• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ontario Anting Thread

• Please log in to reply
460 replies to this topic

#161 Offline Penguin - Posted July 20 2018 - 1:05 PM

Penguin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

My first C. novaeboracensis queen just got her first worker! :yahoo:  The 2nd queen has several small larvae and one big larvae, since she didn't lay for about a month after the 1st, I think that's good progress. :)  All of my P. imparis colonies have workers and the 2 queen one has had them for 3 weeks and they haven't killed eachother, I hope they don't kill eachother but its always a possibility. 

Edit: Caught them on the 25th of May so about 2 months to go from egg to worker since the 1st queen laid within the first week of captivity.

Edited by Penguin, July 20 2018 - 1:19 PM.

• Lazarus and rbarreto like this

I'm here to learn, mostly. 

:hi:

#162 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 20 2018 - 7:13 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Crematogaster fly in August and September.
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#163 Offline LearningAntz - Posted July 21 2018 - 4:36 PM

LearningAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSherwood Park, AB (Canada)
Wow is it difficult to start colonies with Lasius subumbratus. I’m left with two colonies only. Anyway found some Formica of the fusca-group today. I assume it’d be similar for Ontario and queens can be found today.

#164 Offline rbarreto - Posted July 23 2018 - 4:51 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Witnessed a Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony moving nests yesterday. I watched for a little bit and then came back periodically to check on them, they did not stop moving for over an hour! The colony must have had over 70 000 members. I even managed to see the queen at one point.

• Lazarus and Penguin like this

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#165 Offline Nare - Posted July 23 2018 - 4:07 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

I saw a Formica queen mating today, I suspect there will be more flights tommorow. In Toronto btw.

#166 Offline Lazarus - Posted July 25 2018 - 4:01 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

OK technically not Ontario but I caught another queen visiting Montreal last weekend:

http://www.formicult...018/#entry98273

That makes 3 queens I've found while visiting that city. Will be in Toronto this coming weekend so  ...   :)

My online ant spreadsheet

#167 Offline Lazarus - Posted July 26 2018 - 4:36 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Found another this evening of what I suspect is the same Formica earlier in thread.

Created a new ID request just in case there is something different I'm not seeing:

http://www.formicult...a-15-july-2018/

#168 Offline Penguin - Posted July 28 2018 - 4:13 PM

Penguin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I found a beetle under a smaller rock in my backyard and then caught and released it after these photos. I don't need an ID as I don't really care what it is I just thought it was interesting like the wasp nest last time I posted images. It's about 5 cm.

VAX5vTK.jpg

W3htQBV.jpg

MPcg3wa.jpg

Edited by Penguin, July 28 2018 - 4:13 PM.

• rbarreto likes this

#169 Offline rbarreto - Posted August 2 2018 - 4:31 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Anyone know any good/reliable ant keeping companies in Canada? I ordered some things from Tarheelants but the import tax punched a hole right through my wallet. I'm specifically looking for larger formicaria.

Check our my store here!

#170 Offline Nare - Posted August 2 2018 - 4:38 AM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Anyone know any good/reliable ant keeping companies in Canada? I ordered some things from Tarheelants but the import tax punched a hole right through my wallet. I'm specifically looking for larger formicaria.

Frankly, you aren't going to find anything cheap. I'd say antscanada, because it's a Canadian company, but they ship from America, and all of their formicaria are pretty pricey. You can find some nice formicaria internationally, but unfortunately, I don't think there's a way around that import tax.

• Lazarus likes this

#171 Offline Lazarus - Posted August 2 2018 - 5:01 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Ditto what Nare said about AntsCanada. I reluctantly ordered a hybrid nest as a Christmas gift for my son last year. Having to deal with the exchange rate was bad enough but I was shocked at how exorbitant their shipping rates were, but went for it anyway. To make matters worse I was then charged duties when I picked it up at the post office.

I've been building a few of my own and learning a few things along the way. While it is time consuming, I do find it fun. Lots of videos of course but I modify directions and plans to suit my tastes and needs.

I plan on making another this long weekend.

#172 Offline rbarreto - Posted August 2 2018 - 10:50 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Frankly, you aren't going to find anything cheap. I'd say antscanada, because it's a Canadian company, but they ship from America, and all of their formicaria are pretty pricey. You can find some nice formicaria internationally, but unfortunately, I don't think there's a way around that import tax.

I'm trying to avoid importing. There have to be some Canadian companies that sell formicaria.

I've been building a few of my own and learning a few things along the way. While it is time consuming, I do find it fun. Lots of videos of course but I modify directions and plans to suit my tastes and needs.

I plan on making another this long weekend.

I would love to see pictures!

Check our my store here!

#173 Offline rbarreto - Posted August 2 2018 - 11:37 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

ALSO!!! I found a dead Crematogaster sp. alate and Lasius interjectus are going to fly/have flown today!!!

Edited by rbarreto, August 2 2018 - 11:37 AM.

Check our my store here!

#174 Offline AntsBC - Posted August 2 2018 - 12:17 PM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

I know a guy that has recently started a ant keeping retail business. He is growing fast and has pretty good prices. Here's his profile on formiculture and his website if you are interested.

• rbarreto and Nare like this

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Formica planipilis (Parasitic sp.)

Instagram // YouTube 

#175 Offline Penguin - Posted August 2 2018 - 12:56 PM

Penguin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Smaller, black, likely Crematogaster sp flight today when I was in Richmond Hill

#176 Offline Lazarus - Posted August 2 2018 - 4:24 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Have you checked out AntNational? Canadian and have a decent presence of Facebook.  Never bought any of the stuff so I can't vouch personally.:

https://www.antsnational.com/

You can see some of my creations in my Gallery:

http://www.formicult...r/2335-lazarus/

I knew there would be flights today due to the recent rain followed by this hot weather. Went out at lunch and found another Formica (like those both you and I have found the last few weeks and posted before. Still no 100% consensus on what they are...). When I came home from work I took another LONG walk but no luck. A crematogaster would be awesome.

Edited by Lazarus, August 3 2018 - 3:48 AM.

• rbarreto likes this

#177 Offline rbarreto - Posted August 7 2018 - 9:38 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

So Crematogaster is one of my most wanted species, today I managed to find another alate. This one was actually alive, but her gaster had been ripped right off.......... This species is just teasing me :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:.

Check our my store here!

#178 Offline Kojeware - Posted August 7 2018 - 12:17 PM

Kojeware

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationWaterloo, Ontario
I was in Sudbury the last few days, and my girlfriend and I managed to stumble across a huge crematogaster flight. I probably ended up catching near 30 dealates

Keeper of:

Aphaenogaster picea

Prenolepis imparis

Ponera pennsylvanica

Lasius umbratus

Solenposis molesta

#179 Offline Kojeware - Posted August 7 2018 - 2:21 PM

Kojeware

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationWaterloo, Ontario
Wow, Sudbury seems to be the place to be today! Crematogaster flight this morning, followed by a lasius fly this evening!

Keeper of:

Aphaenogaster picea

Prenolepis imparis

Ponera pennsylvanica

Lasius umbratus

Solenposis molesta

#180 Offline Lazarus - Posted August 7 2018 - 4:50 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

After all the rain the other night coming right off a heatwave I suspect that there were many flights today. But I was just to busy and could not even find the time for a short walk to hunt. Hopefully tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users