• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ontario Anting Thread

• Please log in to reply
460 replies to this topic

#201 Offline rbarreto - Posted August 23 2018 - 12:50 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
Found an Aphaenogaster queen today. I'm not sure what species but I'm leaning towards fulva or rudis. I will find out once I get a better look at her.

Edited by rbarreto, August 23 2018 - 12:51 PM.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#202 Offline Ikerrilove - Posted August 23 2018 - 2:14 PM

Ikerrilove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationEastern Ontario, Canada

Saw 2 species getting ready to fly tonight. One on the rocky beach and another in a clearing on the edge of the forest and those were orange. Sorry I can't give more info but ya they're flying in eastern ontario

#203 Offline rbarreto - Posted August 24 2018 - 11:38 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Saw the largest flight I've ever seen, Lasius aphidicola everywhere, thousands of dead male alates.

Also among the chaos I found a Formica sp. alate?? 

Check our my store here!

#204 Offline Ikerrilove - Posted August 24 2018 - 5:33 PM

Ikerrilove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Tons of flying ants here this evening. I need better pictures of one I found. She was so orange she was almost red and her gaster seemed longer then others I've seen so far this year. I was catching another species queen and there she was on the patio stones with no wings.

My guess for the ones that were practically landing on me tonight is some kind of Laisius lawn dweller. I got about 5 of them tonight and left the rest to do their thing.

• rbarreto likes this

#205 Offline rbarreto - Posted August 25 2018 - 6:39 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Tons of flying ants here this evening. I need better pictures of one I found. She was so orange she was almost red and her gaster seemed longer then others I've seen so far this year. I was catching another species queen and there she was on the patio stones with no wings.

My guess for the ones that were practically landing on me tonight is some kind of Laisius lawn dweller. I got about 5 of them tonight and left the rest to do their thing.

I'm just going to take a wild guess and say that the orange queen is lasius latipes.
Also, Canadian anter helped me determine that the really late flying Formica sp. queen I found yesterday is either neogagates or lasioides. I think the way to tell these two species appart is by the hairs on the scapes. This queen doesn't appear to have any which leads me to believe she is Formica neogagates.

Edited by rbarreto, August 25 2018 - 6:47 AM.

• Ikerrilove likes this

Check our my store here!

#206 Offline Ikerrilove - Posted August 29 2018 - 4:59 AM

Ikerrilove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

I can't believe the number of Crematogaster queens that are around right now. They're all over the deck upstairs and the patio stones. I counted 7 on the deck all at the same time. 

Must be a healthy population around here to produce so many :) 

#207 Offline Penguin - Posted September 2 2018 - 4:36 PM

Penguin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I think there was a wasp or bee nuptial flight today, only saw them outside my house for some reason... here are some pics

HXqf0cf.jpg

Sorry this ones quite blurry, found it on the side of a brick on my house

xcHTPTn.jpg

This one is also quite blurry

7of61ab.jpg

9eos906.jpg

I saw about 5 of these in total, I apologize for the poor image quality, I was rushing as I wanted to release them as soon as possible 

Edited by Penguin, September 4 2018 - 8:53 AM.

• dermy and Nare like this

I'm here to learn, mostly. 

:hi:

#208 Offline Lazarus - Posted September 3 2018 - 3:01 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

Just found what I'm quite certain is a Crematogaster Cerasi queen. Tried to take pics but they are too blurry to bother uploading so I'll try again tomorrow.

• Ikerrilove likes this

My online ant spreadsheet

#209 Offline Canadian anter - Posted September 3 2018 - 6:23 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Lasius have been flying in small numbers for days along with the other fall species

• Ikerrilove likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#210 Offline dermy - Posted September 3 2018 - 9:32 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I think there was a wasp or bee nuptial flight today, only saw them outside my house for some reason... here are some pics

9eos906.jpg

I saw about 5 of these girls in total, I apologize for the poor image quality, I was rushing as I wanted to release them as soon as possible 

Looks like [not 100% sure] a Dolichovespula maculata male judging by the curling on the antenna. It was either casted out because male wasps like ants are worthless or maybe [not 100% sure how Dolichovespula mate] looking for another nest to mate with a queen that will hibernate and be the queens/nest builders of next year.

• Penguin and Ikerrilove like this

#211 Offline Ikerrilove - Posted September 4 2018 - 4:42 AM

Ikerrilove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Still seeing tons of Crematogaster queens here. Around 1pm they're all over the deck on the river side of the house. I don't think they care as much about flying after rain as other ants. Afternoons I find them so long as it's not freezing out. 

• Lazarus likes this

#212 Offline rbarreto - Posted September 4 2018 - 11:19 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
Lasius aphidicola flight today. Caught a bunch. Now I just need to find a ton of host workers

Check our my store here!

#213 Offline Ikerrilove - Posted September 17 2018 - 4:13 AM

Ikerrilove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

I've seen a couple flights the last few days but I think they were all social parasites. 

I did see another Crematogaster flight but not the flood of queens around the house I saw before.

Anything else fly this time of year or are they mostly social parasites on the hunt for new colonies to invade? 

#214 Offline Lazarus - Posted September 17 2018 - 6:02 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

I found one on labour day last week but she already died (another that got caught up in the cotton at the front of the test tube. :( )

Then I found this big one on Sunday. Help with the ID would be appreciated:

http://www.formicult...ne/#entry101997

#215 Offline Penguin - Posted October 9 2018 - 11:57 AM

Penguin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I think I found the source of the males from earlier (s), I can't believe nobody in my family noticed this (especially the one who walks by this tree everyday)

everything else aside here are pictures of a (likely) bald faced hornet nest (3 comb layers!) on the sidewalk and what remains in the tree!

J3s4m4O.jpgjSlGAG6.jpgauiAqWG.jpgMS9ookr.jpg

P.S. This topic has been quiet for a while, I hope this was a good reason to bring it back. I also saw some parasitic Lasius today.

Edited by Penguin, October 9 2018 - 12:00 PM.

• Amazant likes this

I'm here to learn, mostly. 

:hi:

#216 Offline Nare - Posted October 9 2018 - 2:52 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Lasius claviger spotted today, probably lots of other species going out for their final flights too - keep an eye out for Crematogaster - I saw a whole ton of workers milling around, but no signs of alates. Toronto area by the way, I'm not sure if other parts of the province were struck by this warm day.

#217 Offline rbarreto - Posted April 17 2019 - 5:13 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Well anting season is almost here, what species are you guys looking for? I'm hoping to find parasitic Formica, Camponotus americanus, and Aphaenogaster tennesseensis.

Check our my store here!

#218 Offline Lazarus - Posted April 18 2019 - 9:30 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Well anting season is almost here, what species are you guys looking for? I'm hoping to find parasitic Formica, Camponotus americanus, and Aphaenogaster tennesseensis.

Same like last year. Hoping to get Prenolepis Imparis and Crematogaster. I caught a Crematogaster at the tail end of last summer but unfortunately she did not make it through hibernation. One of two new queens I lost.

Give a shout out if and when you see any scurring around. Should be soon I hope.

• rbarreto likes this

#219 Offline rbarreto - Posted April 18 2019 - 10:24 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Same like last year. Hoping to get Prenolepis Imparis and Crematogaster. I caught a Crematogaster at the tail end of last summer but unfortunately she did not make it through hibernation. One of two new queens I lost.

Give a shout out if and when you see any scurring around. Should be soon I hope.

Unfortunately, I don't think P. imparis make it this far north. :( 

I think they make it up to the northernmost point of lake Ontario and can survive there because of the more temperate climate.

If they are present here than they must be very rare because I haven't found them.

Check our my store here!

#220 Offline Lazarus - Posted April 18 2019 - 11:17 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Unfortunately, I don't think P. imparis make it this far north. :(

I think they make it up to the northernmost point of lake Ontario and can survive there because of the more temperate climate.

If they are present here than they must be very rare because I haven't found them.

When I consult Antmaps.org and select P. Imparis, the recorded sightings do not include Ottawa. But they have been found as north as Manitoulin Island and Sault Ste. Marie so technically just a tad farther north than here which does make me hopeful. But the lake effect in those areas just might be enough of climate change for them to survive there but not here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users