May 23 2020 - 3:31 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Video update:
Here is a nice video showing my prize Divas:

https://drive.google...zh-gZynnAGvtj-H

Nice video, They are really swarming!

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#308 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 23 2020 - 6:42 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Thanks, my friend. That’s their resting state now.

#309 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 28 2020 - 7:09 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 5-28-2020

With this colony, I've been feeling like the little Dutch boy plugging up the dike lately. On multiple occasions, they've chewed new gaps in the hot glue sealing their glass on the Nucleus III nest, and I've found small numbers of ants wandering outside the formicarium. I went ahead and put a bead of mounting putty all along the seam because I think they cannot chew through it. The holes I plugged with the stuff a month ago have held strong, so I'm cautiously optimistic. It doesn't look the best, but it beats the alternative, that's for sure.

In better news, I've been able to really clean their Nucleus outworld thoroughly now because most of the workers are up in the new "desert outpost" and I made one of the DIY aspirators. It's oddly satisfying vacuuming up their crap after watching it pile up for months. The aspirator is super helpful for quickly collecting fugitive ants as well, where in the past I would have just given up.  

There's nothing else to report really other than their rampant growth. These girls empty a byFormica mega feeder in under a week now. Will I see alates later this year?? Stay tuned...

Edited by ANTdrew, May 28 2020 - 7:11 AM.

• AnthonyP163, FeedTheAnts, Canadant and 3 others like this

#310 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 28 2020 - 1:54 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Post script:
I finally got to see the Crematogaster cf ashmeadi queen my twin found a few weeks ago today. She’s smaller than my cerasi queens, and I’m happy to report that she’s laid eggs. Pretty pumped for a new species! How long should these take, FTA?
  • FeedTheAnts and TennesseeAnts like this

#311 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 28 2020 - 2:53 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Post script:
I finally got to see the Crematogaster cf ashmeadi queen my twin found a few weeks ago today. She’s smaller than my cerasi queens, and I’m happy to report that she’s laid eggs. Pretty pumped for a new species! How long should these take, FTA?

Oh, they're fast. From egg to worker is no more than 4 and a half weeks. A friend of mine raised Queen Valentine for the first month, and when she gave her back then the colony got it's first workers almost immediately. Heat is the key, and larvae will grow infinitely fast if given enough protein. 

#312 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 28 2020 - 3:04 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Nice! Heat shouldn’t be a problem in his apartment. I’ll max them out on protein once she gets workers and I take her into my custody.

#313 Offline Canadant - Posted May 29 2020 - 5:22 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
Drew, any odd things your Cremas like? I'm looking for some different protein ideas. I do crickets and fruit flies mainly. The odd bloodworm soup.

Fish flakes?
Cooked/raw meat?
Fruit doesnt seem to work.

Your colony looking really good. Man I love that outworld. Its huge. My cremas don't seem to be growing as I thought they would.
  • ANTdrew likes this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#314 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 29 2020 - 5:33 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

They've been kind of lukewarm about protein of late, but I feed them a mix of mealworms, dubia roaches, fruit flies, along with wild caught stuff like beetles, spiders, earwigs, and termites. I occasionally will pre-masticate some cooked meats for them and drop a wad in their outworld.

• Canadant likes this

#315 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 29 2020 - 7:05 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

They've been kind of lukewarm about protein of late, but I feed them a mix of mealworms, dubia roaches, fruit flies, along with wild caught stuff like beetles, spiders, earwigs, and termites. I occasionally will pre-masticate some cooked meats for them and drop a wad in their outworld.

It's kinda weird, but they enjoy saliva(human). Pre-masticated food sounds like a good idea.

#316 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 29 2020 - 8:09 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Gross, but true. I may try the bird poop thing too if I find a juicy one.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#317 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 31 2020 - 9:43 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Photo Update 5-31-2020

There have been no escapes in over 48 hours! :yahoo:

Feeding time:

Getting artsy:

Filling up the Nucleus III. Note the lovely band of mounting putty. I don't think they can actually chew through this stuff - of course I could be wrong!

• FeedTheAnts, AntsMaryland, Boog and 3 others like this

#318 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 12 2020 - 7:17 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 6-12-2020

I just finished "teaching" my last distance learning class of the year, so summer has officially begun! Some more good news is that there is really nothing to report with my Crematogasters, which means there have been no escapes since I put up the decorative putty band on their Nucleus. The number of foragers up in the desert outpost is pretty amazing sometimes. They all go nuts every time I open the lid. These ants drink water like it's 1999 for some reason, more than any other species I've kept. I have a large byFormica feeder filled with water in the outpost, one in the Nucleus outworld, and a nestmate with water in the Nucleus.

I fed them banded crickets for the first time last night, and they crushed them:

• FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts, Boog and 3 others like this

#319 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted June 12 2020 - 7:39 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I hate to admit this, but your colony is probably larger than mine now. The Valentines have had a massive die off in the last week, combined with escapes. They're still huge, but probably not more than 3000 strong now. The worst part is that when they escaped then some rouge workers killed my Formica subsericea colony by entering through the crack in their mini hearth (Cremas could fit through, but not Formica). 

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

#320 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 12 2020 - 7:41 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I hate to admit this, but your colony is probably larger than mine now. The Valentines have had a massive die off in the last week, combined with escapes. They're still huge, but probably not more than 3000 strong now. The worst part is that when they escaped then some rouge workers killed my Formica subsericea colony by entering through the crack in their mini hearth (Cremas could fit through, but not Formica). 

Oh wow... That sucks....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antdrew, crematogaster, journal, divas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users