• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The Pogonomyrmex that can't catch a break...

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted January 13 2015 - 7:38 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I had one small P. rugosus colony that was only a queen with three workers I was pretty worried about. I had moved them over and over, probably stressing them out even more, until I got them in a talus where they seemed happy and laid some eggs. Tonight, I come home to see that not only are Argentine ants active already, but they had somehow got in the lid and was full on attacking the Pogonomyrmex.

Lost one worker and the egg obviously, so I moved the queen and two remaining workers into a test tube. The queen is already tugging at the cotton. Any way to make them feel comfortable and hopefully survive this final straw? I already have them covered up and under a heat lamp.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline dean_k - Posted January 13 2015 - 7:40 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

How did they get past the lid? Have you inspected the lid?

#3 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 13 2015 - 7:40 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Put them back in the Talus, and put the talus into a bin sitting in a larger bin that has a moat of about 1/2 inch deep water.

#4 Offline Foogoo - Posted January 13 2015 - 7:49 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

The lids don't always fit perfectly especially when rotated, this one I left loose so I wouldn't have to startle them everytime I open it. I had no idea there was a gap though, much less big enough for Argentines to get in.

Good idea, I'm drying the talus out since I had to flood the invaders out, so hopefully I'll move them back tomorrow.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#5 Offline dean_k - Posted January 13 2015 - 8:03 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

So, in other words, you have ant infestation at home?

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 13 2015 - 10:46 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Argentine ants are the worst.  They invaded all my colonies last summer, and I lost a few colonies completely.

Many ants infesting houses will exploit any imperfection in formicaria to compete with (raid and kill) your captive ants, which is why I place Fluon on the outside of my nests, when possible, as well as the inside.

• James C. Trager likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#7 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 14 2015 - 12:35 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Funny enough, in my particular location...Argentine ants suck at surviving anywhere but right by the river. Some type of Tetramorium species dominate a few locations inside the apartment complex. Brachymyrmex patagonicus dominate around my particular apartment unit and are all over. Solenopsis amblychila have a couple colonies. Up the river on top of a concrete platform with sand piled on it, Pogonomyrmex survive amidst hundreds of thousands or millions of Argentine ants all around them...Argentine ants can't even beat them at all.

Even by the river, Solenopsis invicta are very quickly spreading and taking over. So, Argentine ants will eventually lose their dominate area of control to the S. invicta.

That, and sadly Pheidole megacephala that my ex-friend threw out have colonies scattered around my unit. They have just started making lines up a tree too, so another few months and they'll dominate. They pretty much have a food source of sap and whatever else they get up trees. I told the apartment manager, but all they said is they only spray once a year due to people's allergies and pets. Or if people complain about them being inside their unit.

Its just funny, in my particular area...Argentine ants are incredibly weak. Can't beat any ant they come across, and actually, are rather non-aggressive toward even Pogonomyrmex. They tend to be beat back most of the time or have limited numbers. Except like I said, by the river where there are millions...that won't last though.

Maybe in my area, the Argentine ants are the peaceful variety. Because there is one Pogonomyrmex colony (over 10,000 in numbers...its a full mature colony), right next to hundreds of thousands of Argentine ants. Argentine ants leave them alone. No skirmishes or anything, they just ignore the Pogonomyrmex. They ignore Solenopsis invicta colonies too. But, they are like that all over my particular area of Irvine.

Edited by Vendayn, January 14 2015 - 12:37 AM.

#8 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 14 2015 - 12:39 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

One thing I did notice about the variety of Argentine ants I have. Down by the river, toward a bridge...they seem to actually fight each other. I dunno what to call it, it isn't fighting like I see between Fire ants or anything. But, they'll grab each other? I guess? But, I commonly see tons of dead Argentine ants and a mass of ants in various places like they have some kind of...boring and actionless...battle happening with dead Argentine ants around. So, maybe there are a lot of colonies fighting each other in my area, so the native and other ants are ignored?

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 14 2015 - 1:03 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Man that sucks. I'm lucky that for some reason we don't seem to have any of them in my apartment complex that I have seen. Strangly, my place has only been invaded by S. molesta, Pheidole moerens, hypoponera (one scout), and Tapinoma sessile (accidentally brought them there myself), and right outside my door I have a lot of Cardiocondyla also. :thinking:

#10 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 14 2015 - 1:12 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Man that sucks. I'm lucky that for some reason we don't seem to have any of them in my apartment complex that I have seen. Strangly, my place has only been invaded by S. molesta, Pheidole moerens, hypoponera (one scout), and Tapinoma sessile (accidentally brought them there myself), and right outside my door I have a lot of Cardiocondyla also. :thinking:

I noticed there are a lot more native ants in Costa Mesa than anywhere else I've personally been close to the coast (except for Torrey Pines State Beach down in San Diego) in Southern California. But for urban, non-protected areas...I see tons of Pogonomyrmex, Forelius pruinosus/mccooki and all kinds of things there. Not many areas have Argentine ants there. But, things are changing in my apartment complex too (just a 15 minute drive from Costa Mesa)...other ants are taking over Argentine ants or holding them back.

I think that might coincide with native ants maybe learning how to fight Argentine ants (Solenopsis xyloni have been known to do that now) and drive them off. AND the mass die off of Argentine ants in various areas.

Edited by Vendayn, January 14 2015 - 1:13 AM.

#11 Offline Alza - Posted January 14 2015 - 7:06 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

In my location, there are argentine ants, but they don't dominate anything besides my backyard... And for your Rugi's, i recommend feeding them more. c: With my californicus, when it was stressed, I gave them a full cricket, and for two days it ate it, then started laying eggs again. 

#12 Offline Foogoo - Posted January 14 2015 - 12:51 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

In my location, there are argentine ants, but they don't dominate anything besides my backyard... And for your Rugi's, i recommend feeding them more. c: With my californicus, when it was stressed, I gave them a full cricket, and for two days it ate it, then started laying eggs again.

Consider yourself lucky, no matter where I lived around this area, I remember always having to fight Argentines every summer from invading the house. I wish I had some other species so I could catch them. Saw at least three queens last night, but had zero interest to do anything but murder them.

How do you feed your crickets? I've been feeding them seeds, aqua gel and fruit flies and they don't seem interested in any of them.

#13 Offline dean_k - Posted January 14 2015 - 12:56 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

You can just drop the whole thing but, given the size of your colony, I'd just give them the gaster.

Given the stress levels, you can't blame them for not having the mood to eat...

#14 Offline LAnt - Posted January 14 2015 - 3:46 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
You mean abdomen.

#15 Offline Foogoo - Posted January 14 2015 - 4:26 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

I'm going pick some crickets up tonight. How do you feed them? I'm thinking of just tossing them in the freezer until they go to cricket heaven.

EDIT: Is anyone local interested in keeping these [censored]? Looks like they're trying to colonize my trashcan now. I might try to catch the queen before I release my murderous rage upon them.

Edited by Foogoo, January 14 2015 - 6:16 PM.

#16 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 14 2015 - 6:22 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Funny enough, in my particular location...Argentine ants suck at surviving anywhere but right by the river. Some type of Tetramorium species dominate a few locations inside the apartment complex. Brachymyrmex patagonicus dominate around my particular apartment unit and are all over. Solenopsis amblychila have a couple colonies. Up the river on top of a concrete platform with sand piled on it, Pogonomyrmex survive amidst hundreds of thousands or millions of Argentine ants all around them...Argentine ants can't even beat them at all.

Tetramorium and Solenopsis amblichilla. Please tell me where this place is! :o

#17 Offline Foogoo - Posted January 14 2015 - 6:36 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Tetramorium and Solenopsis amblichilla. Please tell me where this place is! :o

Ditto, Tetramorium is on my list!

I caught what appears to be two queens and a few workers with each. Hopefully somebody local wants them or it'd be a waste...

#18 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 14 2015 - 6:47 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

What species/when did you catch these?

#19 Offline Foogoo - Posted January 14 2015 - 7:37 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

What species/when did you catch these?

I'm assuming Linepithema humile and just tonight. They must be coming out of diapause since it warmed up lately and looking for somewhere to settle because they're congregating under whatever they can find, queens and all, and setting up base camp. I murdered a few queens last night and caught these two tonight before I disposed of the rest.

EDIT: Actually, I'm wondering if I just caught a few drones... anyway to tell drones from queens? IIRC, L. humile colonies can have more than one queen, right?

Edited by Foogoo, January 14 2015 - 8:37 PM.

#20 Offline LAnt - Posted January 14 2015 - 9:00 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
What makes you think its a drone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users