• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2450 replies to this topic

#1561 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 14 2019 - 1:30 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Curious about this Camponotus. The only species that flies this late in the season are fragilis, and AFAIK there are no fragilis in that area. Could be wrong.

I don't think they're fragilis. Here are two quick shots.

That looks exactly like the C. semitestaceus I found out there before. Too bad I already have a million of these. :lol:

• dermy likes this

#1562 Offline TheAntGuy - Posted July 14 2019 - 4:34 PM

TheAntGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationMoreno Valley California
Anyone have some spot reccomendations along highway 74? This will be my first time going there.
Check out my journals, instagram, and youtube channel.

Insta: @theantguy17

Youtube: The Ant Guy

#1563 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 14 2019 - 4:35 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Anyone have some spot reccomendations along highway 74? This will be my first time going there.

Most of the rain hit along the Taylor area, so just pull off the highway and look when you feel like it.

#1564 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 14 2019 - 10:34 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I saw the most queens right around Carrizo Rd.

There were tons of Pogonomyrmex rugosus queens running around. I dug up a few Myrmecocystus queens, probably mimicus. I also dug up a strangely colored Pogonomyrmex californicus queen. It is a very Orangish red, with a darker gaster. At the higher elevation side of the area that got rain, near Scenic Drive, I found a Pogonomyrmex subnitidus queen.

Digging up the P. californicus queen was really strange because I have never even seen a P. californicus colony anywhere around that area.

#1565 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted July 15 2019 - 12:31 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

When looking for Pogonomyrmex, what time of the day do they usually forage? Anyone know?

#1566 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 15 2019 - 12:40 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

When looking for pogos, what time of the day do they usually forage? Anyone know?

The queens forage in the evening and at night.

#1567 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted July 15 2019 - 2:11 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Thanks

I think I might try to find some of those queens nurbs was talking about. When you say off highway 39, though, is there a specific place? 

Edited by AntsCalifornia, July 16 2019 - 11:02 AM.

#1568 Offline BADANT - Posted July 16 2019 - 7:10 AM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX

There were tons of Pogonomyrmex rugosus queens running around. I dug up a few Myrmecocystus queens, probably mimicus. I also dug up a strangely colored Pogonomyrmex californicus queen. It is a very Orangish red, with a darker gaster. At the higher elevation side of the area that got rain, near Scenic Drive, I found a Pogonomyrmex subnitidus queen.

Digging up the P. californicus queen was really strange because I have never even seen a P. californicus colony anywhere around that area.

How do you safely dig up a queens foundry?

#1569 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 16 2019 - 7:56 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
You use a shovel. Drew has videos of him doing it. Just look up: digging up veromessor pergandei queens, on youtube.
  • BADANT likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#1570 Offline miwu - Posted July 16 2019 - 10:23 PM

miwu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I was there that night again. Found a bunch of holes that you dug up lol. I only found Pogonomyrmex rugosus on Carrizo Rd. but found some Myrmecocystus mimicus further South. I also found three more Camponotus semitestaceus and one Crematogaster queens, all wandering around.

#1571 Offline ariaant - Posted July 22 2019 - 8:51 AM

ariaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

I saw that there was some rain by Ocotillo off of the 8 freeway earlier this AM, 0.65 inches (according to www.iweather.net.com and eldoradoweather.com).  I am looking for camponotus fragilis and honey pot ants, do you guys think that this would be enough rain to trigger flights?  I have never been there before.  Thanks in advance.  

Edited by ariaant, July 22 2019 - 9:10 AM.

#1572 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted July 22 2019 - 11:23 AM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

keeping an eye on oc's mountains as monsoonal moisture surges in.  there was like 1.25 inches falling around lake arrowhead- might be a good spot for formica atm

there's a massive cell crossing around anza borrego at the mexican border.

fragillis should actually be active now with this temp spike 

the rain will have to be good enough to trigger honeypots, some are diurnal fliers, like mimicus and wheeleri. mexicanus and navajo are nocturnal fliers i believe

EDIT- Storms intensifying! 

screen.jpg

Edited by mbullock42086, July 22 2019 - 1:21 PM.

#1573 Offline ariaant - Posted July 22 2019 - 2:36 PM

ariaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

The area around josha tree and 29 palms might be even more promising, it got 1.4 inches of rain over there (so far).  I wonder if its better to go later this week as the forecast states that it might rain for the next three days (ending Wed or Thursday).  Anyone going out today or tomorrow?  

#1574 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted July 22 2019 - 2:37 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I'll probably be going out Tuesday night and Wednesday.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#1575 Offline PTAntFan - Posted July 22 2019 - 2:41 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
There’s also rain forecast for big bear. Wondering if there might be some late season Camponotus afterwards.
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#1576 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted July 22 2019 - 2:53 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Screen-Shot-2019-07-22-at-3-54-40-PM.png

nice cell over 29 palms

#1577 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted July 22 2019 - 4:12 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Is this enough to trigger myrmecocystus tonight and/or acromyrmex? I checked radar and it is at about 1.5 for the whole area. I only have a chance of checking tonight.

#1578 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted July 22 2019 - 4:20 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Is this enough to trigger myrmecocystus tonight and/or acromyrmex? I checked radar and it is at about 1.5 for the whole area. I only have a chance of checking tonight.

in my experiences, if the rain is at least orange on the radar yes, it will.  

Edited by mbullock42086, July 22 2019 - 4:22 PM.

#1579 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 22 2019 - 4:21 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Pretty sure all those red spots would need to sit in one area for several hours before any flights would happen.

#1580 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted July 22 2019 - 4:43 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Pretty sure all those red spots would need to sit in one area for several hours before any flights would happen.

I've seen light rainfall trigger flights.

fyi those areas have been drenched for like 2 hours so far.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users