• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2111 replies to this topic

#1381 Offline akaant - Posted September 14 2018 - 8:43 AM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA
Parasitic lasius are flying at this moment.

AKA's Ant adoption.

http://www.formicult...achusetts-only/

Youtube. https://www.youtube....Hbsk2xiarcfGTmw

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Camponotus americanus, castaneus, chromaiodes, novaeboracensis, pennsylvanicus.

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

#1382 Offline fmoreira60 - Posted September 16 2018 - 5:07 AM

fmoreira60

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMass

Crematogaster flew yesterday. Caught a queen. Also lasius umbratus flew yesterday.

#1383 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted September 25 2018 - 3:55 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Just got my formicaria from Tar Heel Ants

AE5FE891 193E 4456 A8C7 8D84AC902DE4

I just need to fill the water towers and move my colonies!

I looked at small open box wine coolers for hibernation but I wanted to see the size of the formicaria first. 

• noebl1 likes this

#1384 Offline noebl1 - Posted September 26 2018 - 8:46 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Nice!!!  My ants are getting close to hibernation for sure.  Camponotus are all larvae or eggs, slowed down development, gasters fat and they are literally doing nothing 99% of the time.  My Lasius are getting pretty idle as well, though I've seen wild colonies forage into October.

Tetramorium are still super active, but they always are until I basically force them into hibernation.  Same with the Aphaenogaster.

#1385 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted September 26 2018 - 8:20 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
Yep, my Camponotus are the same. Most all the workers have fat gasters. Theyā€™re not going after mealworms like they did earlier in the summer but they sure suck up honey. Iā€™m waiting to get blunt tipped needles from THA so I can fill the formicariaā€™s water towers then Iā€™m planning ā€œMoving Dayā€!

All three colonies have 10-15 larvae. One has a pupae in addition. What can I expect to happen to these larvae and pupae? Will they continue to develop and eclose next spring?

Edited by ConcordAntman, September 26 2018 - 8:25 PM.

• noebl1 likes this

#1386 Offline noebl1 - Posted September 27 2018 - 11:49 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

I would wait for any pupae to eclose before hibernation as they'll likely die.  If already pupae, they shouldn't be too long before they eclose.

• ConcordAntman likes this

#1387 Offline noebl1 - Posted October 8 2018 - 11:27 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

I've been seeing small Lasius flights still when temps are over 70F.  Supposed to be warm tomorrow and Wed, so keep an eye out!

• ctantkeeper and Nathant2131 like this

#1388 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted October 20 2018 - 5:57 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
It has really cooled off, fall is definitely in the air. I successfully moved my colonies into my formicaria and plan to hibernate them by the end of the month. I havenā€™t fed them protein for about two weeks and have been alternating between hummingbird nectar and honey 2-3 times/week. Since the move, the colonies have had little activity. Only one or two foragers. They mostly gather with the brood piles near the water towers or in a chamber.

gallery_3143_1270_1460773.jpg

gallery_3143_1270_201519.jpg

gallery_3143_1270_2278028.jpg

Noob question here. Should I worry or just hibernate the colonies now?

#1389 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted October 24 2018 - 5:48 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
Minimal activity in my nests. Planning to hibernate them in a few days. Been alternating feeding between hummingbird nectar, honey, and just tried maple syrup. I put a thermometer in my basement and it only got down to 60. l suppose thatā€™s good for our pipes but too hot for my ants! I just ordered this:
gallery_3143_1270_178564.jpeg

Itā€™s temperature adjustable down to 46 degrees. Weā€™ll see how it goes...

#1390 Offline noebl1 - Posted October 24 2018 - 5:53 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

@ConcordAntman I've moved all my colonies except a couple misc stragglers into either the basement (60F) to slow them down/encourage hibernation or into the wine cooler (54F) as they were ready.  I am looking to put them all into the wine cooler this week and starting dropping the temp.  46F should be absolutely fine for hibernating and that's indeed what I do.

• ConcordAntman likes this

#1391 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted October 24 2018 - 11:48 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
When I check my colonies, they seem to have already slowed down. Thereā€™s not a lot a lot of activity and their gasters arenā€™t quite as fat as they were a few weeks ago. How quickly do you drop the temperature from 60 to 46? Ten degrees every 2 weeks? Also, since honey has a pretty long shelf life, I was thinking a generous drop of honey in a feeding dish every 2 weeks should suffice. Sound reasonable? Thanks for the update!

#1392 Offline noebl1 - Posted October 24 2018 - 1:17 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Over a week should be fine. TBH I've dropped them in at 46F and they didn't seem to care, but it's not recommended.

Putting in honey should be fine, worst case they don't touch it.  I'll check on mine tonight as need to organize the cooler, and see how much weight they've lost in a couple weeks at 54Fs.

My struggling C. nearcticus queen/worker I think are going to die during hibernation.  They aren't properly prepared (not eating enough), and keep moving, so they aren't happy.  I will probably just put them in and hope for the best, but if it they die, it happens.

#1393 Offline noebl1 - Posted October 24 2018 - 1:44 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

haha just got most of them in, a bit full this season:

qXnkoNZ.jpg

• ctantkeeper, Nathant2131 and ConcordAntman like this

#1394 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted October 25 2018 - 4:46 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
šŸ˜²šŸ¤ÆThatā€™s a lot of colonies! Iā€™ll post when my cooler arrives and Iā€™ve gotten my colonies settled.

Edited by ConcordAntman, October 25 2018 - 4:54 AM.

• noebl1 likes this

#1395 Offline noebl1 - Posted October 25 2018 - 4:09 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Thatā€™s a lot of colonies! Iā€™ll post when my cooler arrives and Iā€™ve gotten my colonies settled.

I'll likely thin them out in the Fall and find new homes for them.  Approximately 20 colonies or so, too many.

#1396 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted November 2 2018 - 12:37 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
Iā€™m clearly a novice at this. My hibernation plans hit a snag. The website information on the wine cooler only had outside dimensions. I estimated the inner wall thickness and guessed wrong so the cooler doesnā€™t fit all my colonies šŸ™„. While Iā€™m returning this cooler and ordering a larger one, I noticed this over one of the water towers. It just looks like loose sand stuck on the edge of the tower. Should I worry about it? Could it be mold?
gallery_3143_1270_17087.jpeg

Edited by ConcordAntman, November 2 2018 - 12:39 PM.

#1397 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted November 8 2018 - 6:17 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
Waiting for this to arrive on Tuesday so I can finally hibernate my colonies.
gallery_3143_1270_84592.jpeg
Itā€™s adjustable down to 46 degrees.

Edited by ConcordAntman, January 4 2019 - 7:11 PM.

#1398 Offline noebl1 - Posted January 9 2019 - 2:58 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Everything here is still in hibernation.  So far only a couple expected losses (like Myrmica queen.)  Before hibernation I lost pretty much everything that had I had experimented with using aquarium filter floss instead of cotton in the test tube, so not much new queens going into the Spring (which stinks as had a bunch of Aphaenogaster.)  I've been using this down time to try to figure out nesting options for next year, as a few colonies need them for sure. 

My P. imparis went into a forced winter diapause middle of December after they finally gorged themselves of protein and sugars, and then stopped foraging. I'll likely taken them out in a few weeks to give them a chance to get into gear for the season. They usually don't do much anyways until they are hungry, which could be a bit based on how full they were.

• Nathant2131 and ConcordAntman like this

#1399 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 10 2019 - 8:54 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Okay, I saw something that has me shook right now.

A Prenolepis imparis alate. 
In January.

What..

I'm not putting this in as a nuptial flight record, since it probably was an oddity, but this is pretty ridiculous tbh.

• noebl1 and Nathant2131 like this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#1400 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted January 12 2019 - 8:11 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
I finally got my cooler the first week of December and moved my 3 colonies. I replenish the water and change out the honey roughly every 10 days. Iā€™m perhaps being a bit anal about it but these are my first successful colonies and Iā€™m anxious to have them survive winter. So far, it looks like Iā€™ve just lost one worker from my smallest colony. From what Iā€™ve read, the first week of December was perhaps 4 weeks late for starting hibernation. Iā€™m thinking about ā€œwakingā€ them in the March-April timeframe (Crystals thread on hibernation suggested 4 months is optimum for C pennsylvanicus). I hope my delay in getting a cooler didnā€™t cause my ants to burn off too much of their winter foodstores. Two questions; would you suggest I shorten the hibernation to 3 months? Also, how quickly do you bring the temperature up to room temperature?
  • noebl1 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users