• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New - The Micro Liquid Feeder from byFormica

42 replies to this topic

#41 Offline skocko76 - Posted Yesterday, 6:25 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia
I've had similar experience, especially if placed on wood or stone. The liquid would syphon out. I learned I wasn't screwing the cap all the way in. Needs to be well aligned and screwed pretty tight. Also avoid placing on porous surfaces.

#42 Offline drtrmiller - Posted Yesterday, 7:18 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

I got some of them a little while ago, but no matter what liquid I put in it leaks out.

Please ensure you're filling the glass vial with liquid, screwing the vial onto the plastic base, and then placing on a non-absorbent surface. There is no need to screw it on tightly—just enough that it can't be screwed down further. If you attempt to screw it on too tightly, the plastic could crack.

Also, please test multiple feeders to determine how many are possibly defective. It is very rare for even one to be defective, but it could possibly happen. However, if several or all of them are leaking, the most likely explanation is that they're not being used properly.

When filled with liquid and screwed together, they shouldn't leak a drop. It should be that simple.

If you continue to have further issues or concerns, please contact me privately via PM here, at www.facebook.com/byFormica, or by email (support@byformica dot com).

Edited by drtrmiller, Yesterday, 7:22 AM.

#43 Offline Serafine - Posted Yesterday, 10:47 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationGermany

You need to regularly replace the contents of the feeder (at least once a week if it's hot).

These feeders are gravity-assisted feeders, if you leave the sugary liquid in there long enough that it starts fermentation processes the emerging gas bubbles will rise up to the top of the bottle and push out the liquid. Specifically do NOT use honey or even worse dilluted honey water with these feeders during hot seasons, honey water starts fermentation within days, resulting in the feeder starting to leak.

Diluted maple syrup and diluted invert sugar syrup work great, regular sugar water is kinda okayish and everything that contains honey should be avoided.

p.s. Why was there no announcement that the feeders are available on amazon again? I almost missed it.

Edited by Serafine, Yesterday, 10:50 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Join the antkeeping discord chat! & reddit - r/antkeeping

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users