• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Crematogaster Divas Journal -Reboot!

antdrew crematogaster journal divas

667 replies to this topic

#341 Offline Spazmops - Posted July 24 2020 - 4:33 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado
I just read the entire journal for the first time and man, it’s well written. Myrmy’s law is absolute genius
  • AnthonyP163, AntsMaryland and ANTdrew like this

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#342 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 24 2020 - 5:26 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I just read the entire journal for the first time and man, it’s well written. Myrmy’s law is absolute genius

Thak you. That made my day.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#343 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted July 24 2020 - 5:34 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I know right… I have read this journal over and over again so many times. :D

• ANTdrew likes this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#344 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 6 2020 - 9:57 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Update 8-6-2020

The "so 2020" dumpster fire continues in my Divas' outworld with them conquering the Fluon barrier and continued mite problems. The colony is still doing well, though, in any case.

I'm choosing instead to focus on this cute new Crematogaster cf ashmeadi colony:

They currently have eight workers and the queen is very physogastric as you can see in the photo. They are growing way slower than my other C. cerasi colonies for some reason. The workers also walk differently with their gasters angled up much more. All this, along with the queen's small size, makes me pretty confident I'm dealing with a new species.

Edited by ANTdrew, August 6 2020 - 10:06 AM.

• FeedTheAnts, DDD101DDD and Wegmier like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#345 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 6 2020 - 10:11 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Just wait till your Nylanderia colony is as large as mine. From what you say about Crematogaster, imagine that, but able to slip through gaps half the size they can. An imagine those ants with little jetpacks on them when they are upset.  Nice work with this colony, still so jealous of Eastern ant diversity!

• ANTdrew likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#346 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 6 2020 - 10:32 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

:o  :shock:

#347 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 6 2020 - 10:36 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Just wait till your Nylanderia colony is as large as mine. From what you say about Crematogaster, imagine that, but able to slip through gaps half the size they can. An imagine those ants with little jetpacks on them when they are upset.  Nice work with this colony, still so jealous of Eastern ant diversity!

What about all the diversity in Cali lol, honeypots, leaf cutters, harvesters, Argentines every where you go- I mean Camponotus spp. all around, and a bunch of other ants.
  • Canadant likes this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#348 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 6 2020 - 12:47 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

There isn't much diversity in the city.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#349 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 6 2020 - 1:44 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

So cute!

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#350 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 15 2020 - 11:53 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Dear Divas,

Please stop escaping. You are my favorite colony, and I'd like you to stick around a while longer. You have constant warmth, humidity, and a luxurious Nucleus formicarium. Your cup of nectar runneth over. There is really no need for you go anywhere else. Please stay for a while.

Sincerely,

ANTdrew

• FeedTheAnts, AntsMaryland, skocko76 and 6 others like this

#351 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 15 2020 - 11:59 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Dear Divas,

Please stop escaping. You are my favorite colony, and I'd like you to stick around a while longer. You have constant warmth, humidity, and a luxurious Nucleus formicarium. Your cup of nectar runneth over. There is really no need for you go anywhere else. Please stay for a while.

Sincerely,

ANTdrew

:D

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#352 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted August 15 2020 - 11:59 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Maybe a lid might help.

• ANTdrew likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#353 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 15 2020 - 12:04 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Update 8-15-2020

I didn't think they could, but my Divas chewed through the thick band of mounting putty I had blocking a gap in their Nucleus formicarium. I can barely cut that stuff with scissors, but these dang things got through it. Turns out that’s what all the weird white stuff was in their trash pile! I woke up last Sunday to find hundreds free-range vibing in my living room. Thanks to my handy DIY aspirator, I was able to gather them all up quickly. I knew something more permanent had to be done to fix this issue.

I thought a bit about trying to manually remove them from the Nucleus, so I could silicone down the glass. I abandoned that idea pretty quick, though, when I considered how daunting and traumatic it would be for everyone involved. I decided to try a different tack: I removed all the mounting putty and sealed the gap with hot glue. Then I ran a thick bead of silicone over the hot glue. I knew that fumes were a risk, but I took the gamble, and I'm happy to say that it paid off! Ants can't get out of the gap anymore, and no harm came to them in the process.

I also took time to make a new, sterile outworld in the hopes of mitigating my grain mite issue. I also needed to reapply the fluon for easier access. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I vow to keep this one cleaner by using feeding dishes.

This colony is sure giving me a run for my money!

Edited by ANTdrew, August 15 2020 - 12:19 PM.

• FeedTheAnts, DDD101DDD and Antkid12 like this

#354 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 16 2020 - 3:15 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Maybe a lid might help.

Absolutely! They have a tight lid on the outworld that is fully escape proof, even for them! The issue is the gap in the Nucleus’ glass. I think I fixed it permanently, but we’ll see what they come up with next.. ((shark music intensifies))

#355 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 16 2020 - 12:07 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
I wouldn’t get my hopes up because Crematogaster.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#356 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted August 16 2020 - 3:47 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I hope this doesn't make you hate me... but I haven't had any escapes from the actual nesting unit of my Nucleus. I told Mack beforehand that it would be for Crematogaster, so maybe he gave it the ultimate lookover. 

• ANTdrew likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#357 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 16 2020 - 4:29 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I hope this doesn't make you hate me... but I haven't had any escapes from the actual nesting unit of my Nucleus. I told Mack beforehand that it would be for Crematogaster, so maybe he gave it the ultimate lookover.

No hate, bro. My error was buying a ready to ship one that specifically said “large species.” Honestly, the gap is big enough for Camponotus to slip out. Next time I buy something for them, I’m calling Mack in person and ordering it custom made security. Because Crematogaster.
  • FeedTheAnts likes this

#358 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 25 2020 - 12:39 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Any update with these chaotic ants?

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#359 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 25 2020 - 1:23 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’ll whip up one this week.
  • TechAnt and Spazmops like this

#360 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 27 2020 - 7:41 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 8-27-2020

I feel like I'm winning at ants again. I've effectively controlled the grain mite outburst in Sigyn's set up using predatory mites, and there have been no more escapes in weeks. They did conquer the new fluon pretty quickly, though, so I've basically given up on it. Their lid will be the escape prevention, and I'll just have to hone my ninja ant-care skills while it is removed for access.

One big change I did recently was taping a heat cable to two contact points near where they stash brood in the back of the Nucleus. They were in the low 80s, but I'd noticed massive egg piles just lingering for weeks and lack-luster feeding responses, so I figured I'd try giving them a bit more heat. It's been about 12 days, and I can say that it has had a big impact. They have lots of hatched larvae now and they are swarming protein again:

The only downside has been a bit of condensation (which I think is what compromised their Fluon). A group of workers comes to rest in this front of the Nucleus every night now. They disperse by the time I'm done with breakfast:

New Queens!
 On Tuesday, I noticed my handy patio colony beginning to swarm for nuptial flight. I knew I had to get out searching, so I went Ferris Bueller from my online teacher trainings/ meetings and visited the same spot I had found Sigyn two years ago. I was happy to find three dealate queens as I slowly ambled around the picnic area staring at the ground and likely creeping out the other park users.

I collected two more later in the day with my kids at a prime spot further down the Potomac River. I'll probably be selling all of these, but it's always good to have a back up.

Edited by ANTdrew, August 27 2020 - 8:48 AM.

• AnthonyP163, RacRmt, AntsDakota and 2 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antdrew, crematogaster, journal, divas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users