• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Advice on moving ants into formicarium?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Alacom - Posted May 11 2020 - 2:26 PM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
So I’ve had this Liometopum occidentale colony for a while, and they’ve been growing well thanks to a steady supply of crickets I’ve been giving them. I put their test tube inside of the new formicarium I made with an AAC nest during their hibernation cycle, and I was hoping that they’d eventually move into it. When they got more active they started checking out the nest, and I hydrated it some for them and they were like “cool dude I’ll bring the fam over”. I hydrated it a bit more and next thing you know they refuse to go in the AAC nest and use it as a graveyard (I think because every now and then there’s a new dead ant in there). Their test tube is quite full of brood and workers. Any advice?

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 11 2020 - 3:11 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Some ants gets stubbornly attached to their tube, especially if the colony was founded in it. I’m not sure how sensitive this species is, but you may just need to dump them out of the tube and into the formicarium. Or if they’re doing well in the tube, just leave them in it. Trust their judgement.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Zeiss - Posted May 11 2020 - 3:18 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I like the dumping method.

• AntsDakota likes this

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 11 2020 - 3:57 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I like the dumping method.

Me too.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted May 11 2020 - 5:46 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Really? But isn’t that very disruptive to the ants? It is the easiest way though.

#Ants4Life

#6 Offline Serafine - Posted May 11 2020 - 6:09 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Patience. They will move when the time is right for them.

• ANTdrew likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#7 Offline Alacom - Posted May 11 2020 - 7:27 PM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Patience. They will move when the time is right for them.

That probably sounds the best since the dumping seems so aggressive. I’m just worried they’ve deemed non-nest worthy and there’s no going back.

#8 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted May 11 2020 - 9:10 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Well, I dunno how sensitive Lios are, but I did once have to do an emergency move of one of my Tetramorium colonies. I think they refused to move into a mini-hearth (I wrote this up somewhere on this forum but don't remember where). They were living in a partitioned test tube with its exit on the side. I connected a connector tube to it, plugged the far end of the long tube, and had to basically do a whack-a-thon to kick the queen and workers and brood out of the deeper compartment, into the outer compartment, and into the side exit, and into the long plastic connector tube. Seriously it was a lot of thwacking. Once I had a good percentage in the tube, I disconnected it, sealed it off, and attached it to a mini-hearth. They moved in very quickly.

I then had to repeat the process a few times to get the rest of the workers and brood out. But they are thriving in the mini-hearth that they didn't want to move into. (So much so I gotta move them again soon.)

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, May 11 2020 - 9:13 PM.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#9 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 12 2020 - 6:36 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Sometimes ants need to be forced, for their own good. They can get so attached to their setup that they would rather die in it than move out. 

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#10 Offline Alacom - Posted May 12 2020 - 3:50 PM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Sometimes ants need to be forced, for their own good. They can get so attached to their setup that they would rather die in it than move out.

Yeah I ended up trying to dump them last night and after they freaked out they got back into their test tube even though I removed the foil, had a light shining on it (for hours), and positioned it at a steep incline propped up against the AAC nest. How far do I need to go?

Edited by Alacom, May 12 2020 - 3:50 PM.

• AntsDakota likes this

#11 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted May 12 2020 - 4:30 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Dump them

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#12 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 12 2020 - 4:38 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Yeah I ended up trying to dump them last night and after they freaked out they got back into their test tube even though I removed the foil, had a light shining on it (for hours), and positioned it at a steep incline propped up against the AAC nest. How far do I need to go?

I would suggest dumping them into the outworld. They'd feel to exposed there, and head for the nest automatically. If the queen and a good portion of the brood is out, they should all move out. Still keep shining the light on their old tube, though, as they may just want to move back in if it's still in the vicinity. Otherwise, you could just keep taping until they're all in there, and you don't have to worry about it. Either way works.

#13 Offline Alacom - Posted May 12 2020 - 7:52 PM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

I would suggest dumping them into the outworld. They'd feel to exposed there, and head for the nest automatically. If the queen and a good portion of the brood is out, they should all move out. Still keep shining the light on their old tube, though, as they may just want to move back in if it's still in the vicinity. Otherwise, you could just keep taping until they're all in there, and you don't have to worry about it. Either way works.

They were previously dumped in the outworld. I was finally able to get them to move into the nest by dumping them again but making sure they all got out this time and removing the test tube from the set up. Mission accomplished.
  • AntsDakota likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users