• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ottawa, Ontario Canada - 15 July 2018

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lazarus - Posted July 15 2018 - 9:19 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

Here is a queen that was found Today. I suspect Formica (Fusca?), but really don't know

1. Location of collection: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
2. Date of collection: 15 July 2018
3. Habitat of collection: City Sidewalk of well treed neighborhood
4. Length: 8.5mm (tip of gaster to head)
5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture: All black with reddish joints
6. Distinguishing characteristics: None

Unknown species - F. Fusca?

My online ant spreadsheet

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 15 2018 - 10:49 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

We'll need to see how much silvery hair she has on her gaster, which is best viewed a little from the side and with good lighting. A photograph of the front of the head will also be helpful.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline Lazarus - Posted July 15 2018 - 4:23 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Hard to get a picture as requested. Does this picture help? Not a good one I know.

Did not notice any silvery (or otherwise) hair on gaster. (The fuzz in picture is from cotton)

Is that info needed to determine if it is a Formica or just whether it is a Fusca (or something else)?

Went out in the afternoon and found four more of these.At least I think they are the same. I have to sit in good light and give them all a good look to see if they are in fact the same species.

Unknown Side view

Edited by Lazarus, July 15 2018 - 4:25 PM.

#4 Offline Lazarus - Posted July 16 2018 - 6:05 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Here is another picture that hopefully helps.

Formica?

Formica Fusca?

Ant ID required

#5 Offline Zxirl - Posted July 19 2018 - 7:13 PM

Zxirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Yes, it is Formica sp. for sure. It does look similar to F. fusca. However, F. fusca is not believed to be found in North America per Article p515-529 .

A lateral (side-shot) of her gaster is helpful for identifying specific species of Formica in the fusca grouping.
b9d95416efde7ff7db47619b9bf41c92.png

Edited by Zxirl, July 19 2018 - 7:15 PM.

Spoiler

#6 Offline Lazarus - Posted August 15 2018 - 8:28 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Just an update that the first 5 queens of this Formica Spp. all now have brood! 3 More test tubes (2 which were caught later) have yet to eclose.

• rbarreto likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users