• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Trying to buy Linepithema Humile queens

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Offline benxixi - Posted June 1 2021 - 4:00 PM

benxixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationAlhambra, California
I am trying to buy Linepithema Humile queens , to research and vedio.

Ants ,formicary, and ants supply product for selling .

Discord : benxixi#0053 , ins :benxixi_ (ants, product, nest pictures)

Pogonomyrmex californicus  1

#2 Offline yaboiseth - Posted June 1 2021 - 4:16 PM

yaboiseth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA
I can get you some, they infest my area. What exactly do you need? Just a few queens or some brood and workers too?

#3 Offline Zeiss - Posted June 1 2021 - 5:12 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

You live in LA.  You can go outside and grab some and not waste money on them.

• Manitobant likes this

#4 Offline benxixi - Posted June 2 2021 - 1:00 PM

benxixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

I can get you some, they infest my area. What exactly do you need? Just a few queens or some brood and workers too?

yes. 

#5 Offline benxixi - Posted June 2 2021 - 1:01 PM

benxixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

You live in LA.  You can go outside and grab some and not waste money on them.

I know ,but what I found is that they always under something I can not move ... :(

#6 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted June 2 2021 - 5:40 PM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

I am trying to buy Linepithema Humile queens , to research and vedio.

I have a small colony if you want it. I've been feeding some workers to my lizards and don't really need them, they have about 5 queens and are getting workers every few days.

#7 Offline manik - Posted June 4 2021 - 7:13 AM

manik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationNYC

aren't they compared to fire ants? 

#8 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted June 4 2021 - 7:36 AM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

The USDA has given up on Linepithema Humile. With fire ants they have quarantine zones for them and are still trying to get rid of them as they are more of a threat to agriculture and much more. 

#9 Offline manik - Posted June 4 2021 - 7:40 AM

manik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationNYC

The USDA has given up on Linepithema Humile. With fire ants they have quarantine zones for them and are still trying to get rid of them as they are more of a threat to agriculture and much more. 

so they were the dominant species  and got replaced by fire ants?... do they grow as fast as fire ants? i think they look super cool tbh

#10 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted June 4 2021 - 8:40 AM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

so they were the dominant species  and got replaced by fire ants?... do they grow as fast as fire ants? i think they look super cool tbh

No, Argies got so bad and hard to kill and keep out of the US the USDA just gave up. They don't grow as fast as fire ants. They are huge pests because they can easily get into food and get transported. The main thing about them is that ANY colony will become one colony with another so you can just scoop them up and put them with another colony and they will be one. i recommend Ants Australia's documentary on his massive colony. One way they kill native species is just by pure numbers swarming. This is also why it's hard to kill them. I like the queens abdomin's look.

• ZTYguy likes this

#11 Offline manik - Posted June 4 2021 - 8:50 AM

manik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationNYC

No, Argies got so bad and hard to kill and keep out of the US the USDA just gave up. They don't grow as fast as fire ants. They are huge pests because they can easily get into food and get transported. The main thing about them is that ANY colony will become one colony with another so you can just scoop them up and put them with another colony and they will be one. i recommend Ants Australia's documentary on his massive colony. One way they kill native species is just by pure numbers swarming. This is also why it's hard to kill them. I like the queens abdomin's look.

i started ants keeping this year i don't think I'm ready for a multi queen colony hahaha, I'm going for slow growing colonies so i can learn but i love how they look, if they don't grow as fast i may get one 

#12 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted June 4 2021 - 8:55 AM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

so they were the dominant species and got replaced by fire ants?... do they grow as fast as fire ants? i think they look super cool tbh
No, Argies got so bad and hard to kill and keep out of the US the USDA just gave up. They don't grow as fast as fire ants. They are huge pests because they can easily get into food and get transported. The main thing about them is that ANY colony will become one colony with another so you can just scoop them up and put them with another colony and they will be one. i recommend Ants Australia's documentary on his massive colony. One way they kill native species is just by pure numbers swarming. This is also why it's hard to kill them. I like the queens abdomin's look.
i started ants keeping this year i don't think I'm ready for a multi queen colony hahaha, I'm going for slow growing colonies so i can learn but i love how they look, if they don't grow as fast i may get one
I highly don’t recommend argies, they can easily escape, and are pretty hard to feed. Plus they are invasive so you could get some hate. Also it is always an option to get a one queen colony.

#13 Offline Broncos - Posted June 4 2021 - 9:38 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California

that's terrible. They shouldn't have given up on the argentines. If we don't do anything, most over ants will be either extremely rare or extinct within the next few decades.

• KadinB likes this

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#14 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted June 4 2021 - 9:40 AM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

that's terrible. They shouldn't have given up on the argentines. If we don't do anything, most over ants will be either extremely rare or extinct within the next few decades.
I agree, but there’s almost no way they can kill them. Invicta are more of a threat though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#15 Offline Broncos - Posted June 4 2021 - 9:45 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

I agree, but there’s almost no way they can kill them. Invicta are more of a threat though.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the invicta stetement. At least where I live, argentine ants are all over. I can't find other ants unless i drive like 40 minutes towards the desert or a remote hiking spot. I don't see many invicta. But it could be a different story where you live.

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

#16 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted June 4 2021 - 9:50 AM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the invicta stetement. At least where I live, argentine ants are all over. I can't find other ants unless i drive like 40 minutes towards the desert or a remote hiking spot. I don't see many invicta. But it could be a different story where you live.
It may be clear to you that the argie situation can’t be dealt with, but invicta are agricultural pests and are being contained in areas because of that.

#17 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted June 4 2021 - 9:51 AM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
They don’t really care about them killing ants, to them they really only care about the crops.

#18 Offline Broncos - Posted June 4 2021 - 10:56 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

That, I can agree with. Getting rid of invicta will be beneficial.

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

#19 Offline SurfingTangents - Posted June 5 2021 - 4:08 PM

SurfingTangents

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationFlorida, Port Saint Lucie
Anyone in Florida with this colony I’ll buy.

#20 Offline KadinB - Posted June 5 2021 - 5:13 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

they have completely stoped return to stop them. There legal to ship with in California because they are in every county there even all the way up here in nor cal and I live 2 hours up north of the Bay Area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users