• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * * 12 votes

Southern California Anting

1569 replies to this topic

#1561 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 14 2019 - 1:30 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Curious about this Camponotus. The only species that flies this late in the season are fragilis, and AFAIK there are no fragilis in that area. Could be wrong.

I don't think they're fragilis. Here are two quick shots.

That looks exactly like the C. semitestaceus I found out there before. Too bad I already have a million of these. :lol:

• dermy likes this

#1562 Offline Theantguy14 - Posted July 14 2019 - 4:34 PM

Theantguy14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationMoreno valley california
Anyone have some spot reccomendations along highway 74? This will be my first time going there.
Currently keeping:
Loads of founding queens of camponotus spp., Veromessor pergandei, D. Bicolor, and a couple other species.

Proud owner of a 30 worker C. Fragilis colony, a 90 worker F. Francoeuri colony, 2 Siberian huskies, 3 cats, 2 fire belly toads, 1 western toad, 1 western fence lizard, 1 A. Seemanni tarantula, and a variety of feeders and a couple random inverts.

Check out my youtube!
https://youtube.com/...shHP2FhJwAbzunA

Have a great day!

#1563 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 14 2019 - 4:35 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley/Riverside, CA

Anyone have some spot reccomendations along highway 74? This will be my first time going there.

Most of the rain hit along the Taylor area, so just pull off the highway and look when you feel like it.

#1564 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 14 2019 - 10:34 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I saw the most queens right around Carrizo Rd.

There were tons of Pogonomyrmex rugosus queens running around. I dug up a few Myrmecocystus queens, probably mimicus. I also dug up a strangely colored Pogonomyrmex californicus queen. It is a very Orangish red, with a darker gaster. At the higher elevation side of the area that got rain, near Scenic Drive, I found a Pogonomyrmex subnitidus queen.

Digging up the P. californicus queen was really strange because I have never even seen a P. californicus colony anywhere around that area.

#1565 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted July 15 2019 - 12:31 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

When looking for Pogonomyrmex, what time of the day do they usually forage? Anyone know?

#1566 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 15 2019 - 12:40 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

When looking for pogos, what time of the day do they usually forage? Anyone know?

The queens forage in the evening and at night.

#1567 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted July 15 2019 - 2:11 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Thanks

I think I might try to find some of those queens nurbs was talking about. When you say off highway 39, though, is there a specific place? 

Edited by AntsCalifornia, Yesterday, 11:02 AM.

#1568 Offline ANTMOON - Posted Yesterday, 7:10 AM

ANTMOON

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

There were tons of Pogonomyrmex rugosus queens running around. I dug up a few Myrmecocystus queens, probably mimicus. I also dug up a strangely colored Pogonomyrmex californicus queen. It is a very Orangish red, with a darker gaster. At the higher elevation side of the area that got rain, near Scenic Drive, I found a Pogonomyrmex subnitidus queen.

Digging up the P. californicus queen was really strange because I have never even seen a P. californicus colony anywhere around that area.

How do you safely dig up a queens foundry?

#1569 Offline NickAnter - Posted Yesterday, 7:56 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
You use a shovel. Drew has videos of him doing it. Just look up: digging up veromessor pergandei queens, on youtube.
  • ANTMOON likes this

Currently keeping:             

Camponotus hyatti (1, single queen, 1 worker.)                     "Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground." -Theodore Roosevelt

"Either you will control your government, or government will control you." -Ronald Reagan

"Leadership is the art is getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it." -                                                                                   Dwight  D. Eisenhower

Currently founding:

---Solenopsis molesta(2 tubes  with five in one and two in the other.  )

---Monomorium cf. minimum(1 queen) Pheidole navigans(9 separate queens) Hypoponera sp. (1 queen)  Nylanderia vividula(1)

Hoping to get soon:Camponotus fragilis,Lasius pallitarsis and brevicornis,Formica argentea,Stigmatomma pallipes/oregonense and Pogonomyrmex californicus.

#1570 Offline miwu - Posted Yesterday, 10:23 PM

miwu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I was there that night again. Found a bunch of holes that you dug up lol. I only found Pogonomyrmex rugosus on Carrizo Rd. but found some Myrmecocystus mimicus further South. I also found three more Camponotus semitestaceus and one Crematogaster queens, all wandering around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users