• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Where to look for Pheidole?

pheidole pheidole bicarinata pheidole pilifera pheidole morrisii pheidole dentata illinois big-headed ants

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 6 2017 - 5:24 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

So, as the title states, I'm (like many ant keepers) on a hunt for Pheidole. Ever since I started ant keeping, I've been wanting them. They are one of my dream species to keep. I know Pheidole queens are elusive, but I still keep looking every fall during their flight season. I also haven't seen them  on the GAN project in my area. Although, by looking, I mostly mean just staring at the ground and occasionally lifting a small rock or brick. Does anyone know any special tips for finding them, or at least what type of habitat they live in? I case you're wondering, the species around here are Pheidole bicarinata, Pheidole dentata, Pheidole pilifera, and Pheidole morrisii. Please help me if you have any info that might be useful! Thanks!

Currently Keeping:

• 1 Brachymyrmex Depilis (Rover Ant)
  • 1 Camponotus nearcticus (Carpenter Ant)
  • 2 Formica subsericea
  • 1 Unidentified Formica species
  • 1 Unidentified Myrmicine genus
  • 1 Unidentified Lasius species
  • 3 Tetramorium sp.E (Pavement Ant)
  • 1 Aphaenogaster sp.
  • 1 Ponera pennsylvanica
  • Various Fish
  • Clea helena (Assassin Snail)
  • 2 Phodopus roborovskii (Roborovski Dwarf Hamster)
  • 5 Felis catus (Domestic Cat)
  • 2 Younger Brothers

#2 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted December 7 2017 - 7:37 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
Pools and blacklight seem to be successful. They usually fly on humid days, but they are very tiny, and you might have missed a few.
  • Mettcollsuss likes this

#3 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 7 2017 - 2:13 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Pools and blacklight seem to be successful. They usually fly on humid days, but they are very tiny, and you might have missed a few.

Illinois is also a fairly elongated state that stretches through many different habitats. Pheidole might not even live in the area of Illinois that I'm in. That's why I'm asking what habitat they live in, so that I might be able to visit the right part of the state.

Edited by Mettcollsuss, December 9 2017 - 4:20 AM.

Currently Keeping:

• 2 Formica subsericea
  • 1 Aphaenogaster sp.
  • 1 Ponera pennsylvanica
  • Various Fish
  • 2 Younger Brothers

#4 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted December 8 2017 - 7:56 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
They can live almost anywhere, I have seen them in the middle of the city in a desert, and there are tons up in the mountains near me. I have also found them in small forests.
  • Mettcollsuss likes this

#5 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 9 2017 - 4:19 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

They can live almost anywhere, I have seen them in the middle of the city in a desert, and there are tons up in the mountains near me. I have also found them in small forests.

True, but I've never seen them here. The only place I've encountered Pheidole was when I was on a trip to North Carolina and saw a foraging trail harvesting a Cheez-It.

Edited by Mettcollsuss, December 9 2017 - 4:19 AM.

Currently Keeping:

• 2 Formica subsericea
  • 1 Aphaenogaster sp.
  • 1 Ponera pennsylvanica
  • Various Fish
  • 2 Younger Brothers

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pheidole, pheidole bicarinata, pheidole pilifera, pheidole morrisii, pheidole dentata, illinois, big-headed ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users