• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

Novomessor Cockerelli Anttics

143 replies to this topic

#141 Offline nurbs - Posted April 16 2019 - 11:12 AM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Keep you foods varied but consistent. Like don't one day out of the blue throw in a boiled egg. Maybe avoid random human foods. I usually rotate between mealworms -> crickets -> crushed sunflower seeds -> fruit flies.

And of course always have water and nectar available.

• Ant_Dude2908 and sirjordanncurtis like this

Instagram:

nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Camponotus us-ca02

http://www.formicult...onotus-us-ca02/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums

http://www.formicult...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup

http://www.formicult...bloodworm-soup/

#142 Offline BeginnerAntKeeper - Posted April 16 2019 - 9:11 PM

BeginnerAntKeeper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Maybe the colony scent of the attacked workers was washed off or replaced by another scent(maybe from the formicarium?) and thus the colony thinks they are outside ants and enemies and thus Attack them.

#143 Offline anttics - Posted April 17 2019 - 8:04 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
Well the fight stoped. I counted only 4 dead ants. Many more are missing limbs. I will try not to feed them human food. There was an explosion in eggs. they have tons of eggs. Like thousands. I'm sure most are for feeding brood and queen. If half are fertilized eggs. 500 worker are coming soon. I think they are killing the old ants. If it was due to food or other factors. Then I should see light color workers being killed as well. Not a single young worker is ever attacked.

#144 Offline BeginnerAntKeeper - Posted April 17 2019 - 9:54 PM

BeginnerAntKeeper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Maybe the colony scent of the attacked workers was washed off or replaced by another scent(maybe from the formicarium?) and thus the colony thinks they are outside ants and enemies and thus Attack them.

Adding to this, perhaps the reason why only the older workers are attacked is because the scent is stable in the nest but outside it is washed off. As younger workers tend to stay in the nest while older workers forage, only the older workers would have their scent wiped/replaced and thus believed to be enemies and attacked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users