• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Tetramorium Eradication Journal

tetramorium tetramorium eradication

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted November 22 2018 - 6:32 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

I can totally understand where you are coming from. I have noticed that areas with lots of Tetramorium tend to have less ant diversity. I found a new acting spot recently and there's no Tetramorium. But there are many species I have never seen before.

I found a Lasius aphidicola queen in a Tetramorium nest.

#22 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted November 22 2018 - 6:36 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

I don't understand. Tetramorium thrive in areas that native ants aren't usually at. They are not displacing native species. They are just living in places where others would fail.

#23 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted December 18 2018 - 3:49 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
I still have strong feelings against them, they removed all of the myrmica, brachymyrmex, and dolichoderus(I found only one worker!) in my yard.
Spoiler

#24 Offline gcsnelling - Posted December 18 2018 - 4:37 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

I don't understand. Tetramorium thrive in areas that native ants aren't usually at. They are not displacing native species. They are just living in places where others would fail.

The problem is that they are in environments which are severely degraded, thereby eliminating the native species. As the area recovers to even a small degree the Tetramorium which have already established a foothold prevent the native species from re establishing themselves. No matter how you slice it non native invasive species do no good for the environment.

Edited by gcsnelling, December 18 2018 - 4:38 PM.

• AnthonyP163, Skwiggledork and ANTdrew like this

#25 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 19 2018 - 5:06 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Fill your yard with native plants, and native fauna will follow. If you plant it, they will come. When I moved to my house, which is in a highly urban area, there was turf and four crap boxwoods from Home Depot. Over the last six years, I've filled it up with every kind of native plant I can, especially so called 'weedy' tough plants that can handle my clay soil. It's a jungle now that brings in all kinds of wildlife from foxes, flying squirrels, and owls on down to lowly ants. I've also filled it up with lots of dead wood in the form of log piles and a big maple snag that's home now to a huge Crematogaster colony. This doesn't have to be an expensive project. My favorite plants are the ones I've propagated from locally gathered seeds. Now is the perfect time to propagate North American native seeds. Just sprinkle them in pots and leave them outside for the cold stratification they need for germination. Mother nature will do the rest!

Invasive species like Tetramorium thrive in part because our urban landscapes are filled with Eurasian weeds and ornamentals that make it just like home for them. Filling green spaces with natives can help tip the scales in favor of indigenous wildlife.

Edited by ANTdrew, December 19 2018 - 5:12 AM.

• gcsnelling and AnthonyP163 like this

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tetramorium, tetramorium eradication

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users