• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pinning Ants For Viewing Under Microscope?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 4 2015 - 2:30 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Just took this close up picture of how I position specimens before pin them up.

med_gallery_2_137_673695.jpg

#22 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 4 2015 - 9:27 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I just use fast drying CA glue. Which stage did you get?

Tip: Cheap glue (since I rarely have a bottle not dry up after one use anyway).

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#23 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 4 2015 - 9:31 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

well I got some glue from Michaels that has a really good sealing top on it.

#24 Offline Subverted - Posted July 4 2015 - 9:59 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I have been using the same bottle of Gorilla brand super glue for a few months now. It doesnt have a fine applicator tip but its not a problem to just use a toothpick or pin to apply glue where you want it.

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#25 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 5 2015 - 4:50 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Clear nail polish is my glue of choice.

• Gregory2455 likes this

#26 Offline Foogoo - Posted October 21 2015 - 11:50 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Related to microscopy, ImageJ looks like a really useful tool.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#27 Offline NightsWebs - Posted October 21 2015 - 8:31 PM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Thanks everyone this was a very educational post!  I don't know if I will actually pin specimens but I definitely want to start collecting and labeling specimens. 

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#28 Offline klawfran3 - Posted October 21 2015 - 8:49 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

I use stuff specifically made for mounting insects for my collection. Since I go to the Lorquin Entomological Society meetings (Anyone in So Cal should totally join), which are at the bioquip warehouse, I can just buy what I need when I go and have access to everything without having to pay for shipping. The product I use is called "Shellac gel" and cost like $4 for a small vial, but a little goes a long way. The stuff is really sticky, so make sure you only use a little bit on the tip, since too much can obscure vital identifying characteristics.

Pinning is a huge hobby for me. Actually just a couple hours ago today I signed off on a package all the way from Vietnam full of unmounted bugs (~50) with collection info. They're rehydrating right now, and when they're flexible I pin them and mount them. I sell them too, when I have extras. To me it's a relaxing hobby.

Edited by klawfran3, October 21 2015 - 8:53 PM.

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#29 Offline JakobS - Posted October 28 2015 - 12:26 PM

JakobS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationState College PA

I find shellac to be the easiest and most forgiving if you initially point the ant imperfectly. Shellac takes about five minutes or so to dry which allows you to make slight adjustments to straighten the ant if it leans to one side or the other. If it does dry, and you need to reposition, or remove it from the point to observe a small trait hidden by the point or shellac, you can easily do so by soaking it in 70% alcohol, which would not harm the specimen compared to acetone which would be needed for super glue or nail polish. Here is a great video from the Smithsonian on how to make shellac glue for pointing purposes, please note that you can replace a hot plate for a double boiler made with a pot on a stove.   

The point punches are pricey, but if you are going to do a lot of pointing they are a joy to have! 

Edited by JakobS, October 28 2015 - 12:30 PM.

• ponerinecat likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users