• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen Ant Spotting/Mating Chart

anting mating queens swarming alates mating flight nuptial flight

• Please log in to reply
1665 replies to this topic

#401 Offline Vendayn - Posted May 26 2016 - 6:39 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I saw a bunch of Solenopsis aurea/amblychila alates outside their nests yesterday evening (Irvine California). I didn't see any take off (it was windy in that spot), but their flights should be any day now. They fly in the evening, right before the sun goes down. They might have even flown yesterday, but I was a bit too early.

Even though its cold compared to last year, I guess ants are still wanting to fly and it might just be warm enough for some ants to do their mating flights.

• Stmendoza1011 likes this

#402 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 26 2016 - 6:51 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

How weird. It's barely been over 60 degrees in the evenings lately.

#403 Offline Vendayn - Posted May 27 2016 - 5:47 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Yeah, night has been pretty cold. Day time temperatures are kinda warm though. It just drops so much at night. I think in the day time, its just warm enough for there to be some small flights (or at least enough for alates to come out).

#404 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 30 2016 - 5:20 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

The camponotus here in Massachusetts flew 26th - 28th until the cold front came thru on the 29th.  Original link here: http://www.formicult...-20#entry34929  26th was the major flights for sure, with a handful sighted later afternoon into the evenings the rest of the days.

On a side note, watched a Lasius Niger colony moving today into tonight, and noticed it was moving alates.  Saw a male which wasn't much bigger than the worker carrying it, dragged with the rest of the important items from the old nest.  Pretty good sized colony as noticed them moving around 3pm today, and still going :)

Edited by noebl1, May 30 2016 - 6:03 PM.

#405 Offline LC3 - Posted May 31 2016 - 2:37 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Heads up Tetramorium sp.e are starting to fly in Richmond, BC, I found one queen dealate today. I'd imagine that they would also start to fly around Metro Vancouver too (If they are found in that area). 

They usually fly early in the morning but you can find the some queens in the afternoon.

#406 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 1 2016 - 8:23 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I saw Brachymyrmex on June 2, 2016 in the evening after thunderstorm in Georgia, US.  Temp that day was high of 90s.

Also Solenopsis invicta that afternoon.

Edited by drtrmiller, June 1 2016 - 8:24 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#407 Offline AntsTexas - Posted June 2 2016 - 12:16 PM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

when does Camponotus sayi fly??  can't find it anywhere.....

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#408 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 3 2016 - 1:25 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Species: S. molesta, Temnothorax sp. [181].

Date: 6-2-2016

Time: 8:00 PM

Temperature: 78 F

Humidity: 45%

Wind: Light

Rain: None

Species: Liometopum occidentale, Camponotus essigi, Camponotus CA02, Solenopsis xyloni, Crematogaster mutans, Lasius sp.

Time: 9:00 PM

Temperature: 73 F

Humidity: 55%

The Temnothorax were swarming in the thousands, coating my whole windshield just as I pulled up. Thirty minutes later, the flight was over and they were nowhere to be seen, other than a few randoms that showed up on the black light after it got dark.

The Camponotus were the largest Camponotus males I have ever seen. They measured over 13mm in length. I also found one queen that I think was the same species. I'm pretty sure these were both the same species as the giant Camponotus that are all over that area. I have always suspected they are C. ocreatus.

the Crematogaster was the strange parasitic looking ones that always end up dying.

The Lasius was an orange parasitic Lasius. It's very strange to find them in the hills out there where it doesn't snow anywhere within 60 miles.

#409 Offline Foogoo - Posted June 3 2016 - 7:03 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Species: S. invicta

Time: 7:00 PM

Temperature: 80 F

Species: Pogonomyrmex californicus

Time: ?

I'm assuming the Pogonomyrmex flew earlier in the day as they usually do but I caught a bunch of wanderers and shallow founding chambers (dug them out with my fingers) when I got home around 6pm. Quite a few of them just outside my house, in total caught 83.  :D

• Cquintero915 likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#410 Offline LC3 - Posted June 3 2016 - 1:11 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Found another Tetra queen today at around noon.

#411 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 4 2016 - 12:56 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

in total caught 83.  :D

:lol: Sounds like a nightmare.

• LC3 likes this

#412 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 4 2016 - 1:18 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Species: S. molesta, Temnothorax sp. [181].

Date: 6-3-2016

Time: 8:00 PM

Temperature: 78 F

Wind: None

Species: Liometopum occidentale, Camponotus CA02, Solenopsis xyloni, S. amblychila, Crematogaster mutans, Pheidole sp., Lasius sp.

Time: 9:00 PM

Temperature: 73 F

Humidity: 55%

Species: Formica moki

Time:

Temperature:

Humidity:

Subverted and I found more of those queens I suspect are Camponotus ocreatus. I have been wanting to find some of these since I first got into this hobby. :D

Subverted got lucky and also found either Pheidole vistana (one of my other favorites) or Pheidole desertorum. They're almost impossible to tell apart.

He also got lucky and found a random Formica moki running around. It's gaster was very small, so I had a feeling it wouldn't survive. I think it's already dead. :(

#413 Offline Cquintero915 - Posted June 4 2016 - 6:13 AM

Cquintero915

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Species: S. invicta
Time: 7:00 PM
Rain: None.

Species: Pogonomyrmex californicus
Time: ?

I'm assuming the Pogonomyrmex flew earlier in the day as they usually do but I caught a bunch of wanderers and shallow founding chambers (dug them out with my fingers) when I got home around 6pm. Quite a few of them just outside my house, in total caught 83.  :D

Hello Foogoo. What areas of the San Gabriel Valley did you find these. I'm from West Covina and I've been looking for Pogonomyrmex.

#414 Offline Foogoo - Posted June 4 2016 - 7:47 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

in total caught 83.  :D

:lol: Sounds like a nightmare.

135 total after finding a few more yesterday. Now let's hope they're fertile  :rolleyes: .

Hello Foogoo. What areas of the San Gabriel Valley did you find these. I'm from West Covina and I've been looking for Pogonomyrmex.

San Gabriel. Just happen to conveniently have a bare patch outside my house with a few nests so just a matter of scooping them up.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#415 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 4 2016 - 1:33 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

135 total after finding a few more yesterday. Now let's hope they're fertile  :rolleyes: .

OMG! Did you actually make test tube setups for every one of those?  :lol:  I would rather hang myself. I guess it's a good thing it's so tedious, or I would probably be drowning in queens.

#416 Offline Foogoo - Posted June 4 2016 - 4:12 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

OMG! Did you actually make test tube setups for every one of those?  :lol:  I would rather hang myself. I guess it's a good thing it's so tedious, or I would probably be drowning in queens.

Yup  :blink: . Had to double/triple up the queens and used every single tube/nest I had. Can't predict if/when I'll next get a chance to find queens, so gotta take advantage of the times I do!

• Okeedoke22 likes this

#417 Offline Reacker - Posted June 5 2016 - 1:15 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

Species: Tetramorium sp. (caespitum?)
Date: 6-5-2016
Time: 9:00 AM
Temperature: 75F
Humidity: unknown

#418 Offline LC3 - Posted June 5 2016 - 3:02 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Yup  :blink: . Had to double/triple up the queens and used every single tube/nest I had. Can't predict if/when I'll next get a chance to find queens, so gotta take advantage of the times I do!

You deserve an award. :lol:

#419 Offline Miles - Posted June 5 2016 - 3:30 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Species: Tetramorium sp. (caespitum?)
Date: 6-5-2016
Time: 9:00 AM
Temperature: 75F
Humidity: unknown

I also observed this flight from Meridian, ID.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#420 Offline Crystals - Posted June 7 2016 - 6:57 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Species: Camponotus herculeanus

Date: June 6, 2016

Time: 12-6pm

Temperature: 29° C (84F)

Wind: 10 km/h gusting to 20

Rain: Rain two days before and the sparsest sprinkle late that evening

Had a large thunderstorm warning and saw several thunderstorms pass over harmlessly with just some thunder.

Only saw 4 queens the entire day.  The heat probably triggered a flight from locations deep within the forest that stay pretty cool all year long.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anting, mating, queens, swarming, alates, mating flight, nuptial flight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users