• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Heating

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted October 25 2014 - 1:27 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

What is a way I could heat my things without going and buying a heatpad or lamp.

#2 Offline DesertAntz - Posted October 25 2014 - 2:50 PM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

I use a space heater that I already had to heat up my ants. 

How effective it is compared to other things, I couldn't say. 

The good man is the friend of all living things. - Gandhi 

#3 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted October 25 2014 - 3:36 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I use a space heater that I already had to heat up my ants. 

How effective it is compared to other things, I couldn't say. 

I would not say those are very effective.

#4 Offline dermy - Posted October 25 2014 - 5:29 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

use the warmest room in the house?

#5 Offline Justin - Posted October 25 2014 - 6:57 PM

Justin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

i have a few argentine ant queens, do they need to be under a certain heat temp to produce eggs? it's been almost a week since i caught the first few, no signs of massive reproduction

#6 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 25 2014 - 7:16 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Argentine ants take a while to settle in. They need absolutely nothing special, but it is still a 50-50 chance you will fail, as for some reason they like to die a lot in captivity.

#7 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted October 26 2014 - 1:40 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

use the warmest room in the house?

There really is not any warm room in my house.

#8 Offline DesertAntz - Posted October 26 2014 - 4:58 PM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

Buy a space heater?  :gloat:

The good man is the friend of all living things. - Gandhi 

#9 Offline Mercutia - Posted October 27 2014 - 3:47 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

The room where you keep the water heater should be relatively cozy.

#10 Offline Crystals - Posted October 27 2014 - 6:22 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

What is a way I could heat my things without going and buying a heatpad or lamp.

I have seen many people place their ants on top of electical devices like a satellite box or mini fridge, as those are often a few degrees warmer.

Do you have any electrical device that is always on that might be a bit warmer?

I have to use a 15 watt heat cable - but one cable heats 5-10 colonies if I organize them carefully.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#11 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted October 27 2014 - 3:06 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I will just get a heat pad! :D

#12 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 3 2014 - 3:29 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I will just get a heat pad! :D

I considered this, but is it safe to have a heat pad on for nearly 24/7? Not only if it goes haywire and roasts the ants but also if, you know, it sets my house on fire...

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#13 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted November 3 2014 - 3:32 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I considered this, but is it safe to have a heat pad on for nearly 24/7? Not only if it goes haywire and roasts the ants but also if, you know, it sets my house on fire...

If that starts happening then of course throw it out. :D You can just put the heat pad on a portion of the nest and the ants will choose if it is safe or not.

#14 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 4 2014 - 9:45 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I have heating pads under my cricket bins that are on all the time.

#15 Offline Crystals - Posted November 4 2014 - 10:28 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

You only heat a portion of the nest.  Like reptiles, they will pick the temperature that they like.  Pupae are often in warmer locations than the eggs.

That is why I use a heating cable, I can easily heat just a corner of the nest - and heat quite a few nests at once.

I do have a heating cable under my biggest nest, it barely overs 1/4 of the nest.

Get a decent heating mat, companies often rely on their name brand to show their products are safe.  If they get a bad rap for having their heating mats go into flames, they don't last long.  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#16 Offline Chromerust - Posted November 8 2014 - 5:31 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California
I keep my fire ants in my entertainment center cabinet where the satellite receiver is located. It gets nice and toasty in there. They love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#17 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 10 2014 - 9:40 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

One thing I wanted to mention is that I had a recent catastrophe with regard to heating.

I had a test tube with a dried out water reservoir placed on a slightly warmed surface, but the room was very cool.  

When I added some moist food, the moisture evaporated from the food and condensed on the top—the cold side—of the test tube.  I had an entire colony of ants drown in what was essentially a single drop of water!

The lesson here, is that you should generally attempt to heat the entire formicarium or test tube as evenly as possible to avoid condensation from drowning or causing issues for ants.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#18 Offline Crystals - Posted November 10 2014 - 7:33 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

One thing I wanted to mention is that I had a recent catastrophe with regard to heating.

I had a test tube with a dried out water reservoir placed on a slightly warmed surface, but the room was very cool.  

When I added some moist food, the moisture evaporated from the food and condensed on the top—the cold side—of the test tube.  I had an entire colony of ants drown in what was essentially a single drop of water!

The lesson here, is that you should generally attempt to heat the entire formicarium or test tube as evenly as possible to avoid condensation from drowning or causing issues for ants.

One thing I will add, with most formicariums, if you heat underneath, you will get condensation on the glass.

I only heat the open end of my test tubes to avoid condensation.

I prefer to let the ants choose if they want to be cooler or warmer.

My Colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users